A Conversation for Ask h2g2

A call for ACEs!

Post 1

Vip

The ACEs are low in numbers, and I'm sending out a rallying call to anyone who would like to help h2g2.

We need people who can dedicate half an hour, a couple of times a week. These people need to be friendly, outgoing, and have a working knowledge of the site (but there's no need to be an expert!).

You don't need to be a great writer, you don't need to post a lot, but you do need to be that friendly face that your ACE was back when you joined. You need to know where to go for information if your newbie requests it, even if you don't know the answer yourself.

I promise to be there to guide you through the welcoming process, to develop your ACE message and to be there to help out in any way I can.

Any takers?

Vip
smiley - fairy

A call for ACEs!

Post 2

MMF - Keeper of Mustelids, with added P.M.A., is now in a relationship.

Well, I appear to have a fair bit of time on my smiley - applause at present, and it is time I gave something back to h2g2, especially considering it's current status.

I'll stick my head over the parapet and say smiley - towel.

I'll sign up for it.

smiley - ok

MMF

smiley - musicalnote

A call for ACEs!

Post 3

Vip

Hoooo rah! I'll pop over to your Space and talk you through it. smiley - ok

smiley - love

Vip
smiley - fairy

A call for ACEs!

Post 4

Magwitch - My name is Mags and I am funky.

Sounds like a plan, Vip. Count me in.

A call for ACEs!

Post 5

Vip

Raaawr! smiley - boing

I'll be right over to you as well...

smiley - fairy

A call for ACEs!

Post 6

Sol

I'll do it too.

A call for ACEs!

Post 7

Jackruss a Grand Master of Tea and Toast, Keeper of the comfy chair, who is spending a year dead for tax reasons! DNA!

nah not for me smiley - laughsmiley - roflsmiley - bubbly

A call for ACEs!

Post 8

Vip

Great! I'll pop round to you too. smiley - biggrin

smiley - fairy

A call for ACEs!

Post 9

Deadangel - Still not dead, just!

Well, I'm going to be unemployed in about 3 hours, so I might as well volunteer to do something with my time.

I might even get round to finishing my Poland entry! smiley - tongueincheek

A call for ACEs!

Post 10

Vip

You may be built by insane badgers, but I like that in a volunteer. smiley - winkeye

See you on your Space...

smiley - fairy

A call for ACEs!

Post 11

minichessemouse - Ahoy there me barnacle!

if you can help me fix my welcome message i will join back in. Still have my badge and access to the Yahoo group and everything!

I am a naughty smiley - mouse for not keeping up with my ace duties. but i don't know if my old message works in barlesque.

minismiley - mouse

A call for ACEs!

Post 12

Vip

I'll pop over and see what I can do. smiley - smiley

smiley - fairy

A call for ACEs!

Post 13

Vip

Just to let you all know that I have completely overhauled my ACE message this morning (sorry). I discovered that I had linked to a specific issue of the Post rather than the proper page smiley - blush and also that my Entry that's in ths Post this week essentially says a lot of my ACE message. That way the message is a lot shorter and easier to read if I cut it out and replace it with a link.

Again, please feel free to use as much or as little as you like but if you have borrowed it in the past please check out that Post link.

Thanks,

smiley - fairy

A call for ACEs!

Post 14

TRiG (Ireland) A dog, so bade in office

I tried to volunteer for sub-editing duties a while ago, and never got around to finishing the application. I'm a bad volunteer! But I could probably afford an hour a week, so I'll try for this. And then perhaps I'll try again for sub-ed duties too.

TRiG.smiley - lighthouse

A call for ACEs!

Post 15

Vip

It would be lovely to have you, TRiG. smiley - smooch

smiley - fairy

A call for ACEs!

Post 16

Deadangel - Still not dead, just!

Hi. I'm back after dealing with a virus that took my laptop out for a few days. I'll have a look through your welcome message and steal bits.

A call for ACEs!

Post 17

Vip

Awesome-ness. Steal anything you like. <cheers

smiley - fairy

A call for ACEs!

Post 18

Merely a number

Hello Vip,

It says down there I&#39;m replying to the last msg in the thread but I&#39;m not. I&#39;m replying to the first.

Still learning the site (was absent for a couple of weeks) but am aware of most of it (quite an adventure!) I think. So with help I can fill an unfilled opening if you still have one.

M a n

A call for ACEs!

Post 19

Vip

It might be because you're using the new site, which is still broken, rather than the old site (www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2) which is still working OK - I know it's having some problems with which post you're replying to and stuff like that.

Firstly, thank you for volunteering! It's wonderful to see new faces wanting to be part of the group. For now I'd hesitate to say yes simply because you've only been here for three weeks or so. I can see you've started contributing to Peer Review and found your way to lots of the threads on Ask but usually ACEs have been here a few months before they can be taken on.

May I suggest that you start by personalising your Space? If you Edit your user page you can tell us a little about yourself, or why you're here, or how you found us. At the moment it's a little blank!

Once again, thanks for asking. I certainly look forward to seeing you around Peer Review. We always need more reviewers!

Vip
smiley - fairy

A call for ACEs!

Post 20

Vip

Actually I've just had another look through your PS and remembered the conversations we had back when you first joined. While is usually is true that we like people to have been here a few months, you've lurked before, joined now, are in Peer Review, have read most of the h2g2c2 documents and even corrected my ACE message.

I take it back - I think you'll be great. I'll pop over to your Space to discuss it in a bit more detail though.

smiley - fairy

Key: Complain about this post