A Conversation for Talking About the Guide - the h2g2 Community

I'm gonna raise a mass theological debate here: God; fact, or fiction

Post 1

Doubting Salmon

right people, here you go. I want your opinions, views, speeches, etc.
but most of all I want controversy!!! mwahahahahah!!!!

for instance, did you know all of us, non-christians are actually satan worshippers because we dont believe in god? And even though God loves us all if we dont believe in him he sends us(lovingly) to hell to burn? But actually, all hell is is total separation from god, so in theory, for non-christians, its not that bad anyway!!

well, I've started it, now you continue it.

go.


I'm gonna raise a mass theological debate here: God; fact, or fiction

Post 2

Kaz

Take the christian view if you want to!

Some of us Non-christians are fed up with christian propaganda, ie pagan means godless, no it doesn't. Bored of explaining. I'll set Cernunnos on anyone who still has that view!


I'm gonna raise a mass theological debate here: God; fact, or fiction

Post 3

Doubting Salmon

...
maybe it was sarcasm but I don't take the christian view!!
well, great response from everyone else I must say.(that WAS sarcasm)


I'm gonna raise a mass theological debate here: God; fact, or fiction

Post 4

Mina

>>all of us, non-christians are actually satan worshippers

smiley - erm I'm a non-christian, as are most of my friends, and most of Asia, and plenty of peopla all over other parts of the world. And the majority don't even believe in satan. Christian invention - you have to be Christian to think it exists.

How's that for a response? smiley - biggrin


I'm gonna raise a mass theological debate here: God; fact, or fiction

Post 5

the wag

the essence of the matter is that belief in God or Satan is allegorical, the good and bad it represents is in every individual. By siding with God you are promoting the goodness in yourself. A totally existential world, without belief of any kind, would be an immoral nightmare!


I'm gonna raise a mass theological debate here: God; fact, or fiction

Post 6

Abi

Why can't everyone just accept that everyone is entitled to their own view? I know plenty of Christians who don't think that pagans are godless heathens and in fact are coming round to that most faith systems are born out of each other.


I'm gonna raise a mass theological debate here: God; fact, or fiction

Post 7

Z Phantom

I myself go for the whole big bang/evoloution theory, however I also respect the views of others on creation/god/being sneezed out of somethings nose, as I find that the less you impose your views on others the less they do the same to you, making the world a much nicer place. (the exeption being those religious fanatics you get in town centres, the ones that grab hold and seem to latch on to you throwing leaflets about how you will be "eternally dammed" unless you imediatly turn to their religion under your nose. when it comes to them I have to admit I just put my head down and smiley - run)

Z P smiley - ghost


I'm gonna raise a mass theological debate here: God; fact, or fiction

Post 8

The Rogue aka Phoniex

I'm surrounded by christians and i am one but the fact that others dont have the exact same faith as me doesnt bother me! If people wosh to force their beliefs on others thats there buisness. Maybe God is there maybe not but people need something to believe in its part of human nature whether that is a religious belief of not is up to the person. Non- Christians are people and maybe if they believ in reincarnation smiley - blackcat that'll happen to them. Its all about BELIEF smiley - angelsmiley - devil


Whatever suits

Post 9

Chupacabra

There was a character in a forgotten book (maybe by William Gibson) who was a kind of existential counsellor. For those people who had opened up that box we all keep ignored inside our heads called 'death' and had a good look at the black depths inside, he provided them with a belief system in order to help them deal with it and live happy lives. They weren't all the same.

Most people just ignore it until they are confronted by it. Then they have to either ignore it again, or resolve it somehow. For me, I have (after reading a lot of stuff about various religions, and studying physics) come to my own conclusions. Basically, I have tried on a lot of different hats (including determinism, which was an odd but interesting experience), and have found the one that fits me best. And, believe it or not, I am actually happy!

So (if you need to), go try on those hats.

orbitsville


PS

Post 10

Chupacabra

I should just add that I am not a member of any organised religion. To overuse the same metaphor, I have made my own hat. It's a bit woolly, but it's lovely and warm and comfortable.

orbitsville


I'm gonna raise a mass theological debate here: God; fact, or fiction

Post 11

Bisquick

I myself used to be a strict evolutionist but I read a peice on the existance of "a god" in THE REPUBLIC OF PLATO by ALLAN BLOOM. It was very convincing and I can't find anyway to agrue this point.


