**FRONT PAGE: Your opinion please!**

Post 501

lil ~ Auntie Giggles with added login ~ returned

smiley - snork

smiley - rofl

Post 502

Rev Nick { Only the dead are without fear }

Or there may simply be far too much competition with the North American generated stuff. Mind, in the 80's, I spent a lot of military time in communities that were well off of the beaten path as well. It matters not. Atleast in this instance, I have half a clue as to what you are on about. TTFN

Post 503

Fizzymouse- no place like home

You could have a look at this Rev if you're feeling really left out.smiley - winkeye

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/onlyfools/index.shtml

smiley - mouse

Post 504

An absolute classic!! smiley - rofl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLYvSWJUBb8

Post 505

azahar

There is a wonderful US television channel called PBS that has always been available in Canada (at least for the past 20 years), and Sunday nights they show the best of British television.

I can't remember offhand if Only Fools and Horses was actually shown there, but I remember the series (somehow). I also remember the Sherlock Holmes series, Agatha Christie, Miss Marple, Yes Minister, Fawlty Towers, Prime Suspect, Inspector Morse ... oh too many to write down. There would usually be a British series programme shown and then a film.

And I remember watching Monty Python when I was a teenager, so that must have been on regular Canadian television (the CBC). And of course Coronation Street was shown on the CBC daily when I was a child. Gaaaa, I can still recall that very depressing theme music...

az

Post 506

It still has that depressing theme music smiley - rolleyes

Post 507

aka Bel - A87832164

Well, the rev has unsubscrbed, so he won't get to know about this anymore.

Post 508

smiley - cool Az, so the Americas aren't entirely backward then.smiley - rofl

smiley - mouse

Post 509

*shrug*

There is always the <./>Info</.> page, or he could lurrrrrr.. smiley - erm read it later smiley - smiley

Post 510

azahar

Wasn't it the most depressing theme music ever??

Gaaaa, can still remember it.

az

Post 511

*takes the noose from her hands*

Now, now, az.. it wasn't that bad.. smiley - hug

Post 512

aka Bel - A87832164

Well, I've never watched any of the comedy series, most of them have never been broadcast here. I remember Coronation Street (I think, was that with -what's his name - who later starred the boss of MI5) as butler?

I don't recall the music though.

Post 513

azahar

<> (Fizzymouse)

It was very true 20 years ago that nobody could touch the quality of British television. Even when I moved there 15 years ago it seemed quite exceptional.

But from what I hear, it's pretty much gone the way of so-called 'reality' shite and other very mainstream programming and has become ... well, rather sad really.

Such a shame that the UK decided to go backward, wouldn't you say?

az

Post 514

That would be Gordon Jackson I think you're speaking of - I don't recall him being in Corrie, but I am very young.smiley - biggrin

smiley - mouse

Post 515

Rev Nick { Only the dead are without fear }

An accidental click, that was apparently noticed ... smiley - blush

PBS is available on any town that has a cable system. But as az can attest, the Interlake district of Manitoba didn't have much of that stuff in the 80's ... I did mention that I have been in areas, "rural", where cable systems were not options. What-ever the smiley - bunny-ears allowed, that's what you saw. CBC, of course, in both official and bland languages.

Post 516

You're right Az, tv is becoming a participation sport over here - very disappointing.smiley - sadface

smiley - mouse

Post 517

*giggles*

B'El are you mixing it up with 'Upstairs Downstairs'?? smiley - rofl

Post 518

aka Bel - A87832164

Well, I'm not sure, either, Fizzy, because we never had a series with the originalm title. The one I'm thinking of was called: Das Haus am Eton Place (the house at Eton Place) here.

Post 519

aka Bel - A87832164

You'd know, lil, I can't tell by the title.

Post 520

That was Upstairs, Downstairs... smiley - ok

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more