A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Why is it so quiet lately on Hootoo?

Post 181

Baron Grim

I have a critique of your review.

You should have used "Share & Enjoy!™" instead of "Enjoy, enjoy!".

smiley - winkeyesmiley - towelsmiley - cheers

Post 182

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

You have a point.

I don't think those reviews can be edited or tweaked once they're finished, though.

But when you write your review, you can bring it up. smiley - smiley

Post 183

Baron Grim

I'll definitely end it with Share & Enjoy!™ smiley - towel

Post 184

Teasswill

You can edit your own reviews on Amazon. Can't remember how, but it was fairly straightforward having logged in.

Post 185

Rev Nick - dead man walking (mostly)

Too quiet here - I have gone into a seasonal mode. Watching herself make the place look festive, while I fill it with aromas of slow drying meats. Beef jerky was nice, but the venison is flipping WOW !!!

Post 186

Speaking of aromas, I think we live in very strange times.

The flowers you get at flower shops tend to have little or no smell.

Pine cones, which have a strong and distinctive aroma, always seem to reek of cinnamon when you buy bags of them in the stores. Why the merchandizers do this I have no idea. smiley - huh

Post 187

Caiman raptor elk - Inside big box, thinking.

Maybe they like cinnamon in their grappa di pino, although I think fresh pine cones would give better results.

Post 188

Still Incognitas, Still Chairthingy, Still lurking, Still invisible, unnoticeable, missable, unseen, just haunting h2g2

Well all this is lovely chatter but it's not giving any ideas on how we make it a little more busy and a place that visitors and old researchers might be persuaded to return.

Post 189

bobstafford

I am having problems normally Brunel is my choice but a lot of pages will only open in alabaster.

Things like that do not help

Post 190

Icy North

h2g2's technology platform is basically shot, and we're only going to be able to relaunch the project on a new one. Trying to engineer the old code didn't work - it was too big a task for Pastey. In fact, its days are numbered before some piece of underpinning technology fails or becomes unsupported for good.

The options would seem to be:

1) Develop a new bespoke platform, or
2) Find an existing social media platform which would support content creation, editing, publishing, etc

or

3) Self-publish everything we already have in glossy coffee-table books, then close down.

Post 191

Ouch!

smiley - bruised

Though I like the idea of self-publishing our content.

Post 192

ITIWBS

Re: post 189,

I'm having no problems with Brunel except the http(s) bug and occasions the entire site goes down.

I'm using an Android (Linux) OS, which may be a factor since Ripley was originally developed in UNIX, rather than Basic, as Windows was.

Post 193

Brian Gunner Larholm

Icy,

The technology platform for h2g2 IS of an older variety, but I would not say it’s “shot”.

The primary reason for the trouble in getting things updated (from a technical perspective, editors, contributors and everyone else are doing brilliant work which I cannot praise enough), is down t a lack of resources.

There is currently one person able to work on the code, and one person only.

Me.

I give my time and resources freely, however as the hosting of h2g2 is not cheap, I do have other responsibilities as well, which take time away from me actually digging into the code.

Once you wrap your head around it (and swap languages, I am forced to work with c#, php, Python and 3 different databases, each with their own quirks), it’s not THAT complicated to work with the h2g2 code.

But as said, time is a factor, and currently I am devoting more time to keep hosting bills paid, than revising the platform.

That WILL change in the near future.

Stay tuned, and once again, thank you to everyone for your contributions to making this as great as it is!

Post 194

Icy North

Many thanks Brian - your efforts are much appreciated, and your assessment that it's not *that* complicated is really positive. I'm not sure what assistance I can provide - I last coded before the internet revolution - but you have my moral support.

smiley - cheers Icy

Post 195

bobstafford

Brian.
Thanks for the update I was unaware that there was so much to do.
So you have my apology for any inappropriate remarks smiley - footinmouth and many thanks for keeping things going.
I bet I am not the only one unaware of your hard work smiley - doh

smiley - ale and smiley - applause

Post 196

Still Incognitas, Still Chairthingy, Still lurking, Still invisible, unnoticeable, missable, unseen, just haunting h2g2

I too am appreciative but I can't help feeling we need to try and find a way to encourage people to return at a later date.People who have access to other sites that make it a little easier to participate and may find this site hard to use and navigate as a result.

smiley - tea

Post 197

" editors, contributors and everyone else are doing brilliant work which I cannot praise enough" [Brian Gunner Larholm]

I think a lot of praise should go to you, too, Brian. smiley - applause

Post 198

bobstafford

Agreed smiley - oksmiley - applause

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more