A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Wending on my winding way

Post 3201

IctoanAWEWawi

Sorry, me again....

Could you clarify? You say you cannot 'go' your way. Are you objecting to the phrase here or are you objecting to the word 'go' used in this way? After all, surely 'you go your way, I'll go mine' is not such a problem?

Post 3202

Potholer

I have a feeling that 'suspend' comes from a latin something like 'suspendere', meaning to hang, wheres 'spend' sounds harder and more Germanic.

Similarly, how the verbs expend/expand become expenditure/expansion is just one of those tricks of luck that come from English having sets of postfix modifiers with similar meanings, though 'expenditure' does have a nice Italianate sound to it, and so it may either derive from a foriegn word, or just happen to sound good.

Post 3203

Spiff

True enough, Ictoan.

I was think more of the fact that you cannot simply replace 'wend' in the phrase 'wend your way home' with 'go'.

Neither, I don't think would I do the reverse to your example:

"You wend your way, and I'll wend mine."

Although I think (?) this is grammatically correct and makes sense, I would be very surprised if anyone said it in my presence! smiley - smiley

Spiff

Post 3204

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

Go Your Own Way - Fleetwood Mac (Lindsey Buckingham, Stevie Nicks?)has been playing in my head for several hours now.

I've been resisting this unlikely opportunity to quote a pop song in the Brit Eng thread ..but cite it I have.

Oh, the shame of it... smiley - aliensmile

peace
jwf

Post 3205

Potholer

I also get the impression from 'wend' that there is some implication of following a roundabout or intermittent route.

However, I'm sure that wasn't originally the case, since one of the old English verbs for 'go' was 'wend', (subsequent conflation gave us go/went as parts of one irregular verb), the parallels with 'wind' are too compelling for a mind to ignore without explicit reason, and that reason is now lost in the mists of linguistic time.

Possibly, the regular past tense 'wended' is a modern mis-recreation from the obsolete/rarely used present tense 'wend'?

Eureka

Post 3206

plaguesville

I woke in the middle of the night convinced that "hassle" (remember that?) came from a combination of "harass" and "tussle".
It doesn't seem quite so persuasive now.
Pity, really, after losing sleep.

Post 3207

>I also get the impression from 'wend' that there is some implication of following a roundabout or intermittent route.<

That's the poetic influence I was talking about.
Several perfectly good English words have been usurped by 'poetix', that sense that it is a word so good, so wonderful, it is poetic and can only be used 'thusly'. By default, a lot of Jacobian English has been so endowed.

It is oft thus.

jwf (late of the Globe)

Eureka

Post 3208

Persuasion is an art, there mister p'ville.
smiley - artist
And y'convinced me.
smiley - biggrin

jwf (wrestling with a tassel)

English poetry

Post 3209

Wand'rin star

Gray may have been responsible for some of the wind/wend entwining:
"....The lowing herd winds slowly o'er the lea
The ploughman homeward wends his weary way"
Surely, however, a weary ploughman would go straight home rather than p*****g about?smiley - star

Tangental time lines

Post 3210

Wand'rin star

I thought today was my second birthday on h2g2, but my home page was opened on 1st Nov and I was wan'drin for a couple of days before I found out how to do that. Do you think the original BritEng thread will return before we get to 4000 on this? Will I get 30 scripts marked in time for a consultation session in an hour's time? smiley - star

Tangental time lines

Post 3211

Gnomon - time to move on

Apologies, everyone, I mentioned "lended" earlier and it should have been "lent". There may be a word lended but I've certainly never used it.

Tangental time lines

Post 3212

Wand'rin star

The trouble is that those of us who thought it didn't exist were frightened to say so or suspected irony - such are the effects of being always right! smiley - star

Tangental time lines

Post 3213

Solsbury

Ah so it wasn't just me who has had the Fleetwood Mac tune running through my brain.

Tangental time lines

Post 3214

Gnomon - time to move on

You mean, when you're always right, people think you're right even when you're wrong?

English poetry

Post 3215

Mycroft

As has been hinted at, wend initially had nothing to do with going. It's based on a Germanic root meaning a turn, which also gave us wander and wind. In English the verb originally meant to turn as well, and came to be used in the sense of going in a somewhat Confucian manner. Ultimately to wend became almost completely synonymous with to go but wending still retains some of its original leisurely and non-linear qualities. The regular past form of wend was (and is) wended, whereas went is the irregularized form which was co-opted by the verb go. The reason why wended seems like it's a poetic back-formation is because the -ed suffix's extra syllable has a much more mellifluous cadence favoured by frilly-shirted layabouts: no-one ever proposed on bent knee.

The reason why 'short' words appear to take more grammatical liberties is because most have been around in English far longer. In the case of spend, it has exactly the same Latin root as expend - expendere - however spend got into English (and German) about a thousand years earlier and could thus avail itself of linguistic laxities denied to its more refined younger sibling.

English poetry

Post 3216

smiley - musicalnote
Happy Hoottwo 2 smiley - star
Happy Hoottwo 2 smiley - star
smiley - whistle
May all your tangenital time lines more or less coalesce happily and without confuscian.

God bless you Mycro, y'old softy.
'Frilly shirted layabouts' will keep me smiling for hours. And then I'll chew on 'mellifluous cadence' for a while and later ponder the deeper meaning of 'liguistic laxities'.

jwf - now poetically back-informed, I wendt my merry way smiley - run

English poetry

Post 3217

You can call me TC

Wenden is a German word for "to turn" - or better still "to turn about". For example, road signs will inform you that an open area at the end of a cul-de-sac is a "Wendehammer". Its shape gives it the name hammer, and it is solely for the purpose of turning round when you have gone up the wrong road - yet again!

Cataloges will sell you "Wendejacken" - reversable jackets.

But wend still conjures up words such as "to wander" and "to meander".

And the frilly shirted layabouts reminds me of an example our English teacher was wont to quote to warn us off of using too flowery language. He used to say that they "called a spade an 'oaken-handled implement of toil'"

More odd past participles

Post 3218

Wand'rin star

Thank you, John
I was walking past the bank this morning when the following verse of a Christmas carol floated out on the air-conditioning:
'E'en so, here below,below
Let steeple bells be swungen
And io,io,io
By priests and people sungen'
(the io should be capitalised, but then it looks like Io which doesn't scan)I think this oddity may be a translation from German and the tune demands a stressed syllable followed by an unstressed at the ends of those lines. This "masterpiece" also contains the line,'Ding,dong,verily the sky is riven with angels singing". Is there another collocation for 'riven'?smiley - star

Post 3219

Gnomon - time to move on

Riven seems to be the past whatyoumaycallit of "to rive", a verb which I have never heard of. It means to tear apart. The computer game "Riven" was about a world which had been torn apart. But the word "rift" is related as well.

This brings to mind the word "cloven". What's the difference between cloven and cleft? A cloven hoof, a cleft palate.

My dictionary gives:
"cleave vb cleaved also cleft or clove ; cleaved also cleft or clo.ven ; cleav.ing" which explains it all, doesn't it? smiley - smiley

And then to confuse things even further, there is another verb meaning to stick to something which is:

"cleave vi cleaved or clove also clave ; cleaved ; cleav.ing"

I'm confused!

Post 3220

Potholer

Is there any connection between riven and rend?

Key: Complain about this post