A Conversation for LIL'S ATELIER

64Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 121

Mrs Zen

Oetzi, my stepson's other stepmother, (diagrams are available), is Australian, but by blood she is Hungarian.

My stepson's father is a cunning linguist: fluent in English, German, French, Dutch, Afrikaans and Russian, competent in Swedish, adequate in Japanese, and learning Chinese.

But my stepson's other stepmother pisses him off by talking Hungarian with her mother.

I guess I should thank her for that, sometime.

B


64Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 122

Good Doctor Zomnker (This must be Tuesday," said GDZ to himself, sinking low over his Dr. Pepper, "I never could get the hang of Tuesdays.")

[GDZ]


64Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 123

Afgncaap5


[Affy]


64Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 124

Mrs Zen

Missed the Goo Spruce.

*stamps foot rather drunkenly*

B


64Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 125

Oetzi Oetztaler....Anti Apartheid

You'll not believe this but I have had dreams in languages I don't know. My mother was fluent in czech, hungarian and her home dialect of Viennese german.

My family came from all these places to work for Franz Josef in about
1870. Essentially like all Viennese I'm a hybrid. My father was a British soldier in WW2.

I still eat E Europe though...trouble is I'm rural and a fair way from the deli. The Magyars are a cetain breed and don't tell me I know your situation....believe me...enough said!


64Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 126

Mrs Zen

I have dreamed that I am reading the book that I went to sleep reading. Very frustrating, because dreams are right brain and reading is left brain, and they just dont work together when I'm asleep.

B


64Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 127

Mrs Zen

I did dream in German when I lived there mind. But I didn't understand it any better in my dreams. When I was awake, I had this feeling that if only I could turn a the knobs on my ears properly I would be able to tune in and understand the language.

Maybe I should sign up for a German class. Stepson is fluent, and so is BestFriend.

B


64Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 128

marvthegrate LtG KEA

[MTG]


64Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 129

dElaphant (and Zeppo his dog (and Gummo, Zeppos dog)) - Left my apostrophes at the BBC


...leave the puppets in the other thread, the nerve, what with that other puppet being so creepy...
</(mumbling)>

Happy birthday, Gw7en smiley - stiffdrink


64Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 130

Oetzi Oetztaler....Anti Apartheid

Bleedin heart...would like to read your gliding essay, any link please. Will not comment if not edited,


64Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 131

Courtesy38

[{Courtesy}]


64Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 132

Z

Otezi I am writting it off line, and I shall be entering it in Peer Review when it is finished. I'm hoping that will be tonight I'll post a link to it here, I do remember you asking a question about gliding a few days ago, I've attempted to explain it, but I think it might be a bit dry, and heavy on the theory of flight.


64Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 133

Good Doctor Zomnker (This must be Tuesday," said GDZ to himself, sinking low over his Dr. Pepper, "I never could get the hang of Tuesdays.")

Some people like reading the theory on things.


64Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 134

Montana Redhead (now with letters)

Well, the network was down a bit today for an upgrade, and I come back to 119 new posts in 18 hours! Goodness!

Courtesy, I was in the MRI machine, which rumbles quite a bit, so I didn't feel a thing. It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be, but I'm glad I was only about halfway in, because it was loud and creepy. And that tube is too small for me to feel comfortable looking at it.

Saw ROTK today. What can I say? Long, and whoever said the ending didn't quite work was right. But Shelob was terrific, and I'm curious to know what things you saw as problematic, Courtesy. But let's wait for the others to see it.

I took the quiz, and I take up 4.2 acres, and would need 1.5 worlds. However, given that I live in Southern California, where the average footprint is over 20, I was pleased with my 7.


64Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 135

GreyDesk

Ah the sea... I was raised in a small coastal town in Somerset and the sea was an always constant presence in my life. When I grew up circumstance, university and career took me inland.

Then one time when I needed a new job I applied in a town that just happened to be beside the seaside. After the interview I took myself for a little walk down on the prom and it clicked - I knew what I had been missing; I needed to be near the sea once again.

Nowadays, well I'm in a job that I don't like, and I'm underpaid and undervalued by my employers. But it is job which is situated approximately 100 yards from the seafront. Every day, several times a day, I get to spend a few minutes looking out over the sea. And I tell you, every time I look at it, it looks different, it tells me more things. And every time it makes my heart sing.



64Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 136

Ottox

Yeah, the sea must be one of the things I miss most here in Switzerland. Little Denmark has a coastline of 7000 km(!) and nowhere is there more than 50 km to the sea, most places much less.

The Rhine is just not the same! smiley - winkeye

But we'll go to Denmark Christmas day, so I'll see it again soon. smiley - smiley

3,7 smiley - footprints (av. 4,1) and 2,1 smiley - earth
I was more avare of my habits in Denmark, and I certainly thought *much* more about things than most people, but entering my data from then, I get the result 4,1 smiley - earth - 7,3 smiley - footprints against an average of 6,6. That I should have been above the average simply can't be true!

It's 4 am now which gives me about one and a half day to finish Christmas preparations. I better buy some gifts soon. smiley - erm

Even if it's the 23rd here, I guess it's not too late to say happy birthday to Gw7en. smiley - winkeye


64Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 137

Montana Redhead (now with letters)

I *knew* there was something important that I'd missed. Happy Birthday, Gw7en!!!

Today, as I was going over Newport Coast Road about 9:30 this morning, I thought, "wow, isn't that pretty. I wouldn't mind living here." And then, of course, reminded myself that I do, in fact, live here. I guess it's sort of like when I lived at the Grand Canyon. At first, I went to the rim every day, but after a while, it just started being a regular part of the scenery, and it wasn't so *much* any more. And then, of course, I moved away and discovered that I missed it. I need to make a conconcious effort to get to the beach more often. I just wish I didn't live in the most populous area on earth, because one is never alone on a beach here.


64Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 138

Courtesy38

MR - you just aren't going to the right beaches.

For a small bribe, I can give you directions to some beaches that are seldom crowded and very nice. smiley - evilgrin *my I seem to be using that alot lately*

Courtesy


64Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 139

Good Doctor Zomnker (This must be Tuesday," said GDZ to himself, sinking low over his Dr. Pepper, "I never could get the hang of Tuesdays.")

About 15 years ago I was in the Hay Stack Rock area of Oregon, we spent a couple of days at the beach there. There was practically no one there, it was peaceful, it was absolutely beautiful. I wouldn't mind going there again.


64Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 140

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence


There have been occasions when I had the beach all to myself except for a zillion fish and hundreds of gulls. Magic.

Vinnie is really clingy this evening -- I can't leave him in a room by himself, and he needs to be touching me. In my lap now.

Oetzi, I intuit that it was the Greek police who rescued you and not the Albanian ones. Big relief, that!


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more