A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Advertising stupidity - now with added Title

Post 841

Br Robyn Hoode - Navo - complete with theme tune

Plod, on the one hand, I agree with you... But I think that the people in MARKETING are the ones who are soulless, I had hoped that the faces, the people who's souls are being hijacked by the marketing people, would have reined them in by utilising some morals and principles.

But I KNOW I'm a rubbish salesperson. I cant do that to people, knowingly.

Post 842

plodrog

< But I KNOW I'm a rubbish salesperson. I cant do that to people, knowingly. >

Robin,
I concur wholeheartedly. You struck a nerve there as I had one such experience when trying to change jobs during a period of redundancy. I passed everthing they threw at me with flying colours but couldn't do the job because I couldn't endorse the product. No names!!

Is it any wonder that we don't understand some of the Ad people? I think they award from within, ie: their prize giving winners are chosen by other Advertisers. Esoteric so to speak.

The advertising stupidity is largely within the consumer market where Joe Gullible shops.

Post 843

Xanatic

I saw a few adverts for Reebok shoes today in buses, which had the headline The Athlete´s Foot. This was in sweden, so I guess people don´t know what "athlete´s foot" is, but still.

Post 844

A Super Furry Animal

there's a brilliant one on the radio at the moment for one of the multifarious directory enquiries services.

The basic premise is that the husband has booked a holiday for himself and the Mrs. on the quiet. She sees a text from the DE service, signed with a lady's name and an "x" for a smiley - kiss.

On the basis of this she tells her husband to pack his bags. His response? "Wot, for the holiday?" "No", she replies.

So, what does this mean? "Use our service and your wife will think you're having an affair and throw you out of the house." Not a great incentive, methinks.

RFsmiley - evilgrin

Post 845

Black-Eyed Girl... Sometimes the only sane answer to an insane world is insanity!

I know someones already mentioned it but the RAF ad thingy annoys the bejesus outta me.

Surely if you're actually flying in the RAF, you DO need to be a pilot, yes there are other jobs within the airforce but flying should be reserved for pilots and pigeons!

Theres a few others that I thought of last night but the silly system wouldn't let me sign in so I couldn't post them and now I cant remember them! smiley - grr

Post 846

Marketing is like the music and fashion indusries... They become whirlpools of reality where the outside world is relevant (like a flame, it needs oxygen to burn...) but not IMPORTANT... All the incentives, kudos, backups and thoughts become internal, they come from the 'inside' and reality is warped (i.e. OUR reality)

As far as Joe Gullible goes, I think that while it's easy to say 'Hey, you didnt bother thinking, you deserve what you get' but I do think that you need to A) make sure people are educated enough in the first place to make INFORMED decisions (particularly about finances!), and then I'm comfortable letting them make their own mistakes, but there's also various vulnerable groups out there who are easily confused/convinced/out-talked. Older people are one such group I would highlight. The world has changed a LOT and can be quite frightening, so someone appearing to be trustworthy and offering a safe way to make sure you're comfortable and looked after can be very seductive. Same as a mouth spray to make you lose weight... If someone wants something, they'll often buy the thing that offers the easiest route to it... Or that which is endorsed by someone familiar (June Whitfield you misguided fool!)

Post 847

I apologise for one of the worst-constructed posts in the world, ever!

smiley - footinmouth

Post 848

Secretly Not Here Any More

"I think that the people in MARKETING are the ones who are soulless"

We also eat babies, and go out raping and pillaging. Oh, and kick elderly women in the face. We get commission for that. smiley - tongueincheek

Post 849

Glad to hear it... Not worth it if you're not getting paid extra, is it?

(semismiley - tongueincheek)

Post 850

Nah, the wear and tear on my nice shoes (bought on the profits of human misery no less!) means that I'm not prepared to put the boot into Ethel without substantial financial recompense.

Post 851

plodrog

I didn't know they made shoes that walk sideways for you? smiley - smiley

Post 852

That's gone right over my head...

Post 853

plodrog

You have the hat, too?

Post 854

Riiiight...

Post 855

plodrog

I used to be a wicket keeper!

I can catch too.smiley - biggrinsmiley - biggrin

...and in the media industry to boot. If you'll excuse the pun? smiley - smiley

Post 856

Aw, wear and tear? You olnly wear them for a week anyway then you pass them on to the needy (royalty, actors, that sort of thing...)

Post 857

I wish I could afford a new pair of shoes a week...

Post 858

plodrog

We strayed from the theme... and no sign of the police! As usual.

What about cars being floated into the strato by bunches of balloons..? And I'm a bit off the floor.

Post 859

Yeah, not impressed with those balloony ads but generally dont care much.

I'm always in fits at the men's hair dye ad... 'He's Right on Target!' smiley - laughsmiley - snork

Post 860

plodrog

Yeah a real donk!

I think it's more relevant when they're lying in that 'close' embrace! OOPS smiley - runsmiley - magic

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more