A Conversation for Ask h2g2

(The Return of) What book are you reading at this time?

Post 941

Ek* this space intentionally left blank *ki

Since I was last here I've finished Life of Pi which was brilliant, inhaled The Last Day of a Condemned Man and Divine Carnage (all about Caligula, Comodus and the various other badly behaved Roman Emperors) and am currently reading Rites of Passage by William Golding ... got nothing to read following this - got to find something ...

Post 942

mallory_knox

I too read a few books at a time so dont worry!!

i am half way through "Armand the smiley - vampire"by ann rice, which is quote good but not as good as the Lestat based books
and the second is " Carpe Juggulem " by terry pratchett, i love the discworld books, they are they best type of book to read after reading a hard going seriuos book. They must be read by all!!! i like his humour as it is subtle and cinical. this book focuses on the witchessmiley - witch who have lost granny weather wax in a time of need!

if any one has read the new ann rice book with Marius in it i would be greatful for your opinions on it smiley - biggrin

Post 943

Clive the flying ostrich: Amateur Polymath | Chief Heretic.

polished off the new discworld book a few weeks ago "nightwatch" and am back to makign steady progress through "Good faith and other essays" by Joseph. S. Catalano.

smiley - geek

Post 944

Lenny (Lynette)

James Herbert - the Magic Cottage

Post 945

Zantic - Who is this woman??

Hmmmm..can't be bothered goin through what I've read since last I was here.....tis a few.
Currently on Christopher Brookmyers "A big boy did it and ran away"

Excellent book...he writes a great rant does this boy. This book came straight on the back of "One fine day in the middle of the night" by the same authour.

Would appear he now featured on my favorites list. Oh wel...bye bye money.. smiley - winkeye

Post 946

The Fairy Melusine

I am rereading the Two Towers in preparation for the film. I have to concentrate on one thing at a time!

Post 947

The Ghost of Polidari

I seem to be slightly more advanced than Das Mouldy Sandwich - am reading 'Double Helix' by James Watson - his account of the discovery of the structure of DNA and the secret of life. C'mon DMS - get with the times!!! smiley - winkeye

At home am reading John McNab, by John Buchan - very entertaining...

Post 948

PaulBateman

I'm going for a retro/nostalga outlook. Besides I read the Double Helix during the first year of my A levels nearly nine years ago.

Post 949

Abi

Where's a handbag smiley when you need one? smiley - winkeye

Post 950

Saturnine

What's with the current trend for science books on here? I have no interest in genes and the whatnot. Does that make me un smiley - cool ?

Post 951

Abi

No it makes you unusual in regards to h2g2!

Post 952

Ashley

I'm currently reading the final in the Ripley Quintet - 'The Boy Who Followed Ripley'... gripping stuff. smiley - ok

Post 953

Saturnine

But science makes my head hurt...I don't understand it. Although I *did* get a C on the higher level GCSE Double Science exam. But I'm not a sciencey person!

smiley - yikes

I'm "unusual"...smiley - wah

No Subject

Post 954

Removed on request

Post 955

Saturnine

I'm *still* reading Sylvia Plath's "Letters"...if that is any kind of merit of my status on here...*snivel*

Post 956

PeterK

Hi all

Reading two books at the moment

1)the tales of Murasaki by Liza Dalby
and

2) The Siege by Helen Dunmore

Both seem to excellent reads Murasaki is set in ancient Japan and The Siege is about life and death in Leningrad prior to the great siege by the german army.

Happy Reading PeterK

Post 957

Metal Chicken

Still busy with Neal Stephenson's "Interface" - entertaining and thoughtful to some extent but characters not as well rounded as the more recent, superb and much lauded on here books such as Cryptonomicon and Snow Crash.

Just getting started with "The Fire Never Dies", a book of travel stories by a guy called Richard Sterling. And guess what - it came through the post for free smiley - magic I've just managed to win a little pile of books full of travellers' tales smiley - biggrinsmiley - boingsmiley - footprintssmiley - boing

Post 958

Euan - † - Getting a new laser to play with - woohoo

OK. Bought Wheel of Time book 3 on Saturday. Finished it on Sunday morning.

This could get expensive - there's still 6 to go (at least).

Post 959

DA ; Simply Vicky: Don't get pithy with me!

I have finished the 2nd best book of 2002, the first being 'The Jesus Sutras' by Martin Palmer. The second is, 'New Rulers of the World', by John Pilger. This is a *must* *read* for all on h2g2, whether they are left, right or centre!
I am also reading, in parallel, 'Star Trek: Across the Universe' by Pamela Sargent and George Zebrowski and 'Realms of the Gods' by Tamora Pierce. (As I am required to do, by terms of my contract with Jimmy N)smiley - cat

Post 960

Greta_9, Keeper of the 4/4 Beat and Deep Sexy Basslines, in a strange condition

Reading many Italian books in succession. Might be a while before I revert to international literature...

I actually got a very good idea for a novel this morning, I might start working on it soon.

Key: Complain about this post