A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Opinions Please..........

Post 1

Researcher 195767

Following the opinions I finally got people to give about the Anglican religion, I wonder if we could go one step further........if you would be so kind. I am interested in how the world views this.

On the BBC's 'Christian news' page there is a link to an article about the setting up of a 'Muslim-Christian council'. This is being pushed forward by the leader of the Anglican religion, and is some sort of interfaith dialogue thing, with the aim of getting some sort of understanding going between the 'faiths'.

I wondered what outsiders think of this. How do you see it?

It could easily be interpreted that the 9/11 disaster is bringing bucketfulls of rewards for the religion of Islam. Immediately after thousands die in New York and Washington the President of the US declares Islam a 'peaceful religion', and the Prime Minster, Mr Blair, takes up reading the Koran every morning. Now it appears that the British 'state religion' wants to apparently sue for peace with what is, to all (real) Christians an enemy religion.

Would those on the board kindly offer and opinion as to whether they see this a good thing, or a reward for terrorism, or a bad thing. Do you consider that the Archbishop has not business cosying up to another religion, if,as the Bible says, he is serving the one and only true God, (whose name is not 'Allah')? Would you say that this is further apostasy on their part? Or would you say that this is another step on the road to a 'one world religion', and is, therefore, a good thing?

THANKS IN ANTICIPATION

Justin.

Post 2

Gnomon - time to move on

Justin, I don't think the terrorist attacks on America have anything to do with religion. I think they are to do with America's support of fascist regimes in the Middle East and the fact that most Middle Eastern states don't approve of this.

As far as two religions 'cosying' up together, not being a member of either religion, I don't really see there being a problem. Both Christianity and Islam believe in the same God and accept many of the same holy books, including the Bible, although their interpretation of them would be different. They also both acknowledge Jesus Christ as a great holy man. From what I've seen of the Quran, I can't imagine any true Christian having a problem with any of it.

I know from speaking to you before that you believe that only your interpretation of the Bible is the correct one, but most Church leaders are enlightened enough to realise that they do not have a monopoly on truth and that there may be lessons to be learned from studying other religions. Certainly all the people who believe in God should join together and help each other.

Post 3

Gnomon - time to move on

I see another point in your question which I did not address. The name of the one true God. Who is to say that his name is not "Allah"? Who knows for sure? When Moses asked the burning bush "Who are you?", it answered with a sound which most scholars believe was "Yahweh", but it is not clear whether that was a name or a description - it could be interpreted in Ancient Hebrew as meaning "the maker of all that is made". Nowhere else in the Bible is God's name provided. The word God exists only in the English language. It is Dieu in French, Gott in German and so on. As far as I can tell, in Christian churches in Arabic countries, the rituals are carried out in Arabic and the word "God" is indeed translated into Arabic as "Allah".

So the true name of God is not known and the Arabic term Allah is no further from the true name than the Hebrew term of Elohim or the English language word God.

Post 4

Clive the flying ostrich: Amateur Polymath | Chief Heretic.

I've got a question fur Justin:

What are you doing with all these opinions you are gathering - is it just curiosity about what h2g2 researchers think or are you canvassing opinions from other sources as well?

smiley - smiley

Post 5

creachy

"what I've seen of the Quran, I can't imagine any true Christian having a problem with any of it."

i'll admit right now that discussing these religions is probably far beyond my range of informative input. yet i am pretty sure i watched a news report detailing exactly what is taught to young Muslims in their temples/mosques (see, i don't even know where they worshipsmiley - huh). anyway, there was a rather large concern about a certain line in the Quran, it read, 'Muslim will be free when he is fighting Jew and killing Jew'. i remember now, it was Hardtalk (a very uncompromising British Political show where some very tough questions/accusations are put to unfortunate politicians of varying international and domestic backgrounds).

as i said, i know very little on these religions and how they are interpretted, but if someone could verify or disproove what i am 98% sure i heard and then enlighten us a to how to interpret it if it is written, i think this would be a good angle.

i.e 'What does this union of Christianity and Islam mean for the Jews?'

Post 6

Kaz

9/11 was not caused by Islam, at most it was caused by Islamic fundamentalists. Fundamentalists are a danger in any religion.

As for the two religions forging links so that they can understand each other better, sounds like a recipe for understanding and an attempt at peace, which can never be a bad thing.

As I am not a member of either religion, I think it is good that they are making links. All the abrahamic religions should as they have caused more wars then any other religions, so the efforts they are making now should be applauded.

