A Conversation for Talking About the Guide - the h2g2 Community

Magic the gathering: TCG

Post 81

Thorn

A later version, I had meant. Another typo.


Magic the gathering: TCG

Post 82

rebAL (NTO)

I am ok Thorn, Unglued 2 got replaced by Unhinged which is the same. Unhinged features Donkeys and monkeys (called ass's) a card that costs 1000,0000 mana (look up Gleemax on gather to see i it also has Asnods coupon- which makes your opponent buy you a drink. it is a funny set, but sadly only the basic lands are DCI legal- which is why the basic lands dont have silver boards))


Magic the gathering: TCG

Post 83

Thorn

The Unglued land cards were neat. They had this sort of a gold-ish/bronze looking set of panes around the edge, like you were looking at it with a border acting kind of like it was through a window. Nice to look at those are, I agree.

Unhinged, eh?
You see my new tagline?
smiley - tongueout


Magic the gathering: TCG

Post 84

Thorn

Oh yeah, that's right!
All the other ones... had a color that was different from the normal edition borders...
I think it is black for most editions, and sometimes it'll be white for er... #edition.
What was it "basic"
Portal was for beginners...
was it?
*Odd-little trip down memory lane, that*
smiley - winkeye


Magic the gathering: TCG

Post 85

rebAL (NTO)

Nice name Thorn.

unhinged basic lands are the same as unglued, but its a retangle instead of oval.

The Starter sets (ie, portal) are now tournament legal.


Magic the gathering: TCG

Post 86

Thorn

Ah, an interesting bit of a side-note to the change.
Say what?
*laughing*
Oh man, if they had tried that back in '95 or '97,...
smiley - laugh


Magic the gathering: TCG

Post 87

rebAL (NTO)

Whats the best card or cards to use on turn one?


Magic the gathering: TCG

Post 88

Thorn

Get a land out,- then try like heck to have a creature out or something that is alright to have out for awhile,- that you won't mind losing, but that could hold it's own alright... smiley - erm, what I mean is, if you're playing against folks who are obsessively counter-heavy/trigger happy with countering spells,- then the only main chance you are going to have, smiley - erm likely to have,- to hold out,- is to have something that gets out there early-ish, before they have enough mana to put up too big a resistance.

... is one way of looking at it.
I don't know, maybe see about laying down an enchantment or something during the early game.

Hmm...
My instincts are telling me to go with that... although I'm not exactly the best player that there is around, or out there.

Any thoughts on that...?
How would you play it. Have to understand a bit about the way your opponent thinks, maybe. Well, you don't exactly have to,- bnut in a lot of strategy games,- sometimes there are times where that'll help.

Fast, yet flexible. There's a cool book that was made based off a 17th Century Japanese swordfighting text/treatise,- it's called The Sword and the Mind. Really good. It talks about that kinda stuff. About how to always be on gaurd,- but not too preoccupied to pay attention to what is going on, and in your surroundings.
How to use an opponent's own moves (, er,- patterns, techniques of habit) against them sometimes.

If a person throws their fist at you,- chances are that you will flinch or blink, for instance.
What happens if they don't even break a sweat?
A good "poker face" is another way of putting it.
Hmm... I'm not so sure how that directly ties in, but it might be part of what makes some people tougher to play against than others.
Then there is that aspect of the cards.
:-&
Nevermind it perhaps, then.
Um,-
...
smiley - laughsmiley - laugh.
Sorry.
Forgive me for that.
It was a tad mean on my part,- & I do apologize.


Magic the gathering: TCG

Post 89

Thorn

Um, if you don't even break a sweat, I had meant.

There are two main routes people will usually go for.
That is because these are possibly the only two routes available, as it is how most of a game might play out.
There is the creature route and there is the spell route.

They aren't mutually exclusive. They don't have to be entirely independent either. Interdependent sometimes, but not too heavily so.

I am probably speaking, like one of those slips of paper, that you might find tucked inside of say,- if needs be, a fortune cookie.
smiley - doh


Magic the gathering: TCG

Post 90

rebAL (NTO)

People say MOX crystal, saphire, emerald, etc. You play a land followed by a mox as its a zero mana artifact, break mox to get another land, then play a 2 mana creature with haste.


Magic the gathering: TCG

Post 91

rebAL (NTO)

Using the above technique, replace the haste creature with the woodelves card that tells you to search your libary for a forest (3 lands for turn 2, not bad eh?)


Magic the gathering: TCG

Post 92

Thorn

Yae.

The Sword and the Mind is a very interesting book. It's more than just a "game face" it's about a person's posture, and some of their thought processes (processi?) as well, and has these cool pictures every once in awhile, from old prints, and off of old screens and scrolls.

Are the Mox-es tournament sanctioned though?
I remember some of the old mox cards, they maybe weren't for awhile.
Hmm...


Magic the gathering: TCG

Post 93

Thorn

That would be a nice combination be able to play off of, I will grant yeh that.
*nod*


Magic the gathering: TCG

Post 94

rebAL (NTO)

Yeah your right moxs are not tournament legal (except for vintage block tournaments where they are restricted- you can only have one in a deck)


Magic the gathering: TCG

Post 95

Thorn

Back when I played they weren't. I never played the big tournaments though. Just a few against comicbook geeks who usually would whup me because they could pin down some obscure rules to restrict stuff for when it was my turn.
smiley - tongueout.
*Is laughing*

No, it w3ould go away and stuff, or seem to, when it was their turn.
smiley - rofl


Magic the gathering: TCG

Post 96

rebAL (NTO)

another turn one trick is ,land card, BLACK LOTUS to give you 3mana, then a 4mana creature with haste


Magic the gathering: TCG

Post 97

Thorn

smiley - laugh Oh sure, and I am sure that the tournament sanction rules will like to see people everywhere doing that. smiley - tongueincheek

Black lotus has been banned from use under certain rules in... well,- for a very long time. *Shrug*

That would work though.
smiley - cheers


Magic the gathering: TCG

Post 98

rebAL (NTO)

In Vintage format its restricted to one card and the only banned cards are ante cards. another words the myth about vintage format having turn one kills could be true (i dont know how to do it though, but i bet the black lotus and Mox cards are something to do with it)


Magic the gathering: TCG

Post 99

rebAL (NTO)

My Gobbo deck is good for turn one (raging goblin- 1mana and has haste, 1/1) then on other turns get Goblin King to give ALL GOBLINS +1/+1 and mountin walk. BTW my Gobbo deck can use every card with only 4 manas in play


Magic the gathering: TCG

Post 100

Thorn

Hmm,..
That sounds good.


Key: Complain about this post