A Conversation for M2M2 - The H2G2 Lesbigay Area

The problem with being Bi

Post 1

Calie

Now I know many of you (that is, if you're still around) might have some skiff with people being bi. The usual complaint I get is that we're "selfish" and that we should just pick a side and be happy with it. I don't know why I'm posting this as a conversation except to let it be known that while my lesbian and gay brothers and sisters know which sex they prefer, the bi's have an almost ongoing delema (sp) that springs up after a while in any relationship: when you're with a guy too long you want a girl and visa versa.

I just wanted to let the (mainly) UK world what we have to go through. i think i'm done now

Post 2

Steve

Calie I'm sure the guys and gals around here will welcome you around here with open arms. There are actualy a number of Prominent bisexuals members of M2M2 and H2G2. As well as myself there is Fragalis the Melodical and one of the guides most prolifi writers Demon Drawer ACE, Guru wcame out as gay on H2G2 and then got engaged to a fellow researcher and had to then come out as bi. So you are not alone, and I'm sure there are others.

Post 3

Smiley Ben

Well, I founded M2M2, and I'm afraid I am going to have to complain at you for saying you're bi! Why? Well, not actually as nasty as it sounds - I just worry so much about the necessity, particularly within the gay community, to label ourselves and each other. I don't think I'm bisexual. Or straight. Or gay. I think I'm me. And, as ridiculous as it sounds, I think that everyone else is wrong to think that they aren't just their own 'me'. Sexuality is an invention. Plenty of people only have sex with blondes, or people shorter than themselves, but we feel no need to call them blondesexuals, or shortersexuals, so why pigeon-hole on the basis of gender. It's inventing a whole metaphysical division that just isn't there.

So yeah, shame on you and your bisexuality smiley - winkeyesmiley - winkeye

Post 4

Demon Drawer

I started to read this and couldn't believe that was the same Ben I knew. Then I saw the winks at the end of this. smiley - winkeye

Post 5

Smiley Ben

Well I hope you read to the end before you concluded it wasn't the same me. Whilst there are winks to indicate I'm not actually being nasty, and I don't think claiming to be bisexual is some terrible thing, I do seriously believe it is incorrect. I just don't see how (in this modern world, to use a cliche) people can seriously believe there is such a thing as 'sexuality', rather than it being a total societal invention...

Post 6

Demon Drawer

Ah but surely the differentiation and categorisation comes from those who say they are either heterosexual or homosexual. Maybe everyone is to some extent attracted to members of both sexes how much they act on that is over to them.

Having spent almost two years with my fiance and two years with my previous fiance I say that yes I do/did love both of them at the time we are/were together. I loved them for their personality first nad foremost, everything else including their gender and sexuality was secondary.

Post 7

Smiley Ben

The point is that there is no maybe about it. Of course everyone is attracted to some extent to members of both sexes. That's equivilant to saying 'There is a degree to which any person A is attracted to person B', and even if that degree is zero, there is still a measure. And so long as this is so, it just isn't the case that people are straight, bi, gay, asexual or whatever. They're not on a 'sliding scale' they just /are/....

Post 8

Calie

I stand corrected on the issue smiley - smiley and I must say you sound like a friend of mine who once said, "Gender is not the issue, it's about love. If you love somebody enough, sex doesn't matter".

Post 9

owlatronas

calie i have female friends who are gay and i applaud them they still have feelings like any body else . both my friends were both engaged to get married to there male partners but true love prevailed and they are has happy as any couple i know . i think people who are narrow minded are the ones with problem . it doesnt matter who you love people should get on with there own lives and let every body else get on with their own .

the owlsmiley - bat

Post 10

Cupid Stunt

Are we classifying people by who they find sexually attractive, or what they find attractive in a persons personality? I just use terms like gay and bi as a means of identification, (before someone tries to accuse me of oppressing people). I think I'm out of my depth talking about this, so, feel free to argue. I think this is definitely lengthy discussion worthy. smiley - smiley

Post 11

Demon Drawer

Well said CS. smiley - smiley

Post 12

Cupid Stunt

Was it? I thought I made a bit of a mess ofit myself...

Is saying 'I like boys' different from saying 'I like blondes' except for the fact we have a name for guys who like guys but not guys who like blondes?

Post 13

Demon Drawer

There is a word for that. But I can't find it ij any online thesuri smiley - sadface

Post 14

Cupid Stunt

Fine, there isn't a social label for guys who like blondes is perhaps what I was trying to say. Or perhaps it wasn't.

Post 15

Cupid Stunt

This is one fast paced discussion! I can hardly contain myself...

Post 16

Cupid Stunt

Should we rename in P2P2 - the H2G2 peoplesexual community?

I wish I'd thought that up when it was relevant a few weeks ago...

Post 17

Phryne- 'Best Suppurating Actress'

The words are relevent as long as the majority are going to think in terms of them. Which as of now is correct, for better or not.
I am personally content to be labelled Bi-clueless, since I have no idea what to do once I got here.

Post 18

Cupid Stunt

Stick around and talk to people! We're not scary, really.

Post 19

Phryne- 'Best Suppurating Actress'

not clueless about being , i.e. on this thread. More of a 'so what happens now'? situation.
smiley - smiley

Post 20

Cupid Stunt

Right, I think I may have caught up with that... What has happened up until now?

Key: Complain about this post