A Conversation for GuideML Gadgets

Cross-browser Marquee

Post 1

some bloke who tried to think of a short, catchy, pithy name and spent five sleepless nights trying but couldn't think of one

The tag has been used on a few pages and is quite useful for some things. However, this is one of micro$**t's non-standard pseudo-HTML tags which, of course, doesn't work in any browser except IE. I suggest become a GuideML gadget which gets replaced with some javascript which will work in any DHTML-enabled browser. I made a page for it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A552656

Cross-browser Marquee

Post 2

taliesin

Well, this certainly has my vote! I have been involved with computer animation up to broadcast NTSC standard, using tools such as 3D St**io and M*X, as well as Auth**ware, Di**tal Fusion, and ink & paint programs such as Tic Tac T**n on the Sil**on Graphics Unix based machine. Currently I am using Fl*sh, which is a vector based graphics/animation development tool, running via plugins on many different browsers.

I am learning javascript, but as 'some bloke who tried to think of a short, catchy, pithy name'...(etc), and others have pointed out, javascript comes in various flavours, and is therefore a pain in the a**.

Marquees are fun, neat and cool. They can also be overused, (like those tacky scrolling status bar things smiley - yuk). But if it is not too much trouble to implement into the next version of GML, I think it would give us digital artists another tool for expression.

Please consider it, you digital wizards, you! smiley - magic

Tal

Cross-browser Marquee

Post 3

Kristina the Flamenco Dancer - PS of Duende, Muse

Marquees definitely - and how about ? It would be nice if the users of Netscape Navigator were able to see those too!

Cross-browser Marquee

Post 4

some bloke who tried to think of a short, catchy, pithy name and spent five sleepless nights trying but couldn't think of one

Tables show up fine for me under Netscape (or at least, those I've used for the birthday pages)

Cross-browser Marquee

Post 5

Titania (gone for lunch)

My experience is that tables don't show up the same in Navigator as in IE, especially if you're trying to include pictures from the h2g2 library

Cross-browser Marquee

Post 6

threesecondmemory

Cross browser marquee gets my vote.

Cross-browser Marquee

Post 7

Galen

i definitely vote for a cross browser marquee, because i use both netscape and IE, i want to be able to see all the guide's stuff when i view it in both. i think when we get a mb(multi-browser)marquee, there should also be a campaign to change over all non-mb marquee tags.
galen
smiley - orangebutterfly

Cross-browser Marquee

Post 8

threesecondmemory

smiley - ok

Cross-browser Marquee

Post 9

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

smiley - oksmiley - ok

Cross-browser Marquee

Post 10

threesecondmemory

smiley - oksmiley - oksmiley - ok

Cross-browser Marquee

Post 11

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

Now that's just smiley - silly... smiley - tongueout

Cross-browser Marquee

Post 12

Well, if the MB marquee is compatable with the non-MB marquee, then the GuideML parser will convert.

Cross-browser Marquee

Post 13

Ormondroyd

Anything that will allow the smiley - fishsmiley - fish on my page to carry on swimming across the screen gets my vote! smiley - ok

Cross-browser Marquee

Post 14

Red (and a bit grey) Dog

Yep - me too smiley - ok. My smiley - fish wot Tummyfish gave me would expire without Marquee smiley - cry

Cross-browser Marquee

Post 15

parrferris

It's an excellent idea, and gets my vote too!smiley - ok

Cross-browser Marquee

Post 16

I have just created a petition page to document all signed-up petitioners ( A698114 ). I have not included all of you, because some of you haven't actually said you are signing up. Anyone who has not been included, just say the word and you'll be on.

Cross-browser Marquee

Post 17

Marjin, After a long time of procrastination back lurking

the word
** remembering the entrace to Moria**

Sign me in please, the should stay foreversmiley - ok

Cross-browser Marquee

Post 18

Marjin, After a long time of procrastination back lurking

Alas, A552656 has been moderated away.

Cross-browser Marquee

Post 19

Some Bloke, sign me up. Why did you send me away to another page just to find a sign-up link which took me back here? smiley - huh

I didn't see the code before it got moderated, but I assume you'll be wanting to implement it as a floating DHTML or somesuch - according to Webmonkey that can be made to work on IE4+ (inc. AOL), NS4+ and 6 and Opera... That should cover over 95% of users...

And, as has been mentioned above, by choosing the GuideML parameters carefully it can be made to mimic the behavior of existing tags so that old pages don't break. smiley - geeksmiley - ok

Cross-browser Marquee

Post 20

ex-Rambling. Thingite. Dog. Pythonist. Deceased.

smiley - ghost Put my name on your list.smiley - biggrin

Key: Complain about this post

Cross-browser Marquee

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more