A Conversation for h2g2 Announcements

Saturday 31 March, 2012: We Apologize For Interruptions in Your Browsing Pleasure

Post 1

h2g2 Communications

Dear Researchers,

We apologize for any recent service interruptions you may have experienced. Simply put, h2g2's architecture is overdue for an upgrade to meet our current levels of demand.

Our Technical Team anticipated the demand and has been working hard to address the situation. As soon as we had popped the cork on the first bottle of celebratory bubbly last October, Brian, Pastey and the technical team got to work on a proposed solution to the projected demand on h2g2's resources. Since then, volunteers have been working behind the scenes to develop a new and modern platform from which to continue expanding the Guide to Life, the Universe and Everything.

During this phase of h2g2's transition, the Comms Team will do our utmost to keep you informed. The Tech Team may ask for your help with software testing.The Guide and Arts Editors and the Post Editorial Team stand ready to help you as you contribute to the Edited Guide and The Post. The Community Editors are always here to address your concerns.

We ask that you do as you have always done, that is, contribute your research to the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Earth Edition). And of course, smiley - dontpanic.

Happy Nerd
Comms Team

Saturday 31 March, 2012: We Apologize For Interruptions in Your Browsing Pleasure

Post 2

Rod

Yay! It's not good in the evenings - got really bad a couple of evenings ago. Bad enough to cause an extra GanT (that's OK by me though, except for the disapproving glances).

Keep up the good work - it's appreciated.

Post 3

Jackruss a Grand Master of Tea and Toast, Keeper of the comfy chair, who is spending a year dead for tax reasons! DNA!

smiley - smiley oooh! just don't make it too reliable please! smiley - smiley

Post 4

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

upgradessmiley - coolyep! lets banish the "old beeb Hootoo" Sunday night lock-outssmiley - biggrin

Post 5

Vip

Yes, things have been a bit weird recently. Thanks for keeping us informed, and and smiley - ale to the tech crew!

smiley - fairy

Post 6

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

Just say the word and we will test away smiley - ok

Or be very testy at least smiley - tongueout

smiley - pirate

Post 7

McKay The Disorganised

I don't want Pierce's testes smiley - sadface

smiley - cider

Post 8

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

smiley - bigeyes If we browse in an unpleasurable way are we less likely to encounter problems? smiley - tongueincheek

Post 9

shagbark

Just please a little advance notice before taking hootoo off-line.
I was using it as my home page and the other night got a nasty shock when instead of the old reliable classic blue my screen was pure wshite with an error message.

Post 10

h5ringer

<>

smiley - rofl I do smiley - love adjacent-key typos

Post 11

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

smiley - rofl I don't think any tech crew has ever had a more appreciative audience.

You go, guys. smiley - biggrin

Post 12

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

It's probably an accident of timing, but there haven't been many times when I couldn't get on H2G2. Still, I'm really excited to hear that a better system will be in place.

smiley - musicalnote

smiley - titsmiley - tit fly over the smiley - rainbow.
Why, then,oh why can't I?

Post 13

Pastey

You'll also probably be glad to know that the new system doesn't go down at those times smiley - smiley

I can't give time lines yet I'm afraid, other that "hopefully not long now" smiley - winkeye

Post 14

KB

"hopefully not long now"

Admit it, the BBC were giving you lessons. smiley - laugh

Post 15

parrferris

That's worrying - when somebody asks me how much longer a job's going to take to finish and I say "hopefully not long now", what I'm usually thinking is "Ah, I suppose I'd better start it quite soon, then"... smiley - winkeye

Post 16

Jackruss a Grand Master of Tea and Toast, Keeper of the comfy chair, who is spending a year dead for tax reasons! DNA!

up grades eh! i'ed just like a grade, i failed my CSE grade 3 metalwork, smiley - biggrin

Post 17

Websailor

Hi Team, many thanks for all your efforts. To date I don't seem to have had any problems, but perhaps I am tempting fatesmiley - huh

smiley - goodluck with your upgrading, would hate to lose sight of you all.

smiley - cheers

Websailor smiley - dragon

Post 18

shagbark

My Antiviral Program says this browser has problems with spyware and trojan horses. I would hate to have identity thieves masquerading as shagbark there.

Post 19

Pastey

Masquerading as Shagbark? I'm Shagbark and so's my wife!

Post 20

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

I'm Spartacus!

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more