A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Can anyone recommend a damn fine book to read?

Post 1

Sam

What's a really life-changing earth-shattering read?

Eh?smiley - smiley

Post 2

Saturnine

"A Certain Age" by Rebbecca Ray

Post 3

Mu Beta

What was the last life-changing earth-shattering (or at least mildly good) thing that you read? I'd have plenty of recommendations if I knew which way your tastes ran...

B

Post 4

Marjin, After a long time of procrastination back lurking

There seems to be a series called "a hitchhikers guide to the galaxy"smiley - smiley

Post 5

Mu Beta

Never changed my life, sorrysmiley - sadface

B

Post 6

Gnomon - time to move on

Sam, have you read Terry Pratchett? If not, they will change your life, because you'll get this compulsion to go out and buy them all, which will seriously deplete your wallet! smiley - biggrin Start with Mort, if you haven't read any.

You could say the same about PG Wodehouse.

How about "The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency", a book about a lady detective in Botswana?

The Name of the Rose - Umberto Eco. Patience required but it's worth it.

In Cold Domain - Anne Fine. A black comedy about family life. Absolute classic! Anybody who has an adult family that they are (Barely) on speaking terms with will find somebody to sympathise with in this brilliant book.

Post 7

Sam

Well, I've just read 'The Idiot' by Dostoyevsky, which I thoroughly enjoyed (though it's not without its problems IMHO) and I'm currently three quarters the way through 'Ozzy' - Ozzy Osbourne's biography which is absolutely fantastic, although it's obviously a very different kind of book.

I'm just always on the look out for stonking good books. 'The Snow Leopard' by Peter Matthiessen was another fine read recommended to me. So too, Joe Simpson's 'Into the Void'.

Post 8

Mu Beta

The Snow Leopard - damn good book.

If you're into travel books, obviously anything by Bill Bryson is excellent - I'm betting you've read those, though.

My favourites are 'What Am I Doing Here' by the late Bruce Chatwin and the excellent 'Driving Over Lemons' by Chris Stewart. Both worth a go - maybe not life-changing, though.smiley - winkeye

B

Post 9

rainingonme

I've just finished 'The Moonstone' by Wilkie Collins - for the umpteenth time. Now there's a really good book. Or if you want life changing, try 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance' by Robert M. Pirsig

Post 10

Saturnine

Although Terry Pratchett is an excellent (near-deity) of a writer, reading Mort didn't change my life...different strokes for different folks methinks...

"The Long Hard Road out of Hell" - the autobiography of Marilyn Manson was the other book that changed my life.

Post 11

Chronicargonaut

Of Mice and Men- John Steinbeck or Catcher In the Rye- J.D. Salinger.

Post 12

Sam

Oh, these are great suggestions! I'm really grateful. I shall ask for one or two at least as Christmas presents. smiley - smiley

Any more?

Post 13

Fashion Cat

Of Mice and Men too many horrid memories of having to analyse it from school!

Good Omens - Pratchett and Gaimen. That is a cool book. Not sure I'd call it life altering though. Maybe thats becuase I read to much! The last book that really shook me was Mister God, This is Anna. A thin book, with relgious themes, but that really made me think a lot.

Post 14

Chronicargonaut

Box Of Delights- John Masefield. It is a wonderful Christmas read, even for adults.smiley - smiley

Post 15

Vip

1984, George Orwell. That made me think.

Post 16

Saturnine

"Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley is more realistic than 1984 though...

Post 17

Math - Playing Devil's Advocate

My fav' political sci fi the dune series Frank Herbert, or is it the foundation series by Isaac Asimov... doesn't matter bother are good and very different, or for fantasy the devery series by Katherine Kerr, or for factual works back to Asimov for basic science stuff, for modern polotics there Tom clancey and the Jack Ryan series. I can recomend more if you've already covered these smiley - smiley
What I do for new books is secondhand book stores and buy as many as I can carry to keep me going and keep an eye out for authers I enjoy; as I generally get through two or more books a week.

Math

Post 18

egon

The books i would recommend are:
The House of Sleep or What A Carve Up by Jonathan Coe
Underworld by Don DeLillo (I'm only a quarter of the way through it but it's great so far)
Sudden Wealth or Brother Nature by robert Llewellyn

Post 19

Blues Shark - For people who like this sort of thing, then this is just the sort of thing they'll like

The best book I read this year was undoubtedly 'Carter Beats The Devil' by David Glen Gold. Fantastic mix of intrigue, conspiracy, romance, adventure and a wonderful evocation of a lost age of magic...smiley - ok

smiley - shark

Post 20

Cheerful Dragon

I don't know about 'life-changing', but "Why Men Don't Iron" by Anne and Bill Moir certainly made me more tolerant of male quirks and foibles. They describe the book as 'the science of gender studies', rather than the 'men are the way they are because society makes them that way' that a lot of gender studies courses seem to trot out. A similar book was published a year or so ago, called "Why Men Don't Listen And Women Can't Read Maps" - can't remember the author. smiley - sorry Either book will make you take a fresh look at the opposite sex.

Key: Complain about this post