A Conversation for Ask h2g2

LessUsed Facts

Post 9641

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

I'm afraid I must concur with Mr. Dreadful. Such an episode never happened. smiley - winkeye

smiley - pirate

LessUsed Facts

Post 9642

You can call me TC

It was about a self-help group who met in a barn. I'm not sure the creature was an Absorbaloff, but it sort of ate the members of the group one by one and you could see their faces under its skin. It was done in an unusual format, as a video diary of one of the group. He had made friends with the Shirley Henderson character. The Doctor only turned up right at the end of the episode. He "dissolved" the weird creature and the people it had digested got free, except for Shirley Henderson who vanished through a crack in the pavement.

At the end of the video diary, the chappie showed his girlfriend, who was a face in a paving stone.

LessUsed Facts

Post 9643

You can call me TC

smiley - facepalmIt wasn't a barn, it was a disused building in an industrial zone.

LessUsed Facts

Post 9644

Cheerful Dragon

TC, if you look at the smileys I think you'll find that Messrs. Dreadful and X are being silly. As for the monster's name, it *was* an Absorbaloff. The monster was the winner of a competition on Blue Peter for viewers to create a new monster for Doctor Who. Absorbaloff is the name the kid gave to his creation.

LessUsed Facts

Post 9645

Cheerful Dragon

Oh, and the 'chappie' was played by Marc Warren, more famous as Danny Blue in the first four series of Hustle.

LessUsed Facts

Post 9646

You can call me TC

I noticed the smileys - a couple of seconds too late. Oh to be able to travel in time....

LessUsed Facts

Post 9647

Baron Grim

Mel Brooks hand prints in front of (Grauman's) Chinese Theater in Hollywood have 11 fingers.
http://i.imgur.com/a3thCUz.jpg

http://imgur.com/g3UeNeL.jpg

LessUsed Facts

Post 9648

ITIWBS

Not as unusual a trait as one might think, Anne Boleyn was also reputed to have a sixth finger on her right hand, though this is disputed, with as little objective evidence on either side of the debate.

LessUsed Facts

Post 9649

Witty Moniker

Mel's was prosthetic, however. smiley - biggrin

LessUsed Facts

Post 9650

ITIWBS

Could have fooled me.

It looked very real.

LessUsed Facts

Post 9651

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

Why not put the finger on his right hand then? Count Rugen's extra finger was on his right hand, wasn't it? If that's the reference then Brooks put it on the wrong hand. Shame on him.

Disclaimer: To my knowledge, Mel Brooks had nothing to do with the making of The Princess Bride.

But shame on him anyway.

smiley - pirate

LessUsed Facts

Post 9652

Baron Grim

It darn well better look realistic or Brooks would never have heard the end of it from all the make up and special FX artists he surely knows. smiley - laugh

LessUsed Facts

Post 9653

ITIWBS

smiley - biggrin Curious point.

I just realized that the alarm on my cell phone is the refrain from the hamster song.

LessUsed Facts

Post 9654

You can call me TC

There were verses too?

LessUsed Facts

Post 9655

Baron Grim

Yep...

"Dee-da-dee da dee da dee-dee,
Dah dee duh dee dee dee doo,
Dadedeepahdadee dee dooh doo,
Dap ah dee deepidee dee dee doo."

Repeat ad nauseum.

LessUsed Facts

Post 9656

ITIWBS

Yup, that's it.

Entirely too easy to roll over and go back to sleep again, but it was the most stirring things I could find in the alarm menus.

LessUsed Facts

Post 9657

Baron Grim

My father used a rooster's crow alarm to remind him to take his evening pills. It was effective and very annoying.

LessUsed Facts

Post 9658

ITIWBS

Thr last time I had a rooster alarm it was a real rooster.

These days, its a flock of morning doves that's been living in my front yard since times immemorial, audible only if one is already awake.

LessUsed Facts

Post 9659

Baron Grim

This was much more annoying than an actual rooster. It was like a rooster bred with one of those hamsters, very repetitive. It was really bad when my dad's phone would act up and ignore his finger swipes to shut off the alarm.

(Hooster? Ramster?)

LessUsed Facts

Post 9660

ITIWBS

The bird-like and mammal-like evolutionary lines apparently differentiated from an eight-fingered lobe-finned fish before they ever left the sea, five of the fingers, including a thumb, attached through a discrete set of carpels (hands) or tarsals (feet) to the radius and tibia, evolving into the mammal-like hands and feet, while the remaining sets of three toes articulated through a second set of carpels and tarsals to the ulna and fibula evolved into the bird-like hands and feet.

Hard to say what recombining the two lines would produce at this late date in evolutionay time, though I suppose it might be attempted by means of chromosome doubling, retaining the complete sets of chromosomes of both parent organisms, especially problematical since chromosomal gender determination is reversed with avians and mammals, XY for males with mammals, but females with avians, vice versa with XX configurations.

Key: Complain about this post