A Conversation for LIL'S ATELIER

64Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

Welcome to the Atelier! You've no doubt read our main page and perhaps even skipped off to the offsite pages that give you backstory and floor plans, and maybe you think we're all loony in a genial sort of way.

And you'd most likely be right! As new parts of the congeries that is BBCi make themselves known to the salon, we find we are not really the center of the universe, as we had supposed. Well, we could deal with that with only a few dents to amour propre, were it not for the fact that those other parts of BBCi are looking back at us and are bemused.

Your hostess has discovered several things that she thinks worth interjecting into her traditional Introduction to the New Conversation. The first fact is the the Orchid Skin exists and will fall upon you if you visit the Collective. Just try to get it off on your return.

The second fact of interest deserves its own paragraph. I find, in a history of Quaker Religion, that an early Calvinist minister wrote a book in 1601 called The Plain Man's Pathway to Heaven. The name of the author was Arthur Dent. I wish to lay claim to the discovery of a major space-time rift in the name of the Atelier.

Witty Moniker wrote such literate notes that I am copying most of them in verbatim, and the staff of the salon, androidal though it may be, is pleased to bestow on her our third Scribe Award. *Chloe brings over a plume in an old-fashioned stand made of pewter, chased in art-deco style, on which is inscribed, simply, "62X".

Witty, give that to Sporky and take his.

Here is what Witty Moniker observed (with minor emendations by Lil):

Z was first to the forum. Lil, in a bit of amazing precognition, named the thread the 63Zth instead of 63Xth. [smiley - laugh nice one, WM]

Sol continued to chew over the pros and cons of accepting a position in the UK and threw in a bit of Russian politics as well. The pros won and she took the job.

Affy was struggling to learn the Python programming language (having abandoned Icon) in order to complete a uni assignment. This lead to a discussion of programming techniques in general.

On holiday related issues, we came to a consensus that flower arrangements attached to the backs of chairs are just plain silly. We also explored the proper way to clean metallic household objects. Christmas shopping for appliances touched political and economic issues.

Caer's dilemma with a tenant triggered a discussion of how the rental process works in the UK in the private and public sectors. Happily, the tenants finally moved out allowing Caer's son and g/f to move in before Christmas.

We dealt with a nagging netiquette issue that has unexpectedly infiltrated the salon, along with a greater awareness of the outside world. It is hoped that the netiquette issue has ended happily.

A discussion of ladies novelty undergarments was had.

We cast Cryptonomicon: The Movie with salonistas playing both starring roles and cameos. That got us back to making book recommendation, which is also handy with the holidays coming up. Casting will finish when Sporky completes the book.

The conversation worked its way around once again to the topic of diets. Several Salonistas have reported very good results on the weight loss front. Why do we continue to obsess about weight? Is it because there is a sort of doctor in the house who also obsesses about weight?

The field trip to secure a goo spruce for the salon's Christmas tree got underway.

Z initiated a discussion of historical accuracy/inaccuracy in movies.

We listed our blood types. We also discussed transmission of the flu virus and whether or not it was worth getting the vaccine.

We reviewed how and when we each found h2g2, in a burst of nostalgia brought on by a war that was started accidentally (all the best wars are) by a Collectivite named Astrotomato. The war is long over, misunderstandings settled, but we have not been able to tempt the eponymous Space Fruit into visiting the atelier.

Canadian Piper introduced himself and promptly took off on holiday. We shall see if he returns, and, if he returns, whether he can find us in the backlog.

agcBen found her way back among us in time for the holidays. She is a bit under the weather, though.

Gw7en is moved to Austin, Texas.

Around the 850's there was a discussion of some sort of music for which Witty had no frame of reference. It seemed to Lil to be rock music of the alternative sort, and the only one Lil really recognised was Ivor Cutler. Egon, Z, Sol and agcBen talked music while indulging in late night munchies, possibly the first all-nighter pulled in the salon since it was conceived. There was quite a nice synopsis of bbc radio 1 through 5. The shipping forecast seems to be a particular favorite. Zomnker and Marv joined in, too as the discussion turned to favorite rock concerts.

Montana Red has turned up with a badly bruised foot. Turns out it is a tendon injury and she is making a bold fashion statement with her plastic boot. We may need to call in a hypnotist to find out how it happened though, as she can't recall the incident.

The topic of making ends meet on a low income led to a discussion of the long term value of a formal university education as compared to vocational training.

I think there was only one quiz link this time around. Sporky sent us off to find out which world leader personality we each have.

We discussed which of the 5 senses we would be willing to give up if we were forced to choose one.

Some of the Salonistas are looking forward to attending the h2g2 meet-up in January.

Hypatia informed us about the nasty, selfish behavior of a little girl in her library.

Salonistas discussed their plans for the upcoming Christmas holidays.

Styx suddenly reappeared amongst us. Are demon rats to be considered omens? Or just very large rats with glowing red eyes?

