A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Things that should be invented

Post 81

Captain Kebab

All this stuff is very useful, but how about a machine that goes 'ping' and points at people who pick their nose at the traffic lights. We can see through your windows, people! smiley - silly

Post 82

Arpeggio - Keeper, Muse, Against Sequiturs, à propos of nothing in particular

A situation comedy style laugh-track car horn? (in addition to the usual kind) preferably with an extensible finger that points?

Post 83

unremarkable: Lurker, OMFC, LPAS

i've always thought a car mounted paintball gun would be cool, so whenever someone did something foolish or rude you could express your displeasure calmly and rationally. we would also know onsight who were bad drivers and who were good drivers, just by their painjob... smiley - smiley

Post 84

Xanatic

Some of the things mentioned on here have already been invented. The food that heats itself has apparently been made. And also those things you use for ice bags at sports, you could just put one of those with a can and it would cool.

And something that tells people is gay, there is the gaydar. But you of course need to find something that tells when people are not gay. So Sony(I think) has invented a device you can have in your pocket. You just write your vital stats into it, and it beeps if someone with a compatible vital stats comes along.

About the serial killers, I did not say that is how it where. Just that it was how I thought it could be. I wouldn´t claim to know enough about them to say something like that.

Post 85

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

Xanatic -- tell me more about this Sony vital stats device, as you called it. You have aroused my curiousity!!!

smiley - smiley
Mikey

Post 86

Xanatic

Well, right now all I can remember is that it was badly designed and had bad colors. Was made out of colored translucent plastic. But I think I have a magazine where it is mentioned. Or else try finding a gadget-mad site on the internet.

Post 87

Honey³

one more remark and then I'll shut up about the 'IQ-limited-breeding' subject forever : I wanted to make clear that I found the remark of Mostly Harmless unbelievably stupid by remarking you could as well say that people with a high IQ should stop breeding and that this is equally stupid. In stead, some people seem to think that I really meant that, which is NOT THE CASE! Maybe I didn't make that clear enough, but I'm sorry, I'm not a native English speaker and this seems to cause misunderstandings from time to time.

I am completely opposed to the idea of fiddling with peoples genes like that, thank you. And yes, I've read George Orwell's '1984' and Aldous Huxley's 'brave new world', these are probably two of the most shocking books I've read in my entire live.

I do hope it is clear now that I don't consider anything regarding this subject as being funny, maybe it makes it even more repulsive if you put some smileys around it.

Post 88

Arpeggio - Keeper, Muse, Against Sequiturs, à propos of nothing in particular

Honey,

Amen! I didn't like the smileys and the obvious amusement on the parts of some people .

I, for one, did not mistake *your* sarcasm for seriousness, any more than I mistook their atrocious arguments for 'humour'.

Self-heating and self-cooling products have, in fact, been around a long time. Astronauts used them. There are usually one of each in any good First-Aid kit.

What I'd really like to see is a magnetic device for pulling all the 'IXTHUS' fish off of cars -- there are waaay too many of them.

This is not an anti-Christian remark. This is an anti-IXTHUS fish remark.

Arpeggio, for LeKZ

Post 89

Is mise Duncan

"This is not an anti-Christian remark."
Yes it is.
It might not be intended as such but that's different.

Post 90

The Cloud of the Unknowing

Well it IS an anti-Christian remark. If "there are waaay too many of them" how do you plan on getting rid of them, killing them? Maybe you would like to see the Christians being nailed to some of the crosses that they wear.

I may not have liked some of the statements in this conversation, but it seems to be open season on attacking Christians on a lot of the conversations here.

Please be a little more senitive about your statements.

The Cloud has spoken

Post 91

Is mise Duncan

Erm - I think he meant too many fish symbols, and since they are inanimate they don't need to be killed.
However, the ability to remove said fish would contravene the other persons righst to freedom of expression and freedom or religion.

Post 92

Cloviscat

Hmmm... although I tend to find myself siding with them on many of the discussions on h2g2, fish symbols annoy even me. 'Baby on board' signs annoy me as well, and I have nothing against babies.

Perhaps this is just a problem with people over associating their personality with their car - why do you never see fish symbols on houses?

Post 93

Mostly Harmless

< Off Topic Filter >

Post 94

Mostly Harmless

WOW, the off topic filter works.

How about a car the performs as and well or better the a gasoline/petro driven car be uses a renewable power source.

Mostly

Post 95

Woodpigeon

1) A way of getting into space for less than £1000.

(and presumably allowing you to return back safely, otherwise it wouldn't be too much fun smiley - winkeye )

2) Event-based memories, so, when you are passing a shop, a little message pops up telling you to buy some loo roll, or whatever. Or alternatively, when you see a friend, a list of things you need to talk to him or her appear.

CR

Post 96

Is mise Duncan

I already invented #2. I call my device the neuron activation gadget and it works by randomly triggering neurons which lead to memories being fired so you remember whatever it was. Indeed, with constant NAGging you need never forget the loo roll again smiley - laugh

What I'd like in return is constant internal temperature clothing..I think its silly to have to put on and take off jackets and pullovers etc all the time when the weather changes.

Post 97

Woodpigeon

LOL!!! I'm not sure if "invented" is the right word here smiley - smiley

Post 98

Rama - now floating around the world on Her Majesty's Finest

I like to invent a phone filtering system that filters out stupid questions from idiot computer users.

You might guess that it's been a bad day.

Rama

Post 99

Martin Harper

I'd like a head-up-display on my car which carefully censors out all bumper stickers of any type so that I don't have to see them. And the same HUD on a pair of sunglasses, too. Perhaps it could censor out really ugly paint jobs, too, and replace them with an interesting shade of mauve. smiley - smiley

Post 100

Rainbow (Slug no longer)

I find the fish symbols on cars serve as a warning "this drive drives slowly", just as the 'Baby on board' stickers warn you "this person will drive erratically" and Playboy stickers say "I'm an a****** who drives too fast!!" smiley - magic

I would like to invent a machine that detects people's true emotions and feelings - it would make relationships a lot easier (or not?)!! smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post