A Conversation for Ask h2g2

is a Tomatoe a fruit and a vegetable

Post 21

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

The fruitfulness of the vegetablatious nature of a plant is in the fruitfulness of the explinations which expand the vegetable-like nature of organic matterials contained therein, if the vegetablness of a fruit is more fruitful than the vegetabulationsionus, of the fruitfulness of a vegetable, then the vegetablation of a fruit are indeed as fruitful as a fruit smiley - cakesmiley - zen

Post 22

Baconlefeets

fruit i say fruit i say fruit oh yea to the fruit, fruit i believe fruit it is fruit it must be, fruit for ever more it will be fruit oh yea tis the fruit, oh yea i believe in the fruit, give me the precious fruit and i will show you the wonderousness of the fruitynessness, oh yea the fruit smiley - grovelto the fruit, in awe of the fruit, you must bow down to the fruit, you must believe in the fruit, i believe in the fruit why don't you believe in the fruit, oh yea to the fruit, the fruit is the one and only of all the fruits that ever were and ever will be fruit, oh yea to the fruit

smiley - erm it's vegetable int it?

Post 23

Yes.
It is vegetable (as in animal mineral or vegetable).
But, it is an* fruit. smiley - zen praise be to teh fruitfulness of fruit smiley - zen hail the lemon, praise the tomato, praise the mispelt tomatoe smiley - yuksmiley - erm give servitude to the apple smiley - zensmiley - huh its a bit early for me, who is Tom Ato, and which council is he counciler on?

Post 24

sprout

Is your tomatoe any relation to Dan Quayle's potatoe?

sprout

Post 25

Baconlefeets

oh yea to the an Sproutoesmiley - grovel

Post 26

The tomatoe, as I imagined everyone knows is a special* kind of tomato, grown only in Dan Quayle's garden smiley - biggrinsmiley - laughsmiley - doh

Post 27

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

Footbacon,

Are you trying to join the Vogon poetry club? Post 22 should get you in wih high standing smiley - biggrin

F smiley - shark S

Post 28

Baconlefeets

smiley - wow You really think its worthy of the Vogons?!smiley - wow

Post 29

smiley - wow Join the vogonpoets, I did smiley - biggrin

Post 30

Baconlefeets

where be they? I might take a gander...

Post 31

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

smiley - applause

Post 32

Beatrice

Ahemhem. The classification of the tomato depends on what context you are using the word: Botanically, yes, it is the fruit of the plant. But culinarily (?) and culitvationally it comes under veg. And I speak as the poor sod responsible for reporting on the Agricultural Produce of the EU smiley - geek

smiley - tomato

Post 33

azahar

hi Lucky Star, smiley - smiley

So, to sum up. The tomato *is* a fruit. Though it might be called a vegetable by some depending on what people do with it.

az

Post 34

FordsTowel

Thanks az,

Everybody got that!? The part of the tomato that we eat is a fruit, right?
Class dismissed.

BTW, carrots are often eaten raw, and they are definitely the roots of a plant, as are potatos.

Another category is legumes; beans, peanuts (not really a nut), etc.

smiley - towel

Post 35

Gnomon - time to move on

The scientific categorisation of tomato is that it is a fruit, as is a marrow, a cucumber, an aubergine and a courgette. But the scientific view doesn't always match up with the common view. For example, according to the scientists, strawberries are not a fruit, because the seeds are on the outside.

Post 36

azahar

Gnomon,

Please see post 20, definition 2 of fruit. smiley - smiley

az

Post 37

I eat raw smiley - fish does that make smiley - fish a fruit? smiley - evilgrinsmiley - laugh Wahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahwahahahahahawahahahahahahahwahahahahahahwahahahahahaha smiley - ermsmiley - evilgrinsmiley - dohsmiley - sharksmiley - bluebutterflysmiley - orangebutterfly

Post 38

azahar

*sigh*

Nothing *makes* it a fruit. It *is* a fruit. It's just that some people call it a vegetable because, well, I guess they prefer to think it is a vegetable. Perhaps because it isn't sweet? They probably also call avocados vegetables . . .

az

Post 39

Tomatos can be sweet though... smiley - smileysmiley - magic and some people... me included eat them like ruit smiley - biggrinsmiley - magic because, they are* fruit smiley - evilgrin

Post 40

A Super Furry Animal

Strawberries *are* fruits. They're just not berries.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more