I'm gonna raise a mass theological debate here: God; fact, or fiction

Post 12

2.hot.2.handle(f)

there is no such thing as god!!!
if there was a god why would people be born with disabilities?? why are some people in the world dying of starvartion??? why is there terrorist attacks?? why is there war?? if there is a hell we live and breath in hell every single day of our lives!! earth is hell!!! there can't be no place worse than earth!!!!


I'm gonna raise a mass theological debate here: God; fact, or fiction

Post 13

Chupacabra

Nice to see you went for the multiple exclamation marks (and question marks!) option for your rant. So much better than the much overused use of CAPITAL LETTERS FOR THE WHOLE MESSAGE. smiley - smiley



I'm gonna raise a mass theological debate here: God; fact, or fiction

Post 14

unloved

I have a devoted methodist family, although i don't believe s**t about hell or heaven and i would rather think that we when we die we're just dead no biggy.And if life keeps going the way it's going it may be the best piece of sleep i ever get in this life time!Lifes hard enough with out thinking about going to heaven and "living" or existing in peace forever, or burning in hell forever if u didn't do all the bible tells u to! Also u can ask for forgivness and u get it no questions asked! For gods sake i could be a ax murderer then say forgive me and i am in heaven! if u ask me (and u kinda did) heaven is just a bigger form of goverment that screws over the people!!!


I'm gonna raise a mass theological debate here: God; fact, or fiction

Post 15

Kaz

I'm training to be a Buddhist, its refreshing that one of the tenets is not to believe in a God.

It also works very well with my very strong pagan views.

I was bemused to find out that Buddhists met on the full moon, so do Pagans especially Wiccans. I shall have to choose!


I'm gonna raise a mass theological debate here: God; fact, or fiction

Post 16

Jam (especially Blackberry)

Only this moment exists, no past no future.


I'm gonna raise a mass theological debate here: God; fact, or fiction

Post 17

Researcher 198852

Great debate. Any God that put us here & gave us free will, cannot & will not condemn us to eternal damnation for making the wrong choices. We're here to evolve our souls, not learn lessons. In fact we are all one - there is no separation, not even from God. A fantastic book to give a greater insight into what I'm talking about is "CONVERSATIONS WITH GOD" By Neale Donald Walsh. Go buy it. If nothing else it gives you hope that hell isn't an option!!


I'm gonna raise a mass theological debate here: God; fact, or fiction

Post 18

Uncle Heavy [sic]

woo! the man above me speaks the truth. christianity, as a religion, is rather problematic. but that doesnt mean there cant be a God...


I'm gonna raise a mass theological debate here: God; fact, or fiction

Post 19

Pinniped

There almost certainly is a God, in the sense that there is an agency responsible for the workings of the Universe, and that this agency is beyond mankind's understanding.
There almost certainly isn't a God, in the sense of a being who created us in its own image, and with whom we can somehow communicate and ultimately "come to".

Scientists are pretty arrogant, believing they can reason such a God out of existence. But the ultimate heretics were the primitive men who defined God in human terms in their religions, closely followed by the modern-day practitioners of these religions.
The Western set (Christianity, Islam and Judaism) are the worst of the lot in this respect. They idealise long-dead charlatans who have little to teach us that has present-day relevance. Worse, They admit no interpretation and prescribe a way of living which harms the planet and its people (if you want an example of this, think about the rightness of a religion that forbids birth control in a world where most of the problems ultimately derive from overpopulation). They have no real function in the modern world except to focus and articulate malice, making them the principal fuel of war. They delude people and stifle rationalism. They create false expectations of salvation and forgiveness which diminish individual responsibility. They obstruct change in a world that must change to survive.
In short, Western religions not only have nothing to do with God, but are the principle force for Evil (in its real sense) in the world today.

Wooh. Glad I got that of my chest. Just an opinion, you understand. smiley - winkeye


Removed

Post 20

Chupacabra

This post has been removed.


Key: Complain about this post