A Conversation for Ask h2g2

"Should Chief Gordon Lightfoot reinstate the Saskatchewan Rhinoceros hunt?

Post 13201

j_z_d

On the topic of my typos, there's definitely Something figuratively flying! Actually it could also just be my fingers flying to the Wrong keyssmiley - rolleyes

You may have a point, on the first topic. I had heard that the Americans were helping with reconstruction, but that could just be the 'politically correct' face put on it...more socially acceptable than mercenaries, isn't it.

Post 13202

anhaga

It's hard to know. Particularly when the 'fair and balanced' US News source doesn't seem much interested in Americans dying in Afghanistan.smiley - erm

Post 13203

anhaga

CNN says they were CIA. It's nice that they also mention our losses prominently.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/12/30/afghanistan.us.casualties/index.html

Post 13204

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

smiley - sadface

Post 13205

anhaga

Indeed, Paul: smiley - sadface

I'm just feeling so sad right now.

(It doesn't help that Faux News right now has 'Rush Limbaugh rushed to the hospital with chest pains' as an urgent headline while the eight Americans killed in Afghanistan are virtually ignored. [I hasten to add that I wish no ill for Mr. Limbaugh])

Post 13206

anhaga

Names of the dead have been announced:

Sgt. George Miok, 28, of Edmonton
Cpl. Zachery McCormack, 21, of Edmonton
Sgt. Kirk Taylor, 28, of Yarmouth, N.S.
Pte. Garrett Chidley, 21, of Cambridge, Ont.

hopefully this http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/afghanistan/casualties/list.html will be updated soon.

smiley - sadface

Post 13207

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Was that the incident in which a Taliban agent infiltrated the Afghan army and penetrated the command headquarters, where he was able to detonate a bomb? The CIA has egg on its face. It's their biggest failure since Beirute in the early 1980s. smiley - sadface

Post 13208

anhaga

That incident one in which the eight Americans died, Paul. The Canadians met with a roadside bomb.

Post 13209

Effers;England.

smiley - rose

I'm pleased that our media reported on the radio I heard earlier, about both the Americans and the Canadians. Obviously they always report when British soldiers die. It seems particularly poignant and sad at present when we are surrounded by a culture that is celebrating New Year. I find it difficult.

I don't normally take part in this thread, but after hearing earlier about the Canadians, and feeling the usual mixed feelings I do about 'New Year'.

So smiley - rose

Post 13210

anhaga

Thanks, Effers (I still think of you as Effers.smiley - smiley)

So often it has seemed that, since Edmonton is home to a major Canadian Forces base, the headquarters and home to three of the four battalions of the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry, these attacks take my neighbors. Two of the soldiers in this one were based here, one of them Cpl. McCormack, a reservist with the Loyal Eddies (4PPCLI).

(don't get me started on the Loyal Eddies.smiley - winkeye)

Post 13211

Eveneye--Eegogee--Julzes

Hopefully, MSNBC's Keith Olberman finally did in that Rush Limbaugh. Now, back to mourning the loss of some intelligent (and presumably mostly decent) people...

Post 13212

Eveneye--Eegogee--Julzes

Any reader who thinks this is all Canadians and a Canadian just said that should come looking for me near Philadelphia if it pisses you off and leave our friends to the north alone.smiley - smiley

Post 13213

clzoomer- a bit woobly

How droll.

Post 13214

j_z_d

Happy 2010/new year everyone!

Post 13215

anhaga

finally having my morning smiley - coffee. I didn't even stay up late, but I slept past ten.smiley - erm

Happy New Year, all.smiley - smiley

Post 13216

taliesin

smiley - yawn

smiley - erm

smiley - cappuccinosmiley - cappuccino

smiley - erm

smiley - cappuccino

smiley - boing

Happy New Year!

smiley - smiley

Post 13217

j_z_d

And my 'first day of this new year' question : what was your beverage-of-choice last night?

I had 2 actually,(Capt.smiley - pirateMorgan)spiced rum & egg nog earlier in the evening then later a couple small glasses of Fonseca ruby port later

Post 13218

anhaga

I don't remember.smiley - erm

smiley - winkeye

Same as every other night.smiley - smiley

Post 13219

j_z_d

Hmm two 'later's...no I also got to bed reasonably early...however I was also up early(well before 7), possibly signalling a return to 'morning person' status for 2010, y'think?

Post 13220

j_z_d

Oh & smiley - redwine news(of sorts)anhaga-as both took place last year...although that Is Really quibbling at this point, isn't it.smiley - laugh

Mysmiley - chefbrother is now heading-up the kitchen staff at a recently-opened wine & whisky establishment that-as I interpret it anyway-takes it's name from the Scottish forerunner of the modern hostel: http://www.thebothy.ca

On a personal note, I had-in late Dec.-sampled & bought 3 bottles(gave 2 as gifts)of a Very impressive-I thought-Chilean Carmenere http://www.winesofchile.org/the-winesa/wine-varieties/carmenere

Key: Complain about this post