Post 7

badger party tony party green party

Well the christians cosyied up to all the northern European tribes and adopted/adapted their festivals so we can have Christmassmiley - xmaspud, Eastersmiley - choc, Halloweensmiley - pumpkin Shrove Tuesday and other various saints dayssmiley - bubbly. So why not form links with the tribes from the East.

smiley - droolHow cool would that be? A curry festivalsmiley - dragon

Hang on that acyually most Saturdays for mesmiley - cheers

It will surely be no surprise to you that I think any efforts for greater harmonty and understanding between these religious establishments that have so often got carried away and ended up killing each other and other pointlesssly is a good thing.

one love smiley - rainbow

Post 8

badger party tony party green party

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/brunel/F55607?thread=192835&post=2209811#p2209811 This is another opinion for you. So dont go round saying i never do anything for you Justin

Post 9

Gnomon - time to move on

creachy, I did a quick scan of the Quran for the word "jew" using a Quran database. There are a few references, but they all preach peace towards Jews and Christians.

For example, one says that the Jews think the Christians are wrong and the Christians think the Jews are wrong, but Muslims, Jews, Christians and Sabaeans will all get to heaven if they follow the teachings of God.

Post 10

Researcher 195767

OK, Gnomon, thank you.

J.

Post 11

Researcher 195767

Clive,

H2G2 seems to be populated by university undergraduate types, mainly, and certainly by the younger elements of the world. It is interesting to see how they perceive these things. I wanted to see if my guess was right that that is how they would see it, and to see if the younger sections of society think any differently from the older folks who are unsaved, whom I know from my normal social contacts.

J.

Post 12

Researcher 195767

Creachy,

Thanks for your reply.

You did hear correctly. There is much in the Koran about killing Jews and Christians. However, like the RC religion, the vast majority of Muslims do not do what their religion teaches.

There may be a 'union' between 'Christianity and Islam', as they are of the same spirit. If you do a Google Image search for 'pope kissing the Koran' you will see that they are getting together. They are of the same spirit, and serve the same master, so they might just as well. But Christians will never join them, at any price.

However, what is your view of that which I asked in the original post?

Post 13

creachy

ah, thankyou Gnomonsmiley - ok

it may have been that a teacher was caught saying thatsmiley - erm. whatever it was, it may be an isolated case. thankyou for clarifyingsmiley - biggrin

Post 14

Researcher 195767

Kaz,

So, you believe that the God served by Abraham is the same one served by the warlord Muhammed, and those who follow him? You see Islam as an Abrahamic religion? Who taught you that, and what is your proof?

I agree that many wicked men who call themselves 'Christians' have cause all sorts of wars, but no Christian ever has, as disciples of Jesus do what He says, "Love your enemies." Those who did such terrible things, are called by us 'nominal Christians', as they do totally opposite to what Christ taught. And no Christian looks on the nominals as anything other than the enemy.

But, that aside, you would see the coming together of these two peoples; those in 'Christianity' (doesn't include me either!), and those in the Muslim religion, as being a good thing then?

Justin

Post 15

creachy

Justin,

although the thought of one world religion is a nice one, it will mean the end of religious wars and many disputes would also be ended, i can't quite see it happeningsmiley - erm perhaps i like the diversity. the thought that whole different groups of people are pulling in all sorts of directions pleases me. although in pulling in different directions they may hinder each other in some aspects, but in others they may excel in a way with which we couldn't with everyone believing the same. for example, there would be no atmosphere at a football match if everyone supported the same team. the other teams history would be ignored, there ideals and style of play shunned and their names lost. we wouldn't learn without any opposition.

as for 9/11, Islamic Fundamentalists are nutters...that's about as far as my knowledge takes mesmiley - erm

Post 16

Researcher 195767

Blicky,

OK, interesting. So you think that it was 'Christians' who adopted these pagan festivals into their religion then? (None of these 'festivals' you mention are celebrated by any Christian known to me, by the way. And that is many!)

Thanks.

Justin

Post 17

Noggin the Nog

This has got to be a good thing, but it's as well to understand what it's about. The question seems to imply that the intention, or likely end result, is a common religion, with a common theology/doctrine etc.

That's not going to happen. What we're talking about is increasing understanding and defusing social and political tensions in a dangerous world. And as I say, that has to be agood thing.

Noggin

Hidden

Post 18

Gnomon - time to move on

Justin, I don't understand your Posting 12. Are you saying there is a difference between Christianity and Christians? I took Christianity to mean the religion practiced by Christians.smiley - erm

We're not all young student types here on h2g2. I'd be delighted to be called young, but that would be stretching it a bit.

Post 19

the third man(temporary armistice)n strike)

The Muhammed forbade persecution of Jews, Christians and Zoroastrians as they are 'Children of the Book'. Try praying to Jesus in Saudi Arabia and see what happens. You will be flogged, several times, and then deported - as many migrant workers from the Phillipines will testify. The West is very tolerant of other peoples religions but to have the Saudi built Mosque standing proud in Regents Park whils't Christian practice is banned in Saudi shows that one religion considers itself the only faith.

Post 20

Crescent

'enemy religion', LOL smiley - smiley Maybe if you were a christian in the 11th Century. I thought christianity was a peaceful 'thou shalt not kill', 'love thy neighbour' sort a thing now a days. Ah, well it made me laugh smiley - smiley Until later....
BCNU - Crescent

Key: Complain about this post