I will have to agree with that.

Mostly

Things that should be invented

Post 22

Phreako

The unclogable toilet

Post 23

Granny Weatherwax - ACE - Hells Belle, Mother-in-Law from the Pit - Haunting near you on Saturday

A remote zapper to fix the overbased stereos in the cars of people who park outside your house & drown out your television/hifi even though you're at the back of the house and make you close the windows & suffocate so that you can think!!

Slightly agrieved Granny!

Post 24

unremarkable: Lurker, OMFC, LPAS

How about a machine/engine/power plant that is run entirely on sleep. the people who worked at this plant would have nothing to do but sleep, and be paid for it! you would have to sleep at least 8 hours a day, sleep and work would be the same thing, thus leaving you a ton of time to yourself. After you'd gotten off of work, all you would have to do is make yourself tired during the day, doing what you want instead of staring at a cube wall...

Post 25

Phreako

Let me know when you have invented that so that I can apply for a job

Post 26

Mostly Harmless

Granny,

Buy yourself a very loud home stereo system and some hearing protection. The next time someone parks outside your home with over based stereo in their car move your speakers to the windows and crank your favorite music up as loud as it will go until they turn their stereo down. smiley - devil

Peace through superior firepower. smiley - cool

Mostly

Post 27

NMcCoy (attempting to standardize my username across the Internet. Formerly known as Twinkle.)

And you would get paid overtime for taking naps.

Post 28

ahhhhh! time and half for the afternoon doze... so sweet... smiley - smiley

Post 29

Granny Weatherwax - ACE - Hells Belle, Mother-in-Law from the Pit - Haunting near you on Saturday

Mostly, I don't need that, Grandad's a guitarist & has a lot of very powerful equipment set up in a bedroom at the front of the house. I can play the riffs to 'Smoke on the Water', 'Paranoid', 'Enter Sandman' and other little lullabies but I would like to keep the glass in the windows & the neighbours friendly, even those three streets away!!!! smiley - smiley

Does anyone happen to know what frequency those large, cheap in-car bass speakers will blow at? smiley - biggrin

Post 30

NMcCoy (attempting to standardize my username across the Internet. Formerly known as Twinkle.)

It wouldn't be frequency, it would be amperage.

Post 31

Xanatic

So now you want to kill stupid people, sounds like eugenics to me.

Post 32

Phreako

Not kill them
Just don't let them breed

Post 33

Xanatic

That´s not much better actually.

Post 34

what would be the differnce? poor stupid folks would still end up a dying breed either way.... (yeah, pun intended, thats right)

Post 35

Wayfarer-- I only wish I were crackly

how about a bathtub that is long enough to comfortably stretch out in? they are always so short that you have to kind of scrunch up to be in it at all, and can't really lie down. just a few extra feet would make such a difference..

Post 36

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

Mostly wrote:
"A machine that prevents people with an IQ below 100 from breeding."

When I first read this post, I assumed it was in jest. Looking back at the lack of smileys or such, and at the follow-up posts, I'm led to believe that it was actually serious.

If that's the case, this is easily the most offensive posting I've ever seen on h2g2. Let me remind you that 50% of the world (by definition) has an IQ of less than 100, and that many of those people are here on h2g2. There is absolutely no evidence that IQ score has anything to do with the ability to be a nice person, or even to be a good parent.

While I have nothing against an objective, balanced debate about eugenics, I think this comment was inappropriate in a high-traffic forum frequented by newbies.

smiley - sadface
Mikey

Post 37

that's true, but i've often thought it would be a good idea for there to be a parenting test to have to pass-- i think it would be what-would-you-do-if...? questions-- just simple things like basic first aid. and if they don't pass, then they should have to take a class or two and retake the test. after all, sometimes it's required for babysitting, and parenting would just be that several magnitudes more difficult, not paid, and all the time. and you can never say, "wait till your parents get home and you can ask them." also maybe if it were a little more hassle for people to become parents in the first place, and if they understood what it entailed better, maybe they wouldn't just decide to have a kid so they could have a little version of themselves.

Post 38

of course, that would be almost impossible to enforce.
back to the topic- how about a *completely effective* method of birth control, where you would not have to buy anything and could just *decide* that it would work. like how some people have enough control of their bodies to be able to control their temperature, pulse, sleep whenever they want, etc. like that. something that could work for anyone.

Post 39

Martin Harper

I was very close to yikesing that post (16). I'd got the window up, typed in my complaint, and was just about to hit the submit complaint button before I reconsidered.

I reconsidered because I thought it might possibly be particularly dry humour - or it might be the considered viewpoint of someone who is in favour of eugenics. Alternatively, it might be pure discrimination against the bottom 50% of people in a test of somewhat dubious validity measuring a very small part of the range of human abilities. One doesn't know.

So, Mostly - which of the three options best represents your position, if any? And if you are genuinely in favour of eugenics, perhaps you would care to explain this in a little detail, rather than making a few throwaway one-line posts?

-Xanthia

Post 40

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

I also considered Yikesing, but decided that would be the kind of thing that could be used as proof that we, as a community, need moderation. I figured it would be better if we could just deal with it ourselves.

Even if it was supposed to be humor, I think it was inappropriate the way it was phrased. I don't think it would have been funny regardless, but at least if there had been a smiley - tongueout or smiley - silly or somesuch, I would have known that the author wasn't talking seriously.

Mikey

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more