A Conversation for Talking About the Guide - the h2g2 Community

Magic the gathering: TCG

Post 1

rebAL (NTO)

What type of deck do you have and whats your best card in it??

Post 2

Thorn

Oh God, I used to have all these different decks & trade for and bargain and/or get ripped off by the other people for some of the cards I'd put into 'em.

I had a couple of the "legacy artifacts" and a nifty legend or two, as well as a cool set up where I'd take advatage of these "familiars" that made spells be cheaper by a mana- point or two, as an ability for when they were in play. I had some strong enchantments and a cool sorcery or two. Got upset when they changed interrupts into a kind of instant, I can remember that.
I had Sadistic Glee from tempest, and a card of Skyship Weatherlight from I forget what. I had so many kinds of creatures.
I'd use combination decks, but sometimes for solo-color ones I'd play just blue or mainly red. *Shrug*
Why?
I'd usually play decks that were like this:
Black+red = nasty damage & discard set-ups.
White + green = tons of creatures & some enchantments.
Blue+white= lots of creatures out relatively early & use spells to switch & flip-flop control of permanents.
Sometimes I'd switch it up a bit.
The other people were usually more experienced than me at the game, so the best I could ever do was only win sometimes, maybe 1/3-1/2 the time w/my "best" deck or two.smiley - ale
smiley - tea

Post 3

rebAL (NTO)

Cool, I have a White magic deck full of healer cards and creatures who give you health back when they come into play. I also have a red magic goblin deck which can use any card in the deck with only 4 manas in play which works well with my goblins who have haste (attack the moment you put them in play), this deck also had instants and sorceries that do more damage with more mana (I have 15 mana cards)

Post 4

Thorn

The part where it gets iffy in real-play w/other people as in competitively small-comicbook store matches between 2-3-4 or so people (up to six mayhap, used to be at once, but 1 on 1 is more popular these days, yes?), is pulling the right cards up at the right moment.
Sometimes when you wind up playing against somebody who is all about speed to their technique, it's getting things out early. If all the land winds up getting funneled into the bottom or middle of a deck,- that's just sort of very unfortunate. smiley - skull
You get to reshuffle put the hand back in until you get at least one land or two, right?
Did I remember it right. The artwork on some of the cards was incredible too. I can remember that. I gave up on TCGs when they started to make it too much about needing to have the more-recent/current series' and sets in order to be allowed to play, and then the way it started getting into whoever had the more expensive cards like in Pokemon or Yugi-what'sit. I never collected that third one there.
*Shrug*

Post 5

Thorn

White & blue makes for an interesting combination.
Both have some very interesting creatures.
Oh yes, that's right, I had a few of the Weaver of Lies card.
Was "morph" the ability where you put a card on it's back and it can be played as a colorless and ability-less 2/2 creature until you pay its "morph cost"?
Yeah, it was from an expansion that had that.

Blue has counters, & some creatures that have powerful effects.
White was famous for having lots of decent/ok cheap creatures you could get out relatively early.
Plus, there are particualr spells each color was associated with through all or many of the various additions.
Let's see...
Red was known for the damage spells.
Blue was counters.
Green was peculiar enchantments... sometimes strong ones.
Black was discard.
And white was... well, white was about creatures that had first strike, I think, uwually. The spells could be a little diverse in ability.
I had a card called False Dawn that let you change your opponents lands all to plains for a little while. Yes, for healing. There were other things as well.
People would always argue about the particulars of the rules.
Mana burn, was what the nerds would always try to pin everybody down on.
smiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - skull

Post 6

rebAL (NTO)

My red magic deck is about speed as I only need 4 lands in play to use the entire deck and i have 24 land cards in my deck (mainly for my sorceries that do more damage for each land in play). They are competative some of them, but thats not me (its just a laugh with me)

Post 7

rebAL (NTO)

I CAN NOT THINK OF A NAME FOR MY RED MAGIC DECK: 1x Goblin king, 4x Raging Goblin, 2x Goblin glider, 4x Goblin raider, 4x Goblin chariot, 1x Mogg Sentry, 1x Ridgeline rager, 2x Hill Giant, 1x Ogre taskmaster [Them are my creatures], 1x Fodder Cannon [artifact], 1x Stone rain, 4x Volcanic, 1x Demolish, 1x Pyroclasm, 1x Blaze, 2x Larva Axe [them are all sorceries], 2x Shock, 1x Enrage, 1x Lightning Blast, 1x Guerrilla Tactics [Them are my instants], 24x Mountain mana [Land cards]

Post 8

Thorn

Goblin siege horde, maybe?
*Shrug*

Post 9

rebAL (NTO)

I got rid of the MOGG and Ridgeline reaver and replaced it with FIST OF ANVIL (+4/0 on chosen creature-instant) and ELECROSHOCK (does 2 damage to othe target creature, 4 if its an Artifact creature)I also got rid of the Ogre Task maser and my 2 larva axes and replaced them with MOLTEN RAIN (destroys target land, if non-basic it does 2 damage to that lands controller) *my favourite* FLASHFIRES (Destroy ALL plains) and another goblin chariot. THESE WORK WELL AS MY RAGING/CHARIOT GOBLINS HAVE HASTE, I HAVE CARDS TO MAKE THEM STRONGER, IVE GOT CARDS TO TAKE OUT PATENTIAL BLOCKERS AND CHEAP SHOT MY OPPONENT AT THE SAME TIME

Post 10

Thorn

*Nod*
Sounds good,
but... be wary about anti-goblin type threats.
Are there any cards that specifically target goblins?
It's been so long since I've been in the loop for this thing...
Think I stopped playing against lots of other people after the Wrath Cycle, collected some and played during the Planewalker whatsumit, and then collected a little off and on through when they decided to add "tool" types of artifacts that were weapons and items you could "add" or attach to the creatures.

