A Conversation for Talking About the Guide - the h2g2 Community

I'm gonna raise a mass theological debate here: God; fact, or fiction

Post 4761

toxxin - ¡umop apisdn w,I 'aw dlaH

I think I have more to go on, Hass. I'm against attacking Iraq. If I were Saddam, I'd put up no resistance. Wouldn't all those thousands of troops with all their kit look stupid. What more could they do than the inspectors are doing now? They'd just have to turn round and go home. Do they have plans, if that should happen? I doubt it!

Post 4762

Sorry, Adib. I typed 'Hass' automatically! Been doing it for a few posts. No offence.

Post 4763

Recumbentman

Nice ploy toxx but unlikely that Saddam could put up no resistance knowing that it's next stop International Criminal Court.

Maybe he should but I don't think he could. What would his minders do? Look proud?

Post 4764

I don't think the troops would have authorisation from the UN to seize him. If they did, he could leave his deputy in charge and go on holiday with Osama for a while.

Post 4765

hasselfree

"If you had happened to have somewhat different experiences, would right and wrong be different for you? "
the obvious answer is yes.
since as I said right and wrong is subjective.
What is apparently baffling to you is sense to me. smiley - biggrin

Post 4766

In that case, Hass. Instead of one right and one wrong; there are infinitely many of each. That way lies moral relativism. How can anyone base a system of laws on that? Murder is wrong for some, and fine for others depending on their experiences. How can we possibly make a law against it, or even FOR it.

Post 4767

Kirpster

People may argue that your conscience is God (or the Atman), even though you may not recognise it as being that...

But I get what your saying about it being your experience. I believe you are everything you have ever known, everyone you have ever loved, or has ever loved you...

I thought the second coming was really good, not at all as expected, and with a better ending then I thought. I had a feeling it would fail at the end, but it didn't!

Later!
Kirp

Post 4768

Rik Bailey

Yeah they would look stupid but think about it this way. America's tactics are always to soften up the tarket with bombs and missiles first. Boom there goes a few citiserns in come the soldiers wondering why children are shooting at them with ak 47's etc. Why because the people are going to loose famils anf friends and create a future generation of terrorists like they have done in Afganistan. America's goal is to do this so it has a excuse to increase and defend its weapon budget from scrutiny. I feel sorry for those who are about to loose family just because Bush and Blair have not heard of Diplomacy.

As for Saddam and Osama going on holiday we wish. They would kill each other. Saddam has a unislamic regiem and so Osama hates Saddam because Osama wants a Islamic regiem. There being bosum budys is a load of rubbish to justiffy going in to Iraq. Think about it logiclly. Osama bombs America as he wants to force in place what he believes is Islamic state. Saddam wants to impose his dominence with out Islamic state meaning they would not work together as they they both have a principle which the other is strongly against.

Adib

Post 4769

hasselfree

Toxx
They are definately various ideas of right and wrong, that's what I mean by subjective.

We make laws on the commonality of experience, one such would be that murder or attacks against the person hurt.
Theft leaves us poorer.
I haven't been murdered, but I have hurt myself with a knife and extrapolate that pain to a degree that I wouldn't welcome it.

Post 4770

Jordan

Intentionally?

- Jordan

Post 4771

DA ; Simply Vicky: Don't get pithy with me!

smiley - cheerupOuch, Jordan! I bet that *really* smarts! Decades back, my mother in law broke her toe by going to the loo in the centre of the night, and wrapping her foot around the edge of a partially open door... Cringe!
My deep sympathy.smiley - hug

Post 4772

DA ; Simply Vicky: Don't get pithy with me!

Hasslefree, I am afraid I can't agree with you about morality being subjective. It is conceivable to me that people could make a case (not a good one but a case for legitimising murder - some poeple think the death penalty is murder, for one, as I do - but maybe that's a bad example, as the biggest, ugliest regime on the planet (the USA) thinks it's just peachy!)
The point is, subjectivity is okay for matters of courtesy - do I shake hands when we meet, or merely nod? But anything more important - no. Sorry.smiley - cat

Post 4773

Jordan

Don't worry, the pain has declined, in part because it's being overshadowed by the excruciating nature of a few jokes... smiley - tongueout

(I laughed at them, but that doesn't make them good - I also laughed for two minutes at the opening scene in... oh, you know, that Star Wars parody... 'Spaceballs'! That's the name! smiley - laugh)

- Jordan

Post 4774

hasselfree

No Jordan not intentionally

Post 4775

hasselfree

Della
when I say that conscience (not morality as such) is subjective I refer to the differences people have.
I don't agree with murder.
But there are people who do. I do not agree with them but they do exist.

Post 4776

But wouldn't you agree to hurt a murderer? Is that consistent?

Post 4777

I thought Anthea's original point was that she bases her morality on her conscience. In view of your answer, surely you can see that my asking how she knows her conscience is right is a sensible one. The point of the question was precisely to highlight the distinction between conscience and morality.

Post 4778

shark8me4tea

I think that it is all pretty subjective, and you should all take a holiday to the bahamas or some such simillar place. this debate is one which has been goping around for months now, and nothing has come of it yet. the reality of it is that the US will do whatever they want to, and no one and nothing is going to stop them in search of their own religion. (read: profit).
Have Fun!!

Post 4779

What are you wittering on about, Shark? Nobody is debating what the US will do on this thread. Where have you come from?

Post 4780

hasselfree

who makes the rules of morality and what is it based upon toxx?

Key: Complain about this post