And most recently, we reviewed the film Return of the King in an oblique way, as many of the Salonistas have yet to see it.

And now we launch Conversation 64X in the hope that it will be at least as interesting and busy as the last. Please come in, find a place on the red velvet sofas, and make youself at home.

Post 2

marvthegrate LtG KEA

Stretches into new thread.

Post 3

Good Doctor Zomnker (This must be Tuesday," said GDZ to himself, sinking low over his Dr. Pepper, "I never could get the hang of Tuesdays.")

Well, I was almost 1st.

*Drags in a bean bag chair*

Can I bring this in here Lil?

*Promptly sinks into said chair and naps.*

Post 4

Courtesy38

I was reading the OTD backlog, otherwise I might have had a chance.

Oh well.

*sits down with a smiley - stout*

Courtesy

Post 5

marvthegrate LtG KEA

I was playing Morrowind when it decided to crash. Since I was going to look for a patch for it anyway (ATTN MORROWIND PLAYERS!!! There is a patch, a number of them actually) I came here. Been quite a while since I was even home when the fora shifted.

Post 6

Good Doctor Zomnker (This must be Tuesday," said GDZ to himself, sinking low over his Dr. Pepper, "I never could get the hang of Tuesdays.")

*Talking in his sleep*

See what happens when you stop and read the overview of the previous thread? You get stuck with post #2.

Post 7

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

*Matina brings Marv an Irish coffee in a gold-coloured FTTF mug*

It was a bit of a stealth action to launch the new conversation now, but it was the first bit of time I'd had in a while. The Brits will be annoyed because I started it while they are all asleep. smiley - evilgrin

Did you see that about Arthur Dent in the intro? If you haven't go back and check it out. I am amazed to think that Dent was in sixteen-seventeenth century England, but not surprised that he'd find cover as a Nonconformist.

Post 8

Montana Redhead (now with letters)

You know, Lil, I saw that and went and looked at a couple of my history texts, and what do you know? There's Arthur Dent. Who knew?

(Apparently not me, since I didn't read them when they were assigned!)

Off to bed. I've got an early start tomorrow, as I have an MRI first thing in the morning. It will be nice to know exactly what's wrong, so my foot doc can help me fix it. It would be nice to know how long I'm expected to wear das boot.

Post 9

Amy the Ant - High Manzanilla of the Church of the Stuffed Olive

*blunders in bleary eyed, wearing pyjamas*

Clean cups during the night? That's sneaky.

Post 10

*Now awake*

Wasn't it though?

Post 11

Montana Redhead (now with letters)

Morning, Amy.

Off to bed now. Early day tomorrow.

Post 12

I am likewise off to bed.

Post 13

Coniraya

An MRI for a foot? They barely fire the one up at our local hospital for fear of going over budget!

Z, probably a good idea to be a little more circumspect regarding your future position.

Going back to the topic of smiley - dogsmiley - dog, when I was working as a smiley - nurse on the District, i.e, community based and visiting patients in their homes, I got to meet lots of smiley - dogsmiley - dog and realised very quickly that it was important to get on with them, a tickle on the chest always went down well.

*demonstrates on Zeppo*

I have always had smiley - catsmiley - cat, partly because of houses with smiley - mousesmiley - mouse problems when I was a child and partly because if we were posted overseas then my grandmother would take the smiley - cat, which she did, but it nearly broke my heart to leave Sooty behind. I suppose I've just got used tohaving a smiley - cat around and wouldn't know how to look after a smiley - dog properly.

Post 14

Coniraya

Oh and MR, I on re-reading I didn't mean to sound derogatory, it was in admiration for the use of MRIs and I hope the problem is solved, leading to the appropiate treatment.

Post 15

Sol

I am more of a cat person myself too, though I like other people's dogs. It's a bit like other people's children.

*tickles Zeppo too*

Post 16

Serephina

'wanders along with biccies'

Morning everyone ,not been here in a while smiley - yikes ...time goes so fast!

Post 17

marvthegrate LtG KEA

I am very much a cat person, because the only dogs I like cannot easily be used as footballs.

Post 18

Toccata

Morning all smiley - smiley

smiley - yikes is that the time smiley - run W*rk!

Post 19

Candi - now 42!

[smiley - weirdsmiley - musicalnotesmiley - star]

Post 20

coelacanth

I'm still a cat person despite it being 2 years since my dear elderly ginger tom died. Sunshine and Moonlight would love a kitten. I believe that a cat will find us if we're meant to have one. If not, I'll enjoy the fact that I don't have the responsibility.

Cryptonomicon has arrived in my latest parcel from those nice people with the river in their name. Why do they always pack in such big boxes? Actually, although I ay "nice people" I curse them. Fancy telling me "customers who bought that also bought this...". They must know I can't resist!

Christmas tip: Acording to a TV programme on accidents at this time of year, 37 people died in the UK last year watering their tree with the lights on. I water mine with a handful of ice cubes every day. Simple idea but very effective and safe.
smiley - bluefish

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more