A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Advertising stupidity - now with added Title

Post 1961

Cheerful Dragon

It's been found that the amount of protein (or something) in formula milk can lead to childhood obesity. So babies are better off breast-fed as much as possible, anyway.

Post 1962

Not-so-bald-eagle

Right !

Post 1963

Not-so-bald-eagle

Simu-post... but as it happens you're both right

Post 1964

Br Robyn Hoode - Navo - complete with theme tune

*bump* smiley - smiley

Post 1965

logicus tracticus philosophicus

Re 1961... most adult males would like to be as well

Post 1966

invisibleknight

Theres a car advert on telly at the moment (I think for Renault) where 1 guy is being shown around a car showroom and the salesman is unable to actually describe any of the fairly simple features (thats not the stupid bit but its damn annoying). Its an English advert with English actors.

Shame every car they get into in the showroom is a left hand drive.
Steering wheels go on the RIGHT in this country ad men.

Idiots.

Post 1967

Orcus

So an industry that is practically going through its death throes at the moment is supposed to spend extra money on an identical ad, just to put steering wheels on the other side, despite the fact that the car is identical in every other respect?

Riiiight. smiley - erm

Post 1968

invisibleknight

No. Its supposed to hire people sensible enough to know which country they are advertising in and know the correct internal configuration for cars for that country. Its simple product research.

Its not effing rocket science.

Ad agencies get paid silly money to make adverts, your telling me they couldn't spend 3 minutes on the internet to find out where a car steering wheel is located in their target country then hire the correct car for their advert?

Its just bloody lazy!

Post 1969

toybox

I guess that in emergency they could even just perform a vertical flip of the picture, and hope there is nothing written anywhere smiley - winkeye

Post 1970

Not-so-bald-eagle

or even a horizontal flip

smiley - coolsmiley - bubbly

Post 1971

Yvonne aka india

Most car ads are sweeping shots around scenic surroundings, in which case, selective use of registration plates - M, I, V, X, etc means it can be shown in most countries. If they took the time to carefully use speech then flipping the image, as has been mentioned here alreasy, does away with the need to reshoot the ad. Though this just leads to sloppy research.

Post 1972

Moonhogg - Captain Coffee Break

smiley - winkeye

Post 1973

Yvonne aka india

Most languages look different to each other when spoken, no matter how well dubbed for accent.

Post 1974

Moonhogg - Captain Coffee Break

I *was* joking - but that does lead onto one of my all time hates - dubbed adverts. I *really* hate those!!

Post 1975

Yvonne aka india

Sorry Moonhogg. I agree about dubbed ads, most of them seem to be for certain shouted-about cleaning products.

Post 1976

invisibleknight

If Oasis is for people who don't like water why does it comprise of more than 50% water?

Post 1977

Malabarista - now with added pony

The trouble with flipping ads is that suddenly nearly everyone is left-handed and the shirts button on the wrong side... smiley - winkeye

There was that "scandal" quite recently with McDonald's - they were advertising that in Switzerland, they used 100% Swiss beef for their burgers. Trouble was, the cow on the photo had an ear tag with an AT on it... They simply recycled an Austrian ad and forgot that little detail!

Post 1978

Malabarista - now with added pony

(Oh, and having read a tiny bit of the backlog...)

Re: number of ingredients

I recently found a product that made me laugh out loud in the supermarket (can't quite remember what it was...)

It listed E300, Vitamin C, and ascorbic acid (as a preservative) separately, and also contained lemon juice! smiley - doh

Post 1979

Mistadrong, (Count vonCount.)the last Gog standing

Am I the only one watching the Ka ad who thinks that what the little boy is holding looks suspiciously like a dildo?
smiley - vampire

Post 1980

Orcus

I haven't seen that advert but I feel it has been tainted before I've even seen it. smiley - winkeye

Key: Complain about this post