QOTD

Post 101

Baron Grim

Sneitzche!

Gesundheit!

QOTD

Post 102

ITIWBS

Puts me in mind of a popular mnemonic for pronunciation of Nietzsche's name, "Nietzsche is 'peachy'."

QOTD

Post 103

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Super, man!

QOTD

Post 104

Nosebagbadger {Ace}

http://www.h2g2.com/dna/h2g2/brunel...?thread=8310709&show=20&skip=0#pi16

Baron Grim

"At home, DIY trepanning is a lost art. It's very rare that someone becomes an adept at it and passes along the lore"

smiley - headhurtssmiley - headhurts

QOTD

Post 105

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

Trepanner is now Duchess of Wemyss and March,
wife of the 13th Earl and friend of the Royals

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1264891/Mick-Jaggers-friend-drilled-hole-head-high-supported-Governments-drugs-czar.html

smiley - yikes
~jwf~

QOTD

Post 106

I need trepanning like I need a hole In the head. smiley - tongueout

QOTD

Post 107

smiley - zen
Trouble with quotes is... is... IS...

"“Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands,
hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.”
- H.L. Mencken, Prejudices: First Series

smiley - erm
~jwf~

QOTD

Post 108

For me, the biggest trouble with quotes is that they're so hard to remember correctly.

"Alas, poor Yorick, I knew him well" is wrong.

"Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" is incomplete, as is "Money is the root of all evil." And yet we hear these wrong versions so often that we can't get them out of our minds.

Mark Twain said that history doesn't repeat, but it sometimes rhymes. Or did I get that one wrong, too? smiley - blush

QOTD

Post 109

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

But the thing to remember here is that oft-times the revised quote is better than the original.

smiley - pirate

QOTD

Post 110

Nosebagbadger {Ace}

Luke, I am your father smiley - winkeye

QOTD

Post 111

Don Giovanni, I am *not* your father. smiley - winkeye [From "The Stoned Guest," a one-act parody of Mozart's "Don Giovanni"]

QOTD

Post 112

Rod

from >The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel< film
said by Maggie Smith (? I think)

"I hid his little blue pills and he went all night on two aspirins"

(or something like that)

QOTD

Post 113

Quote ---> "I should point out that I'm a liberal atheist in the State of Texas. It often feels like being a penguin in the polar bear exhibit."

From ---> F21546918?thread=8309101&skip=180&show=20

smiley - pirate

QOTD

Post 114

How about being a penguin in the Northernmost Galapagos islands, which are in the Northern hemisphere, not the Southern one.

"Dude, you're in the wrong hemisphere!" smiley - biggrin

QOTD

Post 115

Baron Grim

Yep. That wasn't accidental. I considered it an homage to Gary Larson's famous comic featuring a polar bear wearing a penguin mask to blend in with a group of penguins on and iceberg. He never got so much mail pointing out his error when that one ran.

QOTD

Post 116

smiley - cool
It's a common misconception which can be blamed entirely
on Chilly Willy cartoons which featured a penguin and his
sidekick, a polar bear.

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2013/158/a/6/chilly_willy__just_chillin__by_roperseid-d687yx4.jpg

smiley - ok
~jwf~

QOTD

Post 117

Better image:
http://dianea.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/chums1.jpg

smiley - cheers
~jwf~

QOTD

Post 118

"The Far Side" meets "Woody Woodpecker?" smiley - online2long

Walter Lantz was the creator of Chilly Willy and Woody Woodpecker. he also collaborated with Walt Disney on Oswald the Rabbit way back when, and Disney resented the fact that Lantz won the copyright for the character. This bugged Walt, but he couldn't do anything about it until the late 40s/early 50s when J Edgar Hoover began bugging Walt to give him the names of some Communist subversives in the animated cartoon industry. Walt wished Hoover would go away, but in a moment of weakness he decided he had had enough, and gave Hoover Lantz's name as a Communist, hoping Hoover would go away and leave him alone. smiley - evilgrin

So that, my children, is how Walt Disney earned the reputation for being an FBI spy during a *very* dark time in the USA's entertainment industry, a time when entertainers were blacklisted. Nowadays, of course, we know Hoover's own dark secrets, which organized crime knew all about due to secret photos of Hoover making love to Greg Toland, his top FBI assistant. This amounted to the worst of all possible worlds: Hoover could not come down hard on organized crime without their releasing their photos. He also couldn't open up about his sexual orientation without admitting that he had been breaking sodomy laws himself for decades. Meanwhile, he was making life miserable for other closeted gays....

QOTD

Post 119

"Nowadays, of course, we know Hoover's own dark secrets, which organized crime knew all about due to secret photos of Hoover making love to Greg Toland, his top FBI assistant."

There ARE photos of a sleeping Greg Toland, (clothed, mind you) that WERE taken by Hoover. And it's no secret now that the two of them had, at the very least, an unusually intimate friendship. However, there are no photos of the two of them in any... EXPLICITLY compromising positions, and also no actual evidence that they shared a romantic relationship. There is only rumors.

smiley - pirate

QOTD

Post 120

Baron Grim

Quote: "Apparently even my masochistic tendencies have limits... and surstr�mming was that limit!" - 2legs Thread: http://www.h2g2.com/dna/h2g2/brunel/F64235?thread=8310903&show=20&skip=0#p110892052

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more