A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Who are you, what are you, and what do you get out of h2g2?

Post 201

azahar

I have that same problem when I try to describe this place to other people. My words always fall short of what this really is.

Well, at least I don't have to explain it to you! smiley - winkeye

az

Post 202

Z

It's quite hard for other people to get I find. I've introduced it to other people but they don't seem to get addicted.

Post 203

azahar

Really? I was addicted from day one. Haven't introduced anyone else though. Perhaps it's something you have to feel compelled to do on your own . . . . . .

az

Post 204

Lady Pennywhistle - Back with a vengeance! [for a certain, limited value of Vengeance; actual amounts of Vengeance may vary]

I didn't get addicted right away, it was some sort of a process... and then one day I realise I've got more threads than I can keep track of!

Post 205

Scandrea

I registered about three years ago, but I didn't get addicted until a few weeks ago. I finally got a chance to sit down and explore, and the rest, as Henry Ford would say, is bunk.

Post 206

Haylle (Nyssabird) ? mg to recovery

I am 25, and reaaaall tired already.

I, lessee, spend too much time on here and contribute outside of conversations very little. To my credit, I did start a few groups and a bar that nobody frequents smiley - cry.

The first thing I got out of this was to not be terrified of people from the UK. I'm easily intimidated, intellectually and otherwise. It was also the first community I spent any amount of time in. Then I met some amazing people. And *then* I met this nice fellow from Oxfordshire <loveblush. Then the poor sod came to the States to marry me! smiley - wow I'm more indebted to Hootoo than just about anything, and I'm grateful for all the kindness I've been shown. smiley - cry

Post 207

The Iron Maiden

azahar - funny you mention looking back on hold posts. I've stumbled across some old threads of mine and have been actually quite shocked at how my opinions have changed, how naive I could be and how aggressive I could be smiley - biggrin I don't know if mellowing out is a blessing or a curse though. Now I usually just snub someone and give them some condescending you're-inferior-to-me-and-can-never-match-my-awesomeness attitude...with a bit of self-esteem destruction to boot. Maybe I've gotten worse smiley - tongueout

Post 208

azahar

Iron Maiden,

Yes, I think it's interesting to see how one changes, or doesn't change. It's really a bit like a public diary of one's thoughts, beliefs and feelings.

az

Post 209

Serephina

Just try to refrain from posting after a few too many smiley - stiffdrinks smiley - blush

Post 210

azahar

Well, I haven't *quite* learned that one yet . . .

az

Post 211

Serephina

Me neither thats why I said it! I hate to think of some of things that are now pretty much permanently on view smiley - blushsmiley - laugh

Post 212

Saturnine

smiley - book

*just passing through*

smiley - smiley

*hugs Nyssa*

smiley - run

Post 213

azahar

*glimpses at the blur that is Sat passing through*

Okay, well, who else wants to talk about what h2g2 means to them?

az

Post 214

Ged42

H2G2 is part of my cunningly constructed, Uni Coursework Avoidance Scheme, and is suceeding in ways far beyond my estimated levels of laziness smiley - zzz

Post 215

The Iron Maiden

Hmmm, that's a point...it'll be a little while before I can try and see if I can post on here while under the influence...not tonight then smiley - tongueout

Post 216

Uncle_Bob - Back In Black

i was introduced to h2g2 in January of this year and became addicted right from the word 'go'.

Well, actually from the words 'No, no, no!'

HA! HA! HA! BOOM BOOM!

smiley - coolBOBsmiley - cool

I need to get some serious help...

Post 217

aka Bel - A87832164

I found h2g2 last year after having read The Salmon Of Doubt.I'd never been in an internet forum before, because the idea of it somehow scared me, but after having explored this site a bit, I felt at home and safe, if you know what I mean smiley - smiley
I'm 42, married with two kids, working part time in a shop and h2g2 has recently become sort of escape from RL. I've got in touch with very many nice and interesting people and hope I'll meet some of them at the coming meet in London.
I've always loved to learn foreign languages, but usually don't have the chance to practise them, except when reading or watching tv, and I know that I've made progress since I started posting here,especially the word-threads are a challengesmiley - laugh

Post 218

McKay The Disorganised

I'm a 50 year old computer jockey with a wife and 6 kids.

I came here because I work 12 hour shifts, and once upon a time our only Internet access was to the BBC. I looked up my home town on h2g2 and found nothing but insults (and a piece on one of the churches) so decided to write an entry. (A892190)

I'm still here because I've never found anything else like this place on the net.

What do I get ? - Entertainment - education - enlightenment - enjoyment - competition - the opportunity to be multi-personality without getting told off for it.

smiley - cider

Post 219

Reefgirl (Brunel Baby)

Me, I'm a 35 year old female person, a chef in a local Military Hospital, seperated with one daughter

I came here because I went to the Alton Towers meet 2 years ago with an aquaitance from the X Files messagebaord who is also a member here, I was encouraged to join and boy am I glad I did, there is nothing else like it anywhere

What do I get out of it, where do I start I have made so many friends from all corners of the world here, I have a chance to air oppinions, play games and endulge in my writing passions, I'll recommend this place to anyone, my boyfriend has already joined so I have done my bit for recruitment

Post 220

Uncle_Bob - Back In Black

Here Here!

Key: Complain about this post