A Conversation for Talking About the Guide - the h2g2 Community

Eulogies

Post 1

r4registry

Amazing how some people can be devils in real life but when they have departed they are spoken of as absolute angels.
Why should you never speak ill of the dead, even if it's the truth?
Not favouring total absolutes here but would'nt a more balanced summary be a more accurate portrail of the person being mourned?

Also, how long does it take from the first announcement of a celebrity death to the first joke involving said person?






Eulogies

Post 2

NPY

Interesting question.

Know what you mean. You hear some things at funerals and wonder where on earth it came from.

I've heard a few jokes pretty quickly about Michael Jackson. Thought it a bit unfair. He seemed to be such a troubled person.


Eulogies

Post 3

MonkeyS- all revved up with no place to go

I was talking to her indoors about funerals, and we got on to discussing the music we'd like played.

I told her I'd already planned her playlist- I'd start off with 'Ding Dong the Witch is Dead' from The Wizard of Oz.

I came round about two hours later......


Eulogies

Post 4

r4registry

Hi MonkeySanchez88,
smiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - laugh nice one!

Talking about what music to play at my Dads funeral. In all his life I could only remember him saying he liked one tune 'When smoke gets in your eye's' (from Casablanca).... not the best tune for a cremation.

An aquaintance once told me her mobile went off in the middle of a funeral. She had recieved a message and the phone was set to play,in star wars yoda style
"You have a message from the dark side"

Wonder if anyone has ever had any other funny experiencs.


Eulogies

Post 5

Universal Granny

Our Union rep was a broad, rough, Scotsman with an accent to match. He called a spade a spade and treated us women equally to the men. He would fight our cases staunchly, even though half the time we could not understand what he was saying through his thick brogue, but we always knew he was on our side. Management respected him greatly, but also hated it when he was on a case, because invariably he won.

Then, one day, on his way into work, he just dropped down dead. We were all devastated, and our sorrow was reflected in the vast numbers who turned up to his funeral. I, like many others, had to remain outside, but the service was piped through speakers.

The minister pronouned the final blessing and there was a short silence. Then, booming through the speakers, and to our great delight, came the strains of "You won't get me, I'm part of the Union". Fantastic!


Eulogies

Post 6

MonkeyS- all revved up with no place to go


When my auntie died she had a non-religious ceremony and a cremation. The song they played was "Spirit in the Sky" by Norman Greenbaum, because it was her favourite song and because although she wasn't religious she was a spiritual person.

We all went back to my uncles for the wake, and the radio was playing in the background. It was on a country and western station as that was what my auntie and uncle liked to listen to. As the evening wore on, people began to get ready to go home. My mum was stood by the radio, suddenly she said, "Shh, listen to this!"

She turned the radio up, and guess what was playing? Yep, "Spirit in the Sky" !! Spooky or what!!??


Eulogies

Post 7

Fathom



This seems like a good place to say goodbye to Effers.

I didn't always agree with what she said but I'm very grateful she took the time to say it.

Rest in Peace, Effers. Many will miss you but none will forget you.

Fathom.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more