A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Petty Hates

Post 12961

Pastey

Handheld filmography is brilliant! *So* brilliant that nobody's ever thought to invent something like a Stedicam.

Oh, hang on... smiley - biggrin

To be fair, used right, it works. But Blair Witch doesn't in my opinion smiley - erm

Petty Hates

Post 12962

Pink Paisley

Wobblycam seems to be going out of fashion on TV thank goodness. For a couple of years everything seemed to wobble about pointlessly. Never mind the idea of being involved and it being POV. When I am standing looking at things the world doesn't wobble around! Except at the weekends of course.

PP.

Petty Hates

Post 12963

winnoch2 - Impostair Syndromair Extraordinaire

Agreed. Many a time i've put on a film with the 'homemade movie' effect (we'll ignore the fact for now that most domestic video cameras have had image stabilsation built-in for years now) and prayed that it's only used sparingly.. then 40 minutes in, i realise the whole bleedin' thing is going to be that way smiley - ermsmiley - wah

Petty Hates

Post 12964

You can call me TC

I nearly walked out of The Hunger Games because the beginning was all wobbly.

Petty Hates

Post 12965

Cheerful Dragon

A few years ago I saw a few minutes of an episode of Battlestar Galactica. (The remake, not the original.) I only watched a few minutes because the camera work gave me vertigo and made me feel ill.

Petty Hates

Post 12966

Lusus

I must have mentioned before that the BBC is in danger of becoming the 'Grauniad' of internet news reporting, and this headline confirms it:

"More UK workers earning less than living wage, research shsuggestsows"

How could such an appalling error go unnoticed?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-23953573

Petty Hates

Post 12967

You can call me TC

They should give people employment doing proofreading.

(They've changed it now. You should have taken a screen shot.)

It's those apostrophes that go unnoticed.

Petty Hates

Post 12968

Pastey

The BBC News website is utterly abysmal when it comes to spelling and grammar mistakes, and that's even by my standards!

Petty Hates

Post 12969

Pink Paisley

Robert Peston. Or,........at least,..his style,........so far as I know, he may be a lovely,...guy.

Robert Peston,........is a BBC,....Business,....journalist that I,.........hear on Radio 5 frequently,.........(and I think he does,........some TV too).

His delivery,......is hesitant and,....languid. It,.....drives me nuts and,...distracts from the,.......story.

P............P.

Petty Hates

Post 12970

Pastey

I don't think Robert Peston can be submitted as a petty hate. He's a huge annoyance. As you say though, maybe not him as I've never met the guy, but I know exactly what you mean about his delivery style, it drives me nuts too!

Petty Hates

Post 12971

Reality Manipulator

Politicians and Bureaucrats.

Petty Hates

Post 12972

Pastey

First against the wall when the revolution comes!

Petty Hates

Post 12973

Sho - employed again!

people on the train during the rush hour who are going on holiday with a suitcase the size of a caravan who simply don't get it that if they place said suitcase in the entrance to the train, and then stand next to it - they are going to get 42 elbows in the face as everyone gets on - and then 42 elbows in the face (at speed) as everyone gets off at a run for their connecting train/bus/tram.

and especially those who then go on the escalator with their suitcase/caravan and stand side by side yakking obliviously - and then get all narky when someone tells them to get out of the way, pronto

smiley - smiley

Petty Hates

Post 12974

You can call me TC

Oh yes - escalators. People who complain that others don't stand on the right to let those in a hurry scramble along on the left should please remember that this rule only applies in the UK. In the London tube a large proportion of travellers are visitors or foreigners who are quite unaware that they are doing anything wrong.

I wish that rule applied the world over, so we could all travel happily on escalators and moving walkways.

Petty Hates

Post 12975

Sho - employed again!

but usually, no matter where you are, you can see that some people want to go faster, so really it's no matter what side you stand, as long as it's not two abreast or otherwise blocking them.

Just the same as people who can't walk in a straight line so when you're running for a bus (or just in a hurry) you can slalom round them.

Petty Hates

Post 12976

Pit - ( Carpe Diem - Stay in Bed )

Love, you´ re first when you are fat enough not to allow anyone to pass.
People like you don´t have the right of weight.

Petty Hates

Post 12977

Dea.. - call me Mrs B!

This would be hubby's PH but not mine extrapolated from above - Christmas Eve shopping crowds. He hates the whole elbowing people in the street to try and get through and muscling your way through a crowd. He's a country boy and not too fond of 'folks'.

Me, I LOVE it - like getting to the front at a festival or concert - DDD would have us at the back on a comfy deck chair with built in water cooler and handy snacks packed with binoculars to see the half mile away act.

I call it crowd smooching, sliding on in through the miniscule spaces in a huge crowd and going with the flow, soaking the atmosphere even on Christmas Eve when people are starting to get ratty, a real highlight of the year for me.

Petty Hates

Post 12978

KB

Airlines and travel sites emailing me with holiday suggestions. I don't lack *ideas* for holidays, but if they want to give me more money and get me extra time off work, I'm listening! smiley - ok

Petty Hates

Post 12979

Pink Paisley

Software and software updates that attempt to fool you into also loading other stuff that is irrelevant and that you don't want.

Just updating real player there was a 'install chrome as your DEFAULT browser'. Not just A browser, but my DEFAULT browser. And the box comes ready ticked so the unwary get caught.

I have narrowly avoided browser tool bars as well. And on one occasion DID add a default search engine that I didn't want and took ages to get rid of.

Grrrrrrr!

PP.

Petty Hates

Post 12980

winnoch2 - Impostair Syndromair Extraordinaire

Totally with you there. My current peave is GOM media player which tries to make itself the default player for everything regardless of previous preferences, add toolbars and default search engines EVERY time it updates

Funny thing is it's AVG which attempts the hijacks above. So a firm which exists to fight malware and viruses causes what looks like a malwarre hijacking to the uninitiated. Home pages, default search and toolbar all suddenly changes to AVG unless you click 'advanced' options during the GOM update and untick the boxes.

I usually catch this but last time I forgot to untick the boxes so had to uninstall everything. AVG's 'sorry to see you go'smiley - rolleyes uninstall feeback page got a fair piece of my mind i'll tell you smiley - evilgrin

Key: Complain about this post