A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What Films have you seen recently?

Post 4201

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

Tomorrow morning the Senior Screen is back at my local cinema, and my first opportunity to enjoy a film on the big screen for a while (seems like forever)

Thought I'd check the website and see what was on offer.

Madagascar 2
Yes Man
Australia

Oh poo. Must check the plans on that cloning machinesmiley - run

Post 4202

anachromaticeye

Taken. I quite liked this: it was about 20 minutes of awkward, Holly-Valance-cameo featuring estranged daughter nonsense followed by 70 minutes of a tall Geordie man (Liam Neeson) killing Albanians. Not just any Albanians though, naughty Albanians. He must have got through about a hundred. My better half said a lot of the killings were very good, though I'm not sure how she is qualifying this judgement. It was a bit like the Bourne films but without annoying Matt Damon looking like he's forgotten what he had for breakfast.

The Fog. It was on telly again. Hooray! Lepers in dry ice. Not to mention a supporting cast of very-eighties-haircuts, very-residual-seventies-hair-cuts and very spooky synthesizer music which jarred strangely with an unparalleled occurrence of body warmers.

I'll Sleep When I'm Dead. Clive Owen, like the abominable Keira "Lockjaw" Knightly, experiments with the "a bad case of tetanus" method of acting... No, it wasn't that bad smiley - erm the acting and the film wasn't that bad, not the case of tetanus. It was kind of slow and grimy but still very watchable. Is Malcolm McDowell ever a goodie?

Burn after Reading. A few other people have said things about this so I'll just say I liked it a lot and thought it felt very European for a Cohen brothers feature.

Post 4203

Australia. Phew. An epic and a classic. Harrowing and feel-good. Both leads fantastic.
smiley - applause

I reckon Nicole Kidman has had a boob-augmentation done, unless they superimposed her head on Angelina Jolie's body.

smiley - blueI can't believe Nicole gets paid millions to smiley - kiss Hugh Jackman. *sigh*

Post 4204

psychocandy-moderation team leader

Last night we watched "A Matter of Loaf and Death" (thanks, Sho! smiley - kiss). I laughed so hard at some of the little gags (the scene like the one in that awful "Ghost" movie, and the fact that the forklift wore oven mitts, for example) that my stomach hurt.

smiley - popcorn

a_a_e > "Is Malcolm McDowell ever a goodie?"

Yep- "If...", "O Lucky Man!", "Get Crazy", (three of my favorite films), and "Britannia Hospital". smiley - smiley

Post 4205

I'll watch out for "A Matter of Loaf and Death"smiley - ok

Tomorrow morning at the SS one of the films on offer is "Slumdog Millionaire" - which last night won 2 Golden Globes, and is tipped for an Oscar. Expect a full reportsmiley - ok

Post 4206

toybox

Didn't it win 4 Globes?

Post 4207

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7777327.stm

Yepsmiley - ok

The show was too late for me, so I was quoting my breakfast DJsmiley - cross should've checked before I posted, sorry!

Post 4208

Edward the Bonobo - Gone.

Saw 'In Bruges' at the weekend. Rather liked it! Excellent Vinnie Jones impersonation by Ralph Fines.

Post 4209

Fiennes, I mean.

Post 4210

I'll be lookign forward to hearing what you think of "Slumdog Millionaire", Galaxy Babe. I've heard positive things so far, and I still have a couple of free movie passes to use up...

Post 4211

Elentari

"I can't believe Nicole gets paid millions to Hugh Jackman. *sigh*"

That was my thinking too. I enjoyed the film but it didn't feel quite coherent to me. It's part adventure, part romance, part mother-son story, part moralising tale on the pre-war and wartime plight of Australian aborigines, and part war film. It felt like it was trying to do too much. I did enjoy it though.

Post 4212

It was way too long, I agree, and could have been chopped in half and made into a sequel.

Slumdog Millionaire - I deliberately didn't read any reviews, just saw the bits on TV I couldn't avoid, I prefer to be surprised. The film was good, you certainly see life as it is in the slums of Indiasmiley - ermsome parts were gut-wrenching, excrutiating to watch and heart-in-your-mouth harrowing, this is not a chick-flick but I highly recommend it to all.

Post 4213

Ferrettbadger. The Renegade Master

Yeah I loved Slumdog.... For my smiley - 2cents it is much Danny Boyels best film since Trainspotting....

FB

Post 4214

shiftyakacampo

i want to see that new daniel craig film. metro gave it a 2 stars, but i thought it looked quite good.

and matter of loaf and death wasnt as good as wrong trousers. was too short, everything seemed so rushed.

on the whole very entertaining thoughsmiley - smiley

Post 4215

I've just added "Slumdog Millionaire" to the list- sounds well worth it.

We watched the recently Criterion release of Sam Fuller's "White Dog" over the weekend; the film was previously unavailable in video or DVD format because it's apparently insulting to give the impression that some white USAians are racists. Go figure. A bit melodramatic in parts (Kristy McNichol and Jameson Parker are hardly what you'd call good actors) but overall a good- but depressing!- film.

Post 4216

Groinhammer

Wall E on Monday and Kung Fu Panda last night.

Both entertaining enough, but the extra short 'Presto' on the Wall E DVD was the highlight.

Post 4217

badger party tony party green party

Watched Memento on the telly last night. Some people had told me it was good and that it was interesting.

They were wrong it si totally fantastic and I think I'll watch it again soon.

I realy liked the way that the jumping backward and forward int he story was used to gove the feeling of the protagonists condition and not just as a lay way of creating mystery and suspense. Like in Pulp Fiction.

Post 4218

Yeah - it *is* good isn't it?

See also smiley - book 'Stuart: A Life Lived Backwards' which acknowledges Memento for its structure.

Now, though...I've asked this once before...what's the name of the film, sometime within the last 10 years, about time travel, in which the stucture is dictated by the fact that time travel can only be take the protagonists 10 minutes back in time? It's quite a head ****!

(Other details: it's built by smiley - geeks researching energy...they install it in a unit at a self-storage depot...they have to check into a motel so they can't interfere with themselves while they're time travelling...it all falls apart when someone tries to use it to prevent a murder...)

Post 4219

Deja Vu?

Post 4220

Paolo77- What the crocodile hat was that? someone needs to snowflake that teapot!

Thoroughly enjoyed One missed call recently. Great idea once again from Japan. Alot more innovative than endless sequels.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more