A Conversation for Ask h2g2

When the Queen dies and they coronate Charles, will they use a real crown or a replica one?

Post 21

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

"Elizabeth is likely to live to about 120." [Gnomon]

And even if she doesn't it will seem like it. smiley - tongueout

When the Queen dies and they coronate Charles, will they use a real crown or a replica one?

Post 22

"The first Elizabeth did not have a regnal number during her lifetime, she was simply Queen Elizabeth [Bob Stafford]

Likewise the First World War wasn't known by that name until there was a second one. Whatever.

Post 23

Gnomon - time to move on

The current Elizabeth is Queen of the United Kingdom. She is the first reigning queen of the United Kingdom to be called Elizabeth, so she could be called Queen Elizabeth the First. (Her mother was also Queen of the United Kingdom but only by virtue of being married to the king, she wasn't a reigning queen).

I don't know whether the current queen chose to be called Queen Elizabeth the Second of the United Kingdom to avoid confusion with her own mother or with the earlier Queen Elizabeth of England, or even possibly both.

Post 24

swl

Irritatingly for some Scots, she may be the second Queen Elizabeth in England but she's the first Queen Elizabeth in Scotland (we're not overly fond of Elizabeth I, she cut our Queen's head off)

Post 25

bobstafford

Elizabeth was looking after her own security and securing the protestant line.

The Scottish Lords Earl of Moray, John Knox, Lord Ruthven and Andrew Ker of Fawdonside had a hand in Marys downfall Mary had to run.

Elizabeth would not have had to execute her if she had refused to have anything to do with the Catholic plots. And she was replaced by the Scottish Stewarts James 1 and 6. How much more Scottish do you want Even today despite having the bloodline being watered down by some Dutch Greek French and German marriages its strongly Scottish.

Post 26

Still Incognitas, Still Chairthingy, Still lurking, Still invisible, unnoticeable, missable, unseen, just haunting h2g2

Interesting question.

Have they ever used a replica crown in a coronation?I suspect not if only for the reason that it might be declared as not being a real coronation and the monarch has no right to claim to be king or queen.

smiley - tea

Post 27

Bluebottle

Can you have a replica crown worn at a coronation? If a crown is by definition something worn by a monarch, and it is the thing put on the head of a monarch during a coronation, wouldn't it by definition become the crown regardless of whether or not it was actually made of gold and treasure?
In any event, as the nation and/or world's media will be filming every second from every conceivable angle and there would be a fair amount of security around, why would they not use the traditional one?

Still, a monarch doesn't have to keep to the same name after they're crowned. Prince Albert and Prince Albert became King Edward and King George.
Since the coronation of Elizabeth the rule has been that if there has been a monarch in either England or Scotland with that name before, the next monarch will take whichever number is higher. So though there have been two King James in England, the next King James will be James VIII (regardless of the Jacobites). Though England's never had a King Macbeth, if one inherited the title he'd be Macbeth II. The Edwards are still a mess - there've been 11 of them in England, two uncrowned, yet the last was Edward VIII...

<BB<

Post 28

bobstafford

Sounds like a job for smiley - hero Garter Principal King of Arms

Post 29

England's history is a maelstrom full of strange Eddies.

Post 30

bobstafford

King Edward I was onesmiley - smiley

Post 31

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

Charley would be hopeless at being a king... he'd never be able to ... remain apart, as he's opinionated and ... well, doesn't seem good at regulating his resonses and ,,, well being diplomatic, in some ways... smiley - weird I thought the recieved opinion was it would be more likely to skip him now, anyhow, and pass too.... err... whatever his son is called.... smiley - erm Mind, I still s say lizzy is emortal ... she's not of this world smiley - alienfrown

Post 32

You can call me TC

I would think he would stick with Charles, as he's been known by that name for over 60 years. There are other Charles' outside the UK that he could base his image on. (Bronson, for all we know, but I was thinking more of Kings and Emperors.)

Post 33

Phoenician Trader

There have been many crowns. Vic's was different to Liz's. In the Tower of London there are unbejeweled crowns by the trunk load.

The precious stones tend to be re-purposed between designs but the metal shells just get filed. I don't believe that there is a specific stone that must be present to activate the crown.

The pope's triple crown is made from paper mache. The conclave of cardinals has always felt it was a great way to keep the Vatican's Sunday Kid's Klub involved in the process.

smiley - lighthouse

Post 34

Orcus

>Can you have a replica crown worn at a coronation? If a crown is by definition something worn by a monarch, and it is the thing put on the head of a monarch during a coronation, wouldn't it by definition become the crown regardless of whether or not it was actually made of gold and treasure?<

The last line of Byzantine emperors were crowned with replicas as one of their ancestors had pawned the crown jewels to Venice smiley - smiley

Post 35

SiliconDioxide

Perhaps they will use a mild curry sauce, like they do with chicken.

Post 36

Icy North

Do you still get a free crown with a Happy Meal?

Just thinking we could reduce the burden on the taxpayer.

Post 37

You can call me TC

Or in a smiley - cracker

Post 38

Xanatic

What about the Stone of Scone? Will they use an actual scone instead?

Post 39

Bald Bloke

The pack of scones I got from the supermarket the other day, could be used as a substitute, don't know if they had baked them in the oven or fired them in a kiln. definitely Scones of Stone.

Post 40

Curry sauce on the crown is a novel idea. smiley - ok

The Scone of Stone works best in subterranean dwarf villages, doesn't it?

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more