A Conversation for Abbreviations

What's Wrong

Post 121

KimotoCat

I have my own personal solution:
I just NEVER say http:// or www when I tell people about an adress. Most people I know usually figure it out by themselves.

Neighbour - hey, it's the same planet, isn't it?


What's Wrong

Post 122

No O2

Well as long as we're talking to inDUHviduals occasionally we might as well go for broke and waste as much time as possible. What's the alternative...actually working? I think not. So, I present to you..."hyper-text-transfer-protocol-colon-slash-slash-world-wide-web-dot-aitch-two-jee-two-dot-company." But good God, they probably wouldn't even get it then. Sometimes, actually, I get so aggravated that even working seems preferable, so to abbreviate (no pun intended) the agony I'll just say "aitch-two-jee-two-dot-com." Or in fact just "do an internet search, I'm sure it'll show up." Yeah. That's intrinsically best.


What's Wrong

Post 123

Lost in Scotland

The problem, as I see it, with not bothering to say the "www" in regular URL:s is that if you do it regularly, the people you regularly tell URL:s gets used to it, and then, when you're going to give them an URL that doesn't have the "www" at the beginning, they type the "www" in anyways, and get an "Error 404: URL not found" message.
Happened to me a couple of times.

True, Kimoto, we all live under the same stars. Neighbour it is, then. smiley - smiley

LinS


WWWhat's WWWrong

Post 124

KimotoCat

Most people I know try again if an error 404 occurs after they have added WWW themselves. Then they try without it.
But then, most of'em are nerds and geeks. Mind you, I'm not. I'm just another neighbour! smiley - smiley


WWWhat's WWWrong

Post 125

Lost in Scotland

Geeks and nerds may try without the www if they get a 404, but not everyone on the net is a geek or a nerd. I work with a bunch of people that are neither geeks nor nerds, and when I give them an URL, I have to specifically tell them not to use the www, or they won't find the URL in a million years.
And that's workers at IBM. Go figure, eh?


WWWhat's WWWrong

Post 126

KimotoCat

Hey, my PC is not an IBM!


WWWhat's WWWrong

Post 127

Lost in Scotland

Ummm... Did I say your PC was an IBM?
If I somehow unconsciously accused your PC of being an IBM PC, I am truly sorry.
All I was trying to say that my coworkers work at IBM, and they still can't find an URL.
Once again, Kimoto, if I have implied that your beloved PC is an IBM machine, then I am truly sorry. It won't happen again.


WWWhat's WWWrong

Post 128

KimotoCat

It's okay to offend my PC - I do it myself all the time. I dunno what came first, me offending it or it offending me? It does, you know.
But as long as you don't offend me - and that's not an easy thing to do.

smiley - smiley


WWWhat's WWWrong

Post 129

Santragenius V

Running the risk of reviving a topic that probably was finished enough to deserve to go to the eternal topic fields:

Some Danes (Yes! There are more than one! Even at H2G2) have taken to saying 3W (no phonetic writing tonight - it's just too late for that). It's very short and tongue-friendly -- though it still *is* an abbreviation of sorts, I'll concede.

I actually think that TowelMaster & 'Nonnie had a point about 127,6 postings further up talking about this being a forum that just cannot avoid getting back on topic. Maybe it's the H2G2 equivalent of The Flying Dutchman?


WWWhat's WWWrong

Post 130

Lost in Scotland

Man, this is scary. There are no other forums on H2G2 that gets back on track after drifting away from the topic.
This is scary. I think we'll have to call in an exorcist or something to get rid of the ghosts.

3W seems to be a good option, though. But do they say "tre dobbelve" (3W) or "tre ve" (3V)?
Who came up with the idea of finding an abbreviation that takes longer to say that what the abbreviated phrase does?
That's just nuts.


WWWhat's WWWrong

Post 131

shazzPRME

No other forums that return to topic? Um, there are, but they take some seeking out! LOL
shazzPRME smiley - winkeye


WWWhat's WWWrong

Post 132

Santragenius V

"tre dobbelt-ve" actually (now that it's morning I'll venture into a bit of phonetics...smiley - smiley)


WWWhat's WWWrong

Post 133

TechnicolorYawn (Patron Saint of the Morally Moribund)

That's actually quite good. With a bit of artistic licence, a quite adequate abbreviation of WWW can be made which actually takes a sensible time to say.

'TreDobblevey'
'tre-DOB-ul-veey'

Well done Santragenius.


WWWhat's WWWrong

Post 134

Santragenius V

*basking in the glory, then hastily remember what his mom always said*

Thanks! I actually picked it up from a radio station that used to say it for a while whenever they spoke of URLs. So, the honour should go to some unknown wireless Dane smiley - smiley

First time I heard it, I actually went around saying it for about 5 minutes, making the rest of my family wonder if I had finally cracked smiley - winkeye

But, yep, it is very sayable (now, is that a new word?)


A possible pronunciation of WWW

Post 135

Down My Lane

Dubby-Tubby, the Rasta tellytubby; the black one with the magic ghetto blaster.


A possible pronunciation of WWW

Post 136

Down My Lane

Re My Dubby-Tubby comment, sorry for being so slow, I just got here!


A possible pronunciation of WWW

Post 137

Down My Lane

I just mentioned "twirddleU" to my boss and got a very sideways look! Not much chance of non-geeks going for that one if his reaction is any indication.

Personally I would go with the people who ignore the WWW and go for aitch-two-gee-two-dot-com


A possible pronunciation of WWW

Post 138

Down My Lane

I've just realised that makes three posts on the trot (oops! make that four!). I think I'd better shut up and leave the thread by the nearest exit.


A possible pronunciation of WWW

Post 139

Santragenius V

Don't worry -- it seems that no matter what you do to (or even in ) this thread, it automagically morphs itself back in shape & onto the true, straight narrow path of whatever it was it started out with some 40-odd weeks ago.... smiley - smiley


A possible pronunciation of WWW

Post 140

KimotoCat

I must admit that I have regressed into twirdleew...


Key: Complain about this post