There is still quite a bit of olde-school I could tip you on, at times.

Post 11

rebAL (NTO)

As for the name, the theme deck in the 8th edition uses the same tactics and is called "Speed Scorch" but I think yours sounds better, "Goblin Seige" as my goblins a fast and can over run, My spells act like catapults, I have 3 cards that destroy lands and dont forget my HILL GIANTS and CANNON. THANKS FOR THE NAME

Post 12

Thorn

Oh, that's right, through various times I've had 2-3 of the different Planeswalker's "this or that" type cards as well.
They were either a special type of enchantment or a sorcery, but their effects were fancy.

Haste is good. Unaffected by summmoning sickness is better.
Probably harder to come by, these days.
Means they could attack or block on the very first turn they come into play, but you know that - I bet.

I liked being able to have the card-swapping powers of playing blue, but also would play red at times for the sheer destructive power it can really dish out at times.

You probably know the beginner stuff:
Watch out for relying too heavily on artifacts. All it takes is a shatterstorm or two and,... smiley - skull.
One thing that always fascinated me but I never got to try out to it's full potential was the approach of destroying as much of the opponent's land as you could.
If you make it so that they can't play things because they don't have enough mana, then they have to sit back and watch as you defeat them, maybe.
Another one was that creatures with shadow or phasing would have nifty advantages to being evasive as well.

I had a card called apocalypse that I think was a white-sorcery that said "remove all permanents from the game". Assuming they just meant the ones in play,- if they didn't it would just be too far reaching,-y'know? I think that was from Tempest.

Post 13

Thorn

You're welcome.
Giants and genies/Djinns, as well as golems. <- Those are some of your really fun, sometimes rarer cards.
Even the ones that aren't that rare are kind of interesting.
A friend gave me a junk golem once as a parting gift.
I think I may still have that card somewhere.
For a passing the seventh or eigth grade present my mom let me go to the card/comic-store they had at that time near where I lived, and I picked an Jothrum's whistle, or something like that, and a clockwork golem, both from Ice age.

Post 14

rebAL (NTO)

Thanks for the advice! In the rule book under PROTECTION FROM, It does use goblins as an example but I havent came across any yet although it wouldnt be much of a problem as my spells can destrey the creature or spell that has that.

Post 15

Thorn

One thing I used to really dislike was the fast-blue counter (like hell), counter counter -style that some people I'd play against would use. Couldn't get a thing out, without having it get five times countered. Counter can be used to unsummon a creature, except it is worse to have it countered because sometimes the unsummon cards would have the thing get returned to its owner's hand or on top of the respective deck where it belonged.
Circle of protection cards were always so tempting, but nobody "self-respecting" would announce to people that they were using one except when joking, since it would usually result in beimng called "weenie" or such.
smiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - skull
smiley - tongueincheek

Post 16

Thorn

You're again welcome.
If you need old-school scenario situations running, I think I can remember enough of that to come up with stuff.
5th edition was when I was really into it. Think I may have missed sixth.
Seventh seemed kind of like a waste, but it had some alright cards.
You are allowed to use a noncurrent card if it gets repeated in whatever the cyurrent #basic edition is, yes?
That much hasn't changed.
So long as it isn't one that is specifically restricted, yes?
Like, never-ever can use what'sit? Blue or a black lotus, I can't reme,mber exactly. Gave mana for free just-about.
*Shrug*

Post 17

Thorn

Creaures with a certain colorwalk or landwalk have a smiley - cool advantage too.

One of them let's those ones be unblockable under the condition that said land was in play (I think it was either you or your opponent had to have that one, not sure which anymore), but in a lot of ways it had a similar effect to "protection from ___" in practice.

Post 18

rebAL (NTO)

I got some golems as spares, but im not a big fan of artifact creatures. I also have them circle protection in my spares. WHATS YOUR FAVOURITE CARD?

Post 19

Thorn

Looks like it's all covered then.
But,- what if they go with the attack/destroy land route, then what do you do?

There are three things that people tend to go after fighting when in magic:
These are:
a. You (life force, defualt at start is still 21, yes?) <- or is that lifepoints, not sure of the term inology anymore.

b. creatures. Destroying creatures can keep a person busy, or they are busy setting up their own.

c. stuff. Trying to get rid of the other permanents (lands, artifacts, + enchantments?) that the opponent has, or dealing with the other spells.*
Are instants a kind of permanent?
It used to be easier when they had instants, sorceries and interrupts.
Sorceries are like your basic "big, bad spell" where you use it and if it doesn't get countered/destroyed or whatever, then it does what it says it is supposed to and is done/used up, yes?
Instants are the things you can attack with/use earliest, right?
Interrupts used to fit in a spot in between two steps, I forget which, but they were neat becuase you could use them just about at any time.
T or F: Can a land be countered?
(I think it is false but you will have to double check me on that one).

*though a,b and c might not necessarily be in that order.

Post 20

Thorn

Hmm.
My favorite card?
Ooh. That's a toughy, I used to have some favorite card illustrator/artists though.
I think some of the elephantfolk in one of the editions that had tool artifacts seemed pretty cool. They had trample, but also could do other stuff, sometimes.
Slithers were all the rage in Rath cycle.
I think some of the Planeswalker's___ spell cards.
Everybody wanted to collect all 4-5 of them, I think there were, mayb e nine, and I had two or three.

Key: Complain about this post