A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What Films have you seen recently?

Post 4161

Xanatic

I got a DVD box for christmas with 50 old b-movies. I´m sure they will be a mixed bunch.

Post 4162

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

"Memoires of a Geisha" (again) worth watching for the scenery alone. And the music. And the lesson you take from it about love and happiness.

My son got the 3-film-DVD box set of Pirates of the Caribbean for Xmas so I can watch those at my leisuresmiley - evilgrin

Post 4163

Sheep in wolfs clothing

My son also got the 3 DVD pirates box set from his grandparents. Unfotunatley, he is 8 and the films are rated 12, so I may have to confiscate them from him!

Post 4164

Sho - employed again!

Dark Night - it was great. I really wish I'd seen it at the cinema though.

Post 4165

Bassman - Funny how people never ceases to amaze me!

A Matter Of Loaf Or Death - along with several million others apparently.

Going to get contentious here.... Not as good as The Wrong Trousers! smiley - run for cover....

Bassman smiley - bikersmiley - cool

Post 4166

Beatrice

I slept though most of Loaf and Death so I'll watch it again some time.

Kung Fu Panda. Lovely visuals, inspired by Hero and Crouching Tiger. Passably watchable though highly predictable story. Good unchallenging slobbing-on-the-sofa fodder.

Post 4167

Kung Foo Panda was OK, I wouldn't go out of my way to see it again. Saw A Shark's Tale the other day, which I enjoyed a lot more the second time round. I can't explain that.

I'll tell you what I did see recently - the re-make of Sleuth. How Michael Caine could have got involved in that drivel is beyond me. The original was just soooo goo - I was so disappointed. I even watched it right to the end - just in case it improved.... it didn't!

Post 4168

Beatrice

Was that the one with Jude Law (What is the point of Jude Law???)

I agree, it was truly deeply awful.

Post 4169

psychocandy-moderation team leader

I can't wait to see Loaf and Death (thank you Sho!).

We watched a couple films on DVD over the holiday. We watched "Woman In the Dunes", which was fantastic. The camera caught every grain of sand in such a way I had to take a shower afterward- which is probably just reaction the filmmaker hoped for.

On a lighter note, we received Dr Seuss's The Lorax and Pontoffel Pock and His Magic Piano. I'd never had a chance to see either before. Gosh, are they fun! Dr Seuss must have eaten a bit of the brown acid at some point, though.

Post 4170

Sho - employed again!

I've just watched (thanks PC smiley - kiss) Voyage of the Damned (the Doctor Who special from last year)

Post 4171

UberGek {Oo-behr Geek}

I watched Wall-E last night. Some guy on CBC Radio rated it as his number one favourite movie of 2008. I disagree. It was cute but not that great.

Post 4172

Orcus

Saw Hancock yesterday, someone got it for me for Christmas.

As said over the page, not at all the film that was trailed at the cinema. I was expecting a comedy, asshole superhero type film with lots of slapstick.

That's not it at all - in fact for a while I was disappointed at the lack of laughs. Then I realised what was really going on...

In the end... good stuff smiley - ok

I was both the Curse of the Were-rabbit and Loaf and Death on Christmas day and sadly, the former knocked the latter into a cocked hat - despite the fact that I've seen it before. I did enjoy the fight scene at the end - very good. It's a shame they couldn't have used the line "You bitch!" smiley - winkeye

Post 4173

Elentari

Wanted to rewatch Finding Nemo last night. It was supposed to be on BBC Three, but for some reason Bruce Almighty was on instead. We watched the first Narnia film recorded from the other day instead. I've seen it three times now and I do quite like it. I want to see Prince Caspian now.

Post 4174

Beatrice

Nyeh, I watched it again and it just annoyed me more than it did the first time (Cockney beavers, bad guy wolves with comedy Noo Yoik accents - it all just felt terribly cliched)

Post 4175

Xanatic

I loved the Narnia books when I was younger, though I don´t recall much. The movie however was downright boring. I guess it´s more for the kids.

Post 4176

Elentari

It's certainly not perfect, but I'm a bit of a sucker for fantasy films.

Post 4177

Sho - employed again!

Try Stardust...

Post 4178

Elentari

Oh, I have. smiley - biggrin

Post 4179

3Dotsplus1

Saw Wall-E. Superb film going back to what animation is all about: characterisation and a lovely slow story that just builds.

...+1

Post 4180

Just got back from seeing YES - Jim Carey at his calmer than usual best. I think his over acting can sometimes ruin a good film, but this was just great - some real belly laughs as well. I found I was the only one in the cinema laughing at one joke - maybe that says something about who I am....

Key: Complain about this post