A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Post BBC hootooers

Post 1

Terran

I've an incurable case of curiosity. And the only cure is cow bell...

Erm... I mean I've come back for the first time in about 4 years, and so far whilst lurking (WHAT? It's not creepy at all) I've only seen familiar names (if not ones I regularly spoke to) I just was wondering if there's any post BBC regulars about. And just wondering if your experiences differ from mine.

Post BBC hootooers

Post 2

bobstafford

Hello good to see you again I beleive we never spoke but I followed many of the same threads.
Hope all is well with you, it is good to know you are keeping an eye on us.
Any chance you may visit more often it would be good to have more company smiley - cheers

Post BBC hootooers

Post 3

Gnomon - time to move on

I think you're right, Terran. A few new people arrived but they didn't hang around.

Post BBC hootooers

Post 4

Orcus

I'm pre-BBC too smiley - tongueout

smiley - winkeye

Lurking is the polite thing to do until you've got the idea of any internet chatting place in my opinion.

Post BBC hootooers

Post 5

Baron Grim

smiley - lurk*

*I feel like I'm in the brush with binoculars around my neck hoping to see the rare and fleeting glimpse of the lesser crested Post BBC Hootooer.

Post BBC hootooers

Post 6

Gingersnapper+Keeper of the Cookie Jar and Stuff and Nonsense

~ . . . smiley - bubbly . .. ...

Post BBC hootooers

Post 7

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Dos BBC stand for Bring Back Coffee? smiley - winkeye

Post BBC hootooers

Post 8

Orcus

Remember that there is more to this site than chatting. I know for a fact that my article on audax cycling last year has brought in some new people to the audax community so people *do* read the articles, if not actually take part in chat and join the site as researchers.

Not that I do much writing here personally now - that was my first article in a decade and I haven't done so since smiley - blush

We're not dead yet, just maybe clinically comatose smiley - sadface

Post BBC hootooers

Post 9

Traveller in Time Reporting Bugs -o-o- Broken the chain of Pliny -o-o- Hired

Traveller in Time smiley - tit reading many Personal Spaces
"Not much activity by real new Researchers indeed.
Most have not even decorated their page . .

Probably not many informed of Ask as well. "

Post BBC hootooers

Post 10

I do redecorate my page, but my sense of time is much more leisurely than that of most other people. As the wise prophet* said, the end of the world really is coming, it's just late like everything else.

*Probably Zarquon, while he was caught in cross-galaxy traffic.

Post BBC hootooers

Post 11

You can call me TC

I'm pre-BBC - pre-Rupert, even, and I don't think anyone new has come along and stayed in the last few years. Lanzababy maybe, but she has not been around lately because of RL. So, welcome back, Terran. It's the same old, same old, still ticking over, but the community is diminishing

We keep asking ourselves what we can do - but without the IT backup, not much will change in the near future.

Post BBC hootooers

Post 12

Baron Grim

Yep... it seems the only progress we've seen has been that of attrition.

I know there were some great plans for new features and skins, but it seems the core of h2g2 was so knackered by the scuttering of the BBC that nothing else can be done unless that is sorted and it may be too great a scutterong to be undone.

I am not optimistic.smiley - erm

Post BBC hootooers

Post 13

Dr Anthea - ah who needs to learn things... just google it!

its very quiet, I think I've mostly stayed around due to nostalgia but I dont post very often these days it seems I can go weeks between posts if I'm not careful, I miss the old hootoo but perhaps someday....

Post BBC hootooers

Post 14

FWR

Only been here a short time compared to most.

I do try and contribute regularly, normally in the Post or Create. Don't tend to join in the chatty type threads, especially those that seem to be well established and long running. Seems somehow rude for a newcomer to butt in!

Hopefully there will be more activity now login is possible again?

smiley - cheers

Post BBC hootooers

Post 15

You're more than welcome in any threads I've seen you in. smiley - smiley

Post BBC hootooers

Post 16

FWR

Thanks Paul, always felt welcome on here.

Just trying to explain why newcomers may be a little hesitant,personally if I see a thread has nine hundred and odd pages I'm less likely to join in, rather like being in a small restaurant and interrupting the large family gathering at the next table for me!

And again personally speaking, messing around with my personal space was the first thing I dabbled with, can't see why others haven't!
smiley - cheers

Post BBC hootooers

Post 17

You're absolutely right about updating personal spaces, but as you can see from mine, I am extremely slothful in that regard. smiley - blush

Post BBC hootooers

Post 18

bobstafford

FWR please feel free to join in you i am sure you would be most welcome, a new opinion/idea/perspective, is always very welcomesmiley - cheers

Post BBC hootooers

Post 19

bobstafford

Youmight have already visited, if not are very welcome to visit here "the geezers thread" http://www.h2g2.com/dna/h2g2/brunel/F3555391?thread=8312568&skip=2180&show=20 See you there

Post BBC hootooers

Post 20

bobstafford

You to Terran smiley - cheers

Key: Complain about this post