A Conversation for Ask h2g2

When the Queen dies and they coronate Charles, will they use a real crown or a replica one?

Post 41

bobstafford

Is that some sort of fighting breadsmiley - biggrin

When the Queen dies and they coronate Charles, will they use a real crown or a replica one?

Post 42

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

As in pain de munition?
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pain_de_munition

Or maybe war bread?
http://breadbaking.about.com/od/yeastbreads/r/warbread.htm

or Dave's killer bread?
http://www.daveskillerbread.com/breads/#bread-deli?gclid=COS2yu3i4sUCFUUSHwodBnwAXw

Post 43

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

When the Queen dies and Prince Charles becomes King Charles III or more likely King George VII, Camilla will become Queen Consort. It would require an Act of Parliament for Camilla not to be crowned beside her husband.

I predict rioting in the streets.

GB
smiley - galaxysmiley - jester

Post 44

Sho - employed again!

I don't see why, she seems perfectly fine.

She is also the Princess of Wales. I don't know why people just can't get over it smiley - smiley (but then I'm not a monarchist so I don't really care either way)
smiley - smiley

Post 45

Icy North

Nobody's going to be popular following Elizabeth. Maybe Charles wants to protect William a bit. It's called 'taking one for the team'.

Post 46

swl

Unlike Diana, who took one from the team.

(allegedly)

Post 47

I don't see why, she seems perfectly fine. She is also the Princess of Wales. I don't know why people just can't get over it smiley - smiley (but then I'm not a monarchist so I don't really care either way)
smiley - smiley" [Sho]

Nicely put! smiley - ok

I see it as theater. The world's a stage, and some of the actors are playing themselves.

Post 48

swl

Is she the Princess of Wales? I thought she was the Duchess of Cornwall, or Duke St or something.

Post 49

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

Camilla holds the titles: Her Royal Highness the Princess Charles, Princess of Wales, Duchess of Cornwall, Countess of Chester, Countess of Carrick, Baroness Renfrew, Princess of Scotland, Lady of the Isles.

Post 50

swl

Well there you go. Is Duchess of Cornwall the senior title or is it just what she chooses to be known by?

Post 51

Icy North

The Duchy of Cornwall is the commercial venture - tenant farming, food produce. Probably makes a mint - it's the right one to be associated with out of that lot.

I like 'Lady of the Isles'. Reminds me of 'Lady of the Lake'. Perhaps someone should tell her that supreme executive power arises from a mandate from the masses - not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXmwK2-R2dY

Post 52

If Veronica Lake were ever granted a title, would she be Lady Lake? smiley - winkeye

Post 53

kasard

There is no doubt the royal coronation jewels will be used at Charles coronation if he lives long enough to inherit.
Many of the jewels are part of English history although many are also not in their original settings The Black prince ruby is a piece which has moved about the crown jewels and some like those struck from The Cullinghan diamond are recently modern.
As for his name he can choose his regnal name, as was said before Charles has negative connotations. George vii would be good. And despite the nay sayers Cammilla will be queen if Charles accedes but not yet we all hope

Post 54

To be honest, I think there's a fair amount of hypocrisy in the standard being held up for the marital status of *any* British sovereign. Why wouldn't it be better for a king or reigning queen to divorce a spouse than keep the marriage together and take mistresses or lovers?

Post 55

Sho - employed again!

it's all about appearances. Frankly, IMO, Diana should have just taken the money and the position and had lovers. It's what I would have done. smiley - smiley

Camilla doesn't use Princess of Wales because of the hysterical reaction that would come from some quarters. Can't say I blame her.

Post 56

Pink Paisley

http://www.celebdirtylaundry.com/wp-content/uploads/prince-harry-james-hewitt3.jpeg

PP.

Post 57

I more or less assumed that Diana *did* have lovers. And yes, I had heard the rumors that Charles was not Prince Harry's father. I don't know all there is to know bout that, though. A DNA test could have been done, and Charles might well have been found to be the father. Not that I think of it as a life or death issue. I read a biography of Prince Harry. He seems like a pretty cool guy, whoever his real parents were. William has a very close working relationship with him, and needs him. It might not be enough to forestall problems, but it should help. smiley - smiley Despite the perks of being royal, those two brothers have had some rough emotional sledding at a vulnerable time in their lives. You can and should expect maturity from a 25-year-old, but they were 13 and 15 respectively when Diana died. Grieving privately was an option for other kids their age, but not them.

Post 58

Sho - employed again!

I'm not sure of the details and I'm not that bothered, tbh, since Charles says he's his son. But I did read that the timings of the affair with Hewitt and Harry's birth don't coincide.

Post 59

Xanatic

Isn't that what Diana did, taking lovers and playing saint for the royal family's money?
Considering all the boons to being king, marrying for political alliance or similar seems the least you can expect of them.

Post 60

"Considering all the boons to being king, marrying for political alliance or similar seems the least you can expect of them." [Xanatic]

That has been the longstanding assumption for a very long time. But those silly fairy tales get in the way. What political alliance did Cinderella bring to Prince Charming's life? None! Any young girl can dream of becoming a princess because, after all, Cinderella did.

Key: Complain about this post