A Conversation for Old Announcements: January - September 2011

This thread has been closed

7 November, 2001: BBCi Toolbar Added

Post 1

The H2G2 Editors

The bbc.co.uk website has been rebranded as BBCi, and a part of this rebranding includes the addition of a global navigation toolbar at the top of every single page on the bbc.co.uk website. As a consequence of adding this toolbar to h2g2, we have removed the BBC Online branding from the top-left corner of h2g2, and have replaced it with the pre-BBC h2g2 logo. (Please note that in Goo the logo doesn't yet rollover in yellow, as we are halfway through developing the next release and would rather include the rollover code as part of a proper release schedule.)

These changes may take a little getting used to, but the advantages to h2g2 are great:

* If you click on the 'Categories' link in the BBCi toolbar, you will see that h2g2 is listed as a category in its own right. This section, aimed at people who haven't been to h2g2 before, links to the most important areas of h2g2 for new visitors.

* Similarly, if you click on the 'Communicate' link on the BBCi toolbar, you will see that h2g2 has its own section on this page too. Here we will be listing three of the five latest Edited Entries every working day, demonstrating the breadth of entries on h2g2.

* The BBC homepage has also been redesigned, and as always we'll be putting in our requests for a weekly appearance here (though space is a premium on the homepage, so nothing is guaranteed!).

* The upshot of this is that h2g2 is only two clicks away from every page on the BBC website.

In short, this is very good news for h2g2.

Post 2

$u$

Er... it's not at the top of this page.smiley - erm

Post 3

Beth

It is on mine.

Post 4

$u$

It is on the 'post to a conversation' page but not the forum page.smiley - huh

Post 5

Witty Moniker

I see it on article pages, but not on forum pages.

Post 6

Jim Lynn

Your browser has probably cached the page. try hitting Shift-F5.

Post 7

Jim Lynn

Oops. Hang on - frames.

Oh well, I'll have to fix that, I guess.

Post 8

Ottox

It's not at the top of forum pages (at least not in Goo) smiley - erm

While it can't let Alabaster look worse, it's really bad in Goo! smiley - tongueout
Well, at least the logo looks much better now!!! smiley - biggrin

Interesting that the three pages mentioned at the communicate page isn't the ones from the front page! smiley - winkeye
Has this something to do with the top5 "problem"?
And has the server problems the last days anything to do with it?
If not - is it a good thing to get more people to h2g2 if the servers can't handle it?

So many questions... smiley - tongueout

Post 9

Witty Moniker

smiley - smiley

*Goes off to ask for a emoticon.*

Post 10

Jim Lynn

The three pages are going up on the front page later today. That page is done by hand from a list we supply to the 'communicate' team (I believe).

No, it's nothing to do with the top 5 problem.

And it's *always* a good thing to get more people to h2g2. smiley - smiley

And I'll probably address the toolbar on framed forums tomorrow. If I try and fix it now I'll just make matters worse.

Post 11

Tube - the being being back for the time being

You're right, Ottox. The colours really don't go with Goo! smiley - yuk

Tube
... wondering whether the bigger influx of researchers will strengthen the need for some new volunteer schemes...

Post 12

Is the tool bar a step to the (AFAIK) impending removal of the PR bar?

Post 13

Jim Lynn

What PR Bar?

Post 14

GreyDesk

Yep, I've seen it. Its on the "post to a conversation" page. Frankly it gave me the willies the first time around as it was unexpected and not Goo coloured smiley - smiley

Post 15

Jim Lynn

It's supposed to merge with your browser's toolbar and not be too distracting. Look on the bright side - we get the big h2g2 logos back smiley - smiley

Post 16

The animated click-here-to-join-the-fun-of-h2g2's-peer-review bar. (Sorry, the PR stands for PeerReview)

Post 17

Lurcher

Bland,man Bland!!

Post 18

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

Any chance of making the Goo version a nice, relaxing dark blue? It won't matter much that it's different from the other BBC pages, as the positioning is radically different anyway so the buttons jump from left to right as you navigate between Goo and other BBC pages... smiley - huh

Post 19

Jim Lynn

Tube, that's not a 'bar' that's a banner ad, and will always be likely to change to advertise other things happening on h2g2. When we relaunched it linked to a page about the changes.

I was tempted to change it tonight to an ad saying 'What the heck is that ugly grey bar at the top of my nice blue Goo?' but I decided against that.

Post 20

Ottox

smiley - laugh

I know how to get another banner! smiley - tongueout

Key: Complain about this post