A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Manly Soft Drinks

Post 41

Effers;England.

I found it quite funny when I went to Australia and I was thought it poncy for putting my beer into a glass and not drinking straight from the bottle. In London the bottle thing was thought poncy.

That was about 10 years ago.

Manly Soft Drinks

Post 42

Alfster

I usually go for J2O mainly to see the reaction of the bar staff when after they ask 'What flavour?' I say 'Your choice...' the look on some of their faces of 'What...*I* have to make a decision...?...I'm not paid to make decisions...' is great. Or the 'OK!'...and then I get cranberry or one of the other red ones...J20 russian roulette...great fun...

Manly Soft Drinks

Post 43

Mrs Zen

LOL

I find I'm asked far too often to make choices. I frequently get Z to order my food for me.

I've posted here before about Clement Freud who would always as for an 18 and a 47 when ordering a Chinese takeway. Once he got prawn crackers and a banana fritter.

Manly Soft Drinks

Post 44

swl

That would get you Spring Rolls and a Chicken Curry from my local Chinese takeaway. Not bad.

Manly Soft Drinks

Post 45

anhaga

Shrimp Egg Foo Young and Chicken & Pea Pods here.smiley - smiley

Manly Soft Drinks

Post 46

Xanatic

I would have to agree that the concept of being seen as unmanly doesn´t necessarily relate to sexuality.
However I don´t see Sprite or Coca Cola as being particularly girly soft drinks, why not drink those?

Manly Soft Drinks

Post 47

Not the monkey - Skreeeeeeeeeeeee

I find most soft drinks far too sweet. There used to be a lovely one, Citrus Spring Lime, but I dont know if its still made.

With J20...its even more perplexing if you ask for three random ones (for three children).

Manly Soft Drinks

Post 48

anhaga

If it's not about sexuality, why are we talking about 'manly' vs 'girly'? If it's not about sexuality, why aren't terms like 'grown-up' or 'childish' being used? I'm afraid I don't understand how it's anything other than about sexuality.smiley - erm

Manly Soft Drinks

Post 49

Xanatic

Because you´re worried about being thought girly, rather than gay.

Manly Soft Drinks

Post 50

Mu Beta

If you're worried about being gay, I certainly wouldn't recommend Not The Monkey's pub:

"He gestured over to this huge, unshaven guy in plumbers overalls. In one hand he was holding a big, greasy Bratwurst. In the other...a dinky glass of chilled, white wine."

smiley - yikessmiley - run

Manly Soft Drinks

Post 51

anhaga

'Because you´re worried about being thought girly, rather than gay.'

Ah, I see. For you 'sexuality' means gay vs. straight.

For me, being comfortable about one's sexuality isn't about gay vs straight: it's about being comfortable with one's self, what ever degree of femininity (girliness), masculinity (manliness), or whateverinity one's self happens to project. If you're worried about being thought girly, I would suggest your insecure about your own girliness. I think you should probably embrace it and become a more integrated person.smiley - smiley

Personally, I don't care what people think of what I choose to order. If they think somehow I'm girly for ordering a glass of wine or a Campari with soda, then I will quite happily conclude that they are fools.smiley - smiley

Manly Soft Drinks

Post 52

Xanatic

I wasn´t talking about me. However just because you´re secure in something doesn´t mean you should be.

Manly Soft Drinks

Post 53

Not the monkey - Skreeeeeeeeeeeee

@anhaga:

Dont be obtuse.

@Mu:

It wasnt a pub - a weekly outdoor farmers market. Seems that in Germany plumbers feel so secure about their sexuality that they dont have to retreat to some secret club to drink white wine.

Germany does seem to do Blokey/Girly drinks too, though. One time we ordered a couple of Berliner Weisse. *Big* mistake, on many levels. Turns out that women get beer stained pink with raspberry syrup, but for the men its green with woodruff syrup - whatever the hell that is.

Manly Soft Drinks

Post 54

Xanatic

They also have specific beers that are referred to as women´s beers.

Manly Soft Drinks

Post 55

Mu Beta

I think he was a tennis player.

B

Manly Soft Drinks

Post 56

KB

The Berliner Weisse with fruit syrup's not bad. And I say that as one who usually has a horror of adding sweet things or fruit things to beer. I think it's because the beer is so acidic in the first place that the syrup doesn't make it horribly sweet.

Manly Soft Drinks

Post 57

Xanatic

I like the Bananen Weisse, though I was shocked the Germans would do that to their beer.

Manly Soft Drinks

Post 58

KB

smiley - laugh That was my thought, too. I like the Johannisbeere* one.

*Can't remember what the damn word is in English! smiley - doh Blackcurrants.

Manly Soft Drinks

Post 59

Effers;England.

Do any tennis players ever drink 'Robinson's Barley Water' at Wimbledon? There's that thing on the side of the umpire's chair..the only ad besides Rolex for the clock.

Don't the ballboys make it look as if that's what they are getting out of the thing? I've a feeling they really all have their own special drinks that make them play better.

Manly Soft Drinks

Post 60

Alfster

As designated driver to a meal tonight I did the 'You choose.' to the table waitress...she went 'Ooooo' with a smile and a shake of the shoulders in mock 'How exciting.' ornage and mango or something like that...then raspberry and something second time...the raspberry one I'd not had before and was very nice so result!

Key: Complain about this post