A Conversation for Old Announcements: January - September 2011

This thread has been closed

7 November, 2001: BBCi Toolbar Added

Post 61

Also ran 1

What have I done - and all because I thought that the last "instruction" on the red icon on the yellow line was an icon on a toolbar.I dare not even mention the word in case I disappear into ether again - and I have no wish to do so before my time is really up. I jolly well paid a lot of money to some education centre to learn that. Or was I deaf. blind and totally incapacitated when I thought I learnt that? Probably. Thank you all anyway for making a senior citizen laugh and laugh. And I'm sorry if you think it is boring. This is the wonderful thing about this web site you only have to read what appeals to you - and no-one's feelings get hurt. I promise I shall try not to mention tool bar again and I shall try and get a refund from the education centre.!!They should not have accepted me as a student.


7 November, 2001: BBCi Toolbar Added

Post 62

pheloxi | is it time to wear a hat? |

my reaction was not a feedback reaction.
just observation that after BBC suits they take over the web.

look out here come the men in grey.


advice:
never see the cup half full or half empty.
see that still something in it to drink!
count your blessing!
Keep on smiley - smiley


7 November, 2001: BBCi Toolbar Added

Post 63

Ottox

* wonders if all the things Tube mentioned in http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/F77636?thread=149960&post=1457940#p1457940 should be considered as a bug 8-) *


7 November, 2001: BBCi Toolbar Added

Post 64

Mark Moxon

In all honesty, Ottox, I genuinely can't work out if Tube is reporting a bug - which page doesn't have the search box, the bar and so on? smiley - erm Call me stupid... smiley - winkeye

BTW, re that Conversation about the future removal of the PR advert, this isn't quite accurate. The PR advert will remain on Alabaster and Goo for the foreseeable future, but in the new skin design (not released yet) we have ditched the banner ad space, as it's not required now we're in the BBC.


7 November, 2001: BBCi Toolbar Added

Post 65

Mark Moxon

Ah... unless you mean it not appearing in Frame-mode Forums - is that the one?

(If so we're on the case! smiley - smiley)


7 November, 2001: BBCi Toolbar Added

Post 66

Ottox

Nah, wouldn't do that! Wait! You just gave me the chance? Ok, Stupid! smiley - tongueout

It's the "page not found" page:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/AA42smiley - winkeye

Thanks for the other info! smiley - smiley


7 November, 2001: BBCi Toolbar Added

Post 67

Mark Moxon

Ha! Love the irony...

Jim's going to fix that. That page is hand-coded in HTML (which is why it's always in Alabaster) so he's got to slap the toolbar on manually. Shouldn't take *that* long - thanks for pointing it out. smiley - smiley


7 November, 2001: BBCi Toolbar Added

Post 68

MaW

I can live with the thing - at least we get our big h2g2 logos back!! smiley - ok

Although on Netscape 4 on Win2000 the top of the Goo doesn't meet the bottom of the BBCi toolbar... that doesn't look quite right, because it looks like someone's just sliced the Goo off and left a blank space (even though there's the same amount of Goo there as normal). I'd post this on the bug report forum, but I'm feeling too lazy this morning, and it's not really all that important anyway.


7 November, 2001: BBCi Toolbar Added

Post 69

Ottox

And smiley - doctorSt. Justin has already reported it anyway! smiley - winkeye


7 November, 2001: BBCi Toolbar Added

Post 70

Bogie

Can the designers shrink the big green bar in Alabaster please? It now looks huge, especially when using a 640x480 screen resolution.

Maybe you could remove the banner advert... It's never used these days and would give you space for something a bit more dynamic or thinner!

Bogie.


7 November, 2001: BBCi Toolbar Added

Post 71

Clive the flying ostrich: Amateur Polymath | Chief Heretic.

soweee! smiley - blush spur of the moment stuck it at the top of my posting decision!


7 November, 2001: BBCi Toolbar Added

Post 72

Frankie Roberto

Ooh, I can't wait for the new skin... Is there a release date on it yet?

Frankie


7 November, 2001: BBCi Toolbar Added

Post 73

MaW

You should know better than that, Frankie.


7 November, 2001: BBCi Toolbar Added

Post 74

Whoami - iD dislikes punctuation

Sorry - didn't mean to get everyone so excited. THe Italics have told me *on-site* that there'll be one soon - but remember that we have a functioning community - anything new is a *bonus*, so live each day as it comes.

Whoami? smiley - cake


7 November, 2001: BBCi Toolbar Added

Post 75

Whoami - iD dislikes punctuation

Also, I have asked for the baner ads to be used as adspace for h2g2 events - everyone should manage - most computers now support at least SVGA (800*600) resolution. Perhaps the BBCi bar also should say 'Search BBCi' to distinguish it from 'search h2g2'...

Whoami? smiley - cake


7 November, 2001: BBCi Toolbar Added

Post 76

MaW

Ah, but the BBC don't want that, they want h2g2 part of BBCi (which it is). And Mark did say that the BBCi search will cover h2g2 as well as soon as they get h2g2 exporting compatible indexes, or something like that (it made sense at the time). Perhaps the wiser choice (and more likely to happen) would be to change h2g2's search button to say "Search h2g2"


7 November, 2001: BBCi Toolbar Added

Post 77

I'm not really here

smiley - erm It only says 'search' on my bar, or have I missed something?


7 November, 2001: BBCi Toolbar Added

Post 78

Whoami - iD dislikes punctuation

Yep - You have 2 search boxes, one that says 'Search h2g2' not on the BBCi bar, and a general BBCi Search box.


7 November, 2001: BBCi Toolbar Added

Post 79

MaW

My not-BBCi one just says "Search". Are you using Alabaster?


7 November, 2001: BBCi Toolbar Added

Post 80

Whoami - iD dislikes punctuation

OK - I'm busted. I am using Alab*ster. It's tidier and loads more quickly, and is easier on the eyes when subbing, but it ain't so pretty.

Whoami?


Key: Complain about this post