A Conversation for Abbreviations

A possible pronunciation of WWW

Post 41

TechnicolorYawn (Patron Saint of the Morally Moribund)

Spirits make me chuck. I don't touch them.

Post 42

Lonnytunes - Winter Is Here

Ok then. Just say use the normal start protocol and then vomitorium.com

Post 43

TechnicolorYawn (Patron Saint of the Morally Moribund)

Is that one of the types of public building in ancient Rome?

It sounds like it should be.

Post 44

Researcher 38090

No, it was just a room within a home, for the use of guests during prolonged feasting. Theres nothing new, not even eating disorders.

Post 45

Modestly profers; an opening through which matter is ejected. Possibly back doors in Roman theatres and mouths in mammels. And then of course its close relation vomiturition - the act of retching

Post 46

Researcher 45275

radio announcers!! around here they don't call their station "ninety six point five" any more, it's "ninety six dot five"
i think they are under the impression that this (along with using a @ every time they want to write the word "at") make them sound like
they are really hip, cool together and part of the scene.

Dot vs Point

Post 47

Rob Freundlich

Radio announcers saying "ninety six dot five" instead of "ninety six point five"?!?!?!?!? AAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!

Listen up, world, and listen good!

"Point" is used (at least here in the States) as the divider between the whole part of a number and the decimal part. "Dot" is used as a separator between other things.

Yes, they are the same written and printed character. No, they are NOT interchangeable!

The "96.5" of a radio station is the frequency, in megaHertz (or is it kilo? I forget) at which the station is broadcasting. THAT'S A NUMBER AND THEREFORE THE "." IS A "POINT"!!! STOP SAYING "DOT", YOU MORONS!

The "3.11" in a software product is its version number. However, it's version 3, release 11, not version 3-and-eleven-hundreths. THEREFORE THE "." IS A "DOT"!!! STOP SAYING "FOOBAR 3 POINT ONE ONE", YOU MORONS!!! IT'S "FOOBAR 3 DOT ELEVEN"!!!

Ahem. Sorry about that. You hit a button that should be labelled "do not hit" ...

Post 48

So maybe the wretched start thingy.ArrowsRUs_TunbridgeWells.com.uk is the way to go

Post 49

KimotoCat

Hi guys.

I've just spent far too much time reading this entire string. And now, to avenge this, I feel I must point out a few things regarding abbreviations in general and the woo-woo question in particular.

Abbreviations have been invented by nationalist scum, who cannot look any further than their own back yard!
There you have it. When foreigners like myself encounter abbreviations like GFK, ASAP, MIA, CIA, K9 or worse, we have to spend a LOT of time trying to figure out what the F people are trying to say. In other words, abbreviations are better only used between small groups.

As for the adress of this neat site, it is either http://www.h2g2.com/addnewthread.cgi?inreplyto=30187 or it is (don't try to pronounce this) Aych tee tee pee colon doubleslash doublewoo doublewoo doublewoo dot aych two gee two dot see oh emm slash ay dee dee enn ee doublewoo tee aych arr ee ay dee dot see gee ai questionmark ai enn arr ee pee ell wai tee oh equals three oh one eight seven.
If everything else is stressed out, why expect anybody to know what a 'com' is?

Either expect people to understand the adress or expect the more likely thing: That people don't understand shite and that you'll have to write it down anyway.
And if you take the time to do that, why not teach'em copy-paste while you're at it? That solves it all, at least for as long as we are dealing strictly via computers.

P.S. In Denmark, the stupid little un-abbreviated nation where I happen to live at present, the typical pronunciation of the infamous WWW is veeveevee, which is actually the pronunciation of three single V's - VVV. Silly, but must Danes understand it.
Those who don't are left behind as the train of progress picks up speed...

Post 50

Cheerful Dragon

Why bother spelling out the address in that way? The 'http://' can be omitted; you don't have to type it in for Netscape and I assume MS IE is the same (sorry, more abbreviations!). The rest of the address can be spelt out letter by letter where necessary, but surely 'addnewthread' could just be read out as 'addnewthread', unless you're talking to some one who doesn't know any English. In that case the whole web site is of no use to them, as everything on it is in English anyway.

Post 51

KimotoCat

No-no-no
Det er ikke alt på internettet, der er på engelsk!
In fact, a lot of crap is available in all kinds of existing languages and a few non-existant or extinct ones.
But what is a 'com'?
(I live in Denmark - as I said - and I have met a lot of jerks who did NOT understand 'addnewthread' and a few who did not understand 'happy-tab' or 'twirdle-you'. I even once met a guy who was unfortunately enough to as: "Internet, who?"
Not everybody speaks English for some reason...

Post 52

Is mise Duncan

In Irish, the pronunciation of W seems to be "wubble-oo", so it seems obvious that the WWW should be: wubble-oo-wubble-oo-wubble-oo.
This has the advantage of being so cumbersome we will stop using it all together...just as I have stopped putting "England, Planet Earth" on my postcards smiley - winkeye

Post 53

KimotoCat

England, planet WWWhere?

Dot vs Point

Post 54

Anonymouse

Unless, of course, you're talking about M$ WFW 3.11. Then it's three-point-one-one because it's 3.11% of a real OS. smiley - winkeye (And 95 should be point nine five. smiley - winkeye)

Post 55

benjymous

com means "company" usually, or generally "american company" in the same way co.uk means company in the uk

A group of friends and I were considering setting up a confusion campaign to see if we could convince americans that the internet is all a big comunist conspiracy

Post 56

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

Damn, this is the funniest thread I've stumbled across yet.

In Florida, where accuracy of pronunciation is inversely proportional to the temperature and humidity, www is pronounced dubbayuh, dubbyuh, dubbyuh.

Lil

Post 57

KimotoCat

Florida? That would be the Yuu Ess Ay?
Bwah, I resent that. (Not Yuu Ess Ay, more the latest contribution to the pronunciation of WWW.)
In Denmark, the correct form would be 'dobbeltvee dobbeltvee dobbeltvee' which, no matter what other people say, sounds stupid. But I guess it's better than 'World Wide Web', which is, in fact, what I have heard people say.
Imagine that:
http://worldwideweb.h2g2.com
I don't think that will work very well...

Not to mention the idiots who think that all words after a dot start with a capitol letter. Heh... http://Www.H2g2.Com ...

Anyway, the pronounciation of H2G2 sounds stupid in Danish too! (Håtogeto)

Post 58

Wand'rin star

Three times double = sextuple. Therefore "sex-u" seems plausible and has the advantage of dragging sex into yet another thread.

Post 59

Anonymouse

Why would you want to drag sex around by a thread?

... Erm.. Oh.. Uhm.. *meep* smiley - winkeye

Post 60

Is mise Duncan

Rope is thicker, but thread is quicker...

Key: Complain about this post