A Conversation for The Manifesto for the Campaign to rename Thursday, "Thing"

Abbreviations, and stuff

Post 1

IMSoP - Safely transferred to the 5th (or 6th?) h2g2 login system

Hello, everybody!

Hello?

Firstly, I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this, but I notice the proposals suffer from the same abbreviation problem inherent in the old names: they aren't all different. Taking the first letter, you have S,W,W,T,P,D,D. Now, I think it's silly to have to put M,Tu,W,Th,F,Sa,Su (or rather S, Wim, Wib, T, P, Doo, Don) when you're making a calendar/diary/etc. I therefore propose that the official abbreviations should be:
S, W, ~, Þ, P, D, Ð
The ~, for wibble, seems fairly self-explanatory.
The Þ is a Thorn, available in HTML (and GuideML) as &Thorn; or , or (on this computer, at least) by pressing Alt+0222 (the numbers have to be on the numberpad, while you're holding down Alt)
The Ð is technically a capital Eth, but I thought it was rather appropriate. It's or Alt+208.
What say you all?smiley - huh

Secondly, may I congratulate you for putting the days of the week in the correct order. So many calendars seem to start at the end, and go round from there!smiley - doh Does the Bible state that "On the first day he slept in, because he couldn't face his univers-making assignment"? No. And do we talk about the "Ends-of-the-week"? No. So, thank you for putting Dontbry in its right place. In the weekend. At the end.

Finally, months... (shamelessly stolen from another thread...)
Awful, Worse, Boing, Ting, Parp, Whoop, Wheep, Phwoar, Wow, Crunch, Urgh and Krimbo. Sounds good, but I'm not sure about two things: Krimbo (or Krimpo in a different post), and the abbrevs (AWBTPWWPWCUK) - too many Ws, possibly...
However, as a Shrubber to a Shrubbery, I must congratulate Mr Pu-Dendal on his efforts - even if it does make my birthday the 4th of Urgh!smiley - smiley

Thank you for reading this far (or at least pretending to).
IMSoPsmiley - geek

Abbreviations, and stuff

Post 2

Ek* this space intentionally left blank *ki

Sounds good to me although I'm going to have to disagree with your weekend thingy!

On the first day god created light and he saw that it was good - apparently ... Sunsmiley - bleep

On the 7th day he rested ... ie the Sabbath which I believe is Saturday which is the Jewish day of rest ... I could be wrong though.

Besides, who would be so cruel and heartless to begin anything with something as miserable as a Sodit!

Abbreviations, and stuff

Post 3

FABT - new venture A815654 Angel spoiler page

they're just warning you how well the week is going to go.

samw as with the months. when the year starts with awful and worse the I consider we have been fairly warned about all the time that Buffy is going to be cancelled due to 'live' snooker coverage.
any slower and they'd be in reverse. *rant mode off*

FABT

Abbreviations, and stuff

Post 4

Jerms

Just one question - what was the name of the mythical eighth day?
You know: "And on the eighth day, God said: 'Let the Waters be calm, and the Seas and Oceans to be still', and as God spake, thus it was so. And then the surfies beat Him up."

smiley - winkeye

Abbreviations, and stuff

Post 5

Plastic Squirrel /Back, on the good foot, and doing the bad thing

I thought it was a rubbish song by Hazel O'Connor? Though it could be called Bloodysurfersfillingupthepubsagainday.

Abbreviations, and stuff

Post 6

FABT - new venture A815654 Angel spoiler page

The 8th day should be called timeforanap

FABT

Abbreviations, and stuff

Post 7

IMSoP - Safely transferred to the 5th (or 6th?) h2g2 login system

smiley - boing

smiley - silly to reply to such an old post, I know, but as far as I know, the Jewish calendar has completely different days of the week anyway, so their "Shabat" (Sabbath) runs from dusk on Poets to dusk on Doobry or somesuch. The *Christian* calendar, however, uses Dontbry as its Sabbath (hence everything closing), which is therefore the seventh day and therefore comes at the end of the week. smiley - tongueout Oh, and the name Sunsmiley - bleep is definitely a red herring, because surely it predates Christianity/Judaism like all the others.

I still use those abbreviations, by the way... smiley - weird

Abbreviations, and stuff

Post 8

Hermi the Cat

I popped here from 3No!s as well. The Jewish calendar does differ from ours, which isn't Christian. I think it is Roman (Gregorian), but am not positive on that. Anyway, the calendars differ but the weeks turn out the same. The Jewish Shabbat or Sabbath (7th day) is always our Saturday. Christians switched their day of rest to the day following the Sabbath - Resurrection day or Dontbry. The International Standard places Sodit as the first day of the week. I don't know what day of the week the other major religions venerate.
smiley - cat

Key: Complain about this post