A Conversation for Musicians Guild Membership Page

Country Music

Post 1061

David Parker

If by Country Music you mean "Stand by your man" and "Divorce" and such like then I tend to agree but certain aspects of country music, some Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, Steve Earle can be categorised under American Folk Music, if we must categorise at all.

Country Music

Post 1062

askme1aboutfish

Yes, I be mostly talking about the "My dog died so I fell in love with the mail man...", "Stand by Your Man" sort of stuff.

I know that "folks" like Johnny Cash are highly regarded artistes and that there are bound to be some great songs in his back catalogue. The same is true for any recording artiste.

Music wouldn't be an art form without people who love this or hate that kind of music/song.

But, as a general rule, Country Music just makes me want to jump onto a chair and scream.

I remain open minded about this subject, however. I am not one to turn down an opportunity to listen to some music. Any music.

smiley - cheers askme1

Join Here

Post 1063

Kaisi9

I've been playing clarinet for about eight years now. I don't know if anybody here knows these artists, but my favorites are: Gackt, Paradise Lunch, Home Made Kazoku, Monkey Majik, and a few others that I can't remember. My favorite composer is J.S. Bach, hands down. What I want out from the guild...a chance to talk with other music enthusiasts, I guess. And to see if I'm not the only one who's heard of the above mentioned artists.

Join Here

Post 1064

h2g2 Musicians Guild

Hello there, Kaisi9.

I've just added you to the membership page: A438068

Bach seems to be a long way from the other names you mention! You shouldn't have too much trouble finding other clarinet players but people sharing your favourite pop groups may be fewer and farther between.

Join Here

Post 1065

loosehead

I would like to sing tenor in choral works and opera please

Join Here

Post 1066

SEF

What prompted *that* sudden request / outburst? smiley - biggrin

Join Here

Post 1067

Primeval Mudd (formerly Roymondo)

I'd like to teach the world to sing in perfect harmony, but should probably get my own house in order first.

*makes unpleasant vocal sounds and attracts the unwelcome attention of a cat*

Join Here

Post 1068

anachromaticeye

The whole world? Including cats? Very Steve Reich. I predict phasing.

Join Here

Post 1069

folktroubadour

I play the 6-string acoustic guitar, the soprano ukulele, and the harmonicasmiley - ok. My favourite type of music is folk, blues and classic rock, and I like to listen to artists like Bob Dylan, Eric Clapton and Led Zeppelin. I'm looking to just have a good discussion when I'm with the guild and meet some other music enthiusiasts.smiley - biggrin

Join Here

Post 1070

h2g2 Musicians Guild

Hello folktroubadour, I've added you to the membership page now.

There are definitely other guitar players around. There are also almost certainly other fans of those artists around, because they've previously been writing articles about them, eg: A593101 .

(SEF)

Join Here

Post 1071

loosehead

I thought singers were welcome here or do I need to sign up somewhere else. Sorry if I applied to the wrong page

Join Here

Post 1072

SEF

But you're already a member! smiley - biggrin Look through the membership page (the link is in the BBC frame at the top of the thread).

Join Here

Post 1073

Hasn't it been great to see so many new MuGs?smiley - biggrin

Join Here

Post 1074

SEF

... and the ones who have forgotten they are MuGs! smiley - biggrin

Join Here

Post 1075

Goldylock

I play the guitar, piano and a little bit of banjo. I mostly play for my own amusement, but a couple of years ago did some performing, and though it terrified me, haven't ruled out doing something similar again one day.

If pressed to choose, I would say I'm more a fan of Radio 3 than any other channel, but my project playlist features a lot more modern music than classical, and gets a lot more playing. Key artists would be Bob Marley, The Cure, Pink Floyd and Bob Dylan.

I love anything with really memorable guitar riffs, most things falling under the category of Blues, and quite a bit of synthetic pop, just to add to the mix.

I'm trying to learn more about musical theory, as I'd like to know more about why I like the music that I do. I've decided that I have a preference for G major, or at least it's where I seem to gravitate most on both keyboard and guitar, but I generally have a preference for things which are EASY TO PLAY smiley - biggrin

I am always keen to listen to new composers and performers, and if anyone here has a myspace account, I will do my best to listen to and comment on anything recommended. My web-page there is www.myspace.com/silvergoldie

smiley - bubblysmiley - alesmiley - cappuccino

G.

Join Here

Post 1076

'Allo Goldylock.

Banjo? Whey-hey! I've got one of those too, but can't play it very well. They are another good reason for mucking about in G Major though.smiley - biggrin

Join Here

Post 1077

anachromaticeye

I've got a banjo toting chum. We did a drum'n'george formby cover of The Ace Of Spades. It was as horrible as it sounds.

Yes, I do know George was a Uke-ist.

http://www.myspace.com/threesevendee

The horribleness continues...smiley - evilgrin

Join Here

Post 1078

anachromaticeye

I use C minor a lot. The satanic key of the self taught and bane of all jazz men.

Join Here

Post 1079

h2g2 Musicians Guild

Hello Goldylock, I've added you to the membership page (A438068) now.

(SEF)

Join Here

Post 1080

Goldylock

Thank you smiley - smiley

smiley - bubblysmiley - wizard

Key: Complain about this post