A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Favorite words

Post 21

Still Incognitas, Still Chairthingy, Still lurking, Still invisible, unnoticeable, missable, unseen, just haunting h2g2

Balloon is a favourite word as it just seems to fit and describe what it is.I also like elbow just for the way it sounds.I also quite like juicy.

Favorite words

Post 22

Moondancer

Hi,

I had someone asked me the meaning of the word
"obsfucate"
I'm not sure if it is a word if it has been made up. The guy thought it could mean 'side stepping the issue.' It sound like a great word, and I realise it not a requirement for it to be real on here but he wanted to know if it is real so he can use it.

thank you

Moondancer

Favorite words

Post 23

Lear (the Unready)

The OED defines 'obfuscate' as follows :-

1 - obscure or confuse (a mind, topic, etc)

2 - stupefy, bewilder

'Side-stepping the issue' is close, but not quite correct because, as I think the above definitions suggest, 'obfuscate' is really about going out of one's way to mislead someone on a question, not just to avoid it.

You're welcome,

Lear

Favorite words

Post 24

JHP

"Frottage". It sounds even better if you roll the 'r'.

I woke up one morning several years ago with the word on the brain; I don't know where I'd heard it. Eventually curiosity got the better of me and I looked it up. It is the technical term for brass rubbing, but also means the rubbing of one's clothed body against another person's for the purpose of sexual gratification. Knowing this I'm even more bemused as to where I could have heard it, as I don't generally involve myself with either. And never both at the same time.

Anyway, my wife and I have adopted the word to mean "hobby" - again I can't recall why. I think Humpty Dumpty in "Alice Through the Looking Glass" made reference to words meaning precisely what he intended them to mean. So in our house, Frottage means Hobby. I am sitting in our Frottage Room now where we do our hobbies. I have the PC at my end, Julie has the sewing machine at hers. We have a sign on the door that says "Frottage Room" and has a brass-rubbing hung above it that we did in Wales. It's a sort of in-joke, twisting the meaning back on itself. Intrestingly, the brass rubbing depicts a group of nuns who are so closely huddled together that they could well be frotting each other, bringing the third meaning into play.

Favorite words

Post 25

Walter of Colne

Gooday JHP,

Yes, frottage is a wonderful word, but I think you perhaps need to be a virgin teenager desperate for sexual adventure to fully translate the theory to the practise. Not that I would remember that far back.

And it is wonderful to see someone finally giving appropriate recognition to THE guru of the spoken word, Humpty Dumpty. No-one before or since has formulated such concise and definitive criteria. Humpty said "When I use a word, it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less." Alice was not entirely convinced and queried Humpty's pronouncement, saying "The question is whether you can make words mean so many different things." To which Humpty responded "The question is which is to be the master - that's all."

Walter

Favorite word's

Post 26

lillith

Some of my favorite words, strung together, are "The check is in the mail" and "Do have another piece of chocolate cake".

For single words, I like: Libidious, liquid, serpentine, and words that sounds like what they are (there's a word for THAT, but I forget)like splat, squash, plop.

Lillith the newbie

Favorite word's

Post 27

Pandora

"Hello everyone. There's a word I like & one I don't know the meaning ... & a neighbor, with obsessive compuslive disorder says it repeatedly. The neighbor repeats;"toma." I 'bout had him cured of that when he sees the phrase (in the news paper): Do you know your TOMA? The word I'm fond of is: Hoo-doo. It's a type of rock formation, like you see in the S.W. USA.
I think the type of word one likes may be directly related to the early stmuli we each were given as well as the types of music we each enjoy.
There's a rythem words have that are all there own, in the way words flow together."

Favorite words

Post 28

Lear (the Unready)

Humpty Dumpty is a false guru, forget him people. Nobody can make words mean precisely what they are intended to mean, because the relationship between words and the things we use them to describe is purely arbitrary - there is no necessary connection at all there.

Onomatopoeia is sometimes cited as an exception, but I don't think it really counts because for a word to be truly onomatopoeic the same sound would have to be used in every language. I suspect this would be very rare, if such a thing exists at all. For example, my Concise OED gives 'cuckoo' and 'sizzle' as examples, but who *says* a cuckoo makes a 'cuckoo' noise, and who *says* sausages make a 'sizzling' sound? We could just as easily call that bird an 'oo-oo' or an 'uh-uh', if we're going by the noise that it actually makes... smiley - winkeye

Favorite words

Post 29

Contemplation (Zaphodista in a Cloak of Goo)

Wibble.

No real meaning... just fun to say over and over...

Wibble Wibble Wibble

Wibble.

Favorite words

Post 30

JHP

I agree, Wibble is a good one. I think you have to be careful where you say it though - meetings for example. People may think you're odd. Say it too frequently and it's only a short time before you might accidentally say "I'm a teapot, I'm a teapot, wibble wibble", and we all know what that means!

Favorite words

Post 31

Alien

Drow!! Definitely drow!! That's also a word to be said over and over and over again... Drowdrowdrowdrowdrow...

Favorite words

Post 32

Growlf is another fun one. Has to be said with the correct growling inflection on the 'wf' to get the full value.

Teapot, hmmm? hadn't thought of that one in a long time.

Teapot Teapot Teapot

Doesnt sound quite right. Sort of like you are trying for 'Toy Boat' and wibbling it up horribly.

smiley - tongueout

Favorite words

Post 33

Scrottle on the bottle

I thought plinth was spelt with an 'i'. But you're right, it sounds too good not to say it as often as possible.
As with moose/mousse, stretching out the 'oo/ou' as long as the situation warrants.
My favourite made-up word is prandibs, which means sbidnarp backwards.
And satisfaction is a good word to live by (meaning 'making enough')

Favorite words

Post 34

Walter of Colne

Gooday Lear,

Humpty Dumpty a false guru?!! Never. Anyone making such an assertion is either being mischievous, or has no sense of humour, or has no sense of proportion, or has misread what Humpty said. I'm sure that none of those could apply to you Lear, so I must have omitted at least one other, for which I apologise in advance.

Walter.

Favorite words

Post 35

Lear (the Unready)

That's ok, don't worry about it...

Favorite words

Post 36

Cloviscat

Back to the words: here's two I forgot earlier:

Permafrost

Pemmican

Don't know why - just love them smiley - bigeyes

Favorite words

Post 37

Huw B

I like "Lloches" but it doesn't count for obvious reasons.

Favorite words

Post 38

Michael Notforyou

Thingee. That's all I have to say. It's thingee. Period. No discussion.

Favorite words

Post 39

Pandora

"Hmm, I always spell it 'thingy', but I like your version better! Mind if I steal it from you? smiley - winkeye And does ANYbody know their TOMA?
I must find what it means." (my neighbor's sanity may depend on it! As a matter of fact, If I am unable to stop him saying, "toma,"
I may go a tad 'loonie-toons' my damnself! Er, that's the 'clinical' term.)

Removed

Post 40

This post has been removed.

Key: Complain about this post