A Conversation for Ask h2g2

(The Return of) What book are you reading at this time?

Post 1001

Chauncey

I just got done reading Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. Brilliant book!! Right now I am re-reading LOTR.
Chaunceysmiley - angel

Post 1002

Metal Chicken

Currently enjoying Alan Fletcher's "the art of looking sideways" - packed full of interesting images and ideas, difficult to describe but I'll be happily dipping into it for some time to come smiley - smiley

Also reading The Fresco by Sheri Tepper and have another travel book by my bed - "River Town" by Peter Hessler, based on his experiences of living in China and subtitled "2 years on the Yangtse"

Post 1003

PaulBateman

I thought about reading the Peter Hessler. I read River Throught the Centre of the World by Simon Winchester, a travel book about going down the Yangtze, a few years ago and it probably is still the best travel book I've ever read (which is quite impressive as most travel books tend to be better than most books in general). Anyway I though the Peer Hessler might be the same.

Post 1004

White Hart

Finished 'How to be Good' and I'm now one of the large number of people on this thread who seem to be reading 'Snow Crash' - I'm really enjoying it and certainly not finding it difficult, although I think you do have to be prepared to let it wash over you until you get the hang of the style.

I'm loving the ideas though, and the way Stephenson's 1992 vision of the Internet-to-come is like and yet unlike the Internet we all know and love smiley - smiley

Post 1005

RMF Art Vandelay: Missing- Presumed Fed[Hero], Join DISF at A925391!

Big Trouble - Dave Barry

Post 1006

abbi normal "Putting on the Ritz" with Dr Frankenstein

Mother Earth Spirituality by Ed McGaa *Eagle Man*

Post 1007

Tilly - back in mauve

I've just started on a monstrous edition of "Don Quijote" by Cervantes. Since it newly was voted "history's greatest book" here in Norway I thought I'd have a go smiley - ok

Post 1008

Dr E Vibenstein (You know it is, it really is.)

This week I are been mostly reading "Blessed" - George Best's autobiography, of which I shall now attempt to provide a synopsis in smilie form.

smiley - runsmiley - football
smiley - ale

smiley - runsmiley - football
smiley - alesmiley - bubblysmiley - ale

smiley - runsmiley - footballsmiley - puff
smiley - bubblysmiley - stiffdrinksmiley - alesmiley - bubbly

smiley - footballsmiley - runsmiley - bubblysmiley - stiffdrinksmiley - stiffdrinksmiley - alesmiley - bubbly

smiley - ill
smiley - runsmiley - doctor

Thank you very much. smiley - smiley

Post 1009

Lenny (Lynette)

Nicely done!

I'm reading The World According to Garp by John Irving...

Post 1010

Ek* this space intentionally left blank *ki

Well, under the skin turned out to be about as bizarre as you can imagine - very well written and very good but generally quite smiley - weird ... moved swiftly onwards to Vile Bodies by Evelyn Waugh - haven't really had a chance to get my teeth into it as yet but I suspect two flights in the next two days may resolve that problem ...

Post 1011

The Ghost of Polidari

The Amber Spyglass - Philip Pulman.

Post 1012

Wejut - Sage of Slightly Odd Occurrences and Owlatron's Australian Thundercat

Zeno and the Tortoise by Fearn
Very cool. Short history of philosophy, very very readable.
smiley - magic

Post 1013

Saturnine

Further to the Neal Stephenson fetish us researchers seem to have...I'm still hacking through *Zodiac*...which is OK...but not as good as *Snow Crash*. I find William Gibson is more complicated to read than Stephenson...so I am also attempting to read *Burning Chrome* (which is very good, but I still prefer *Idoru*).

*How to Be Good* was, in my opinion, and absolutely sh*te book. Nothing can beat *About a Boy*...and I was horrified when the film came out. Haven't seen it yet, so can anyone confirm the terrifying reality...they DID cut out the Nirvana/Kurt Cobain element from it, didn't they? smiley - wah

Other books I am reading - Still HHGTTG, "The Insult" by Rupert Thomson, lots of poetry - specifically SYlvia Plath and Ted Hughes. I took out WIll Self's *Sweet Smell of Psychosis* and enjoyed it, but finished it in three hours. Oh and I have a bunch of pre 9/11 short stories about New York to read too. Which are probably the last lot to be unaffected by the nauseating event/aftermath...

Post 1014

Z Phantom

Straight silver - Dan Abnet, (part of a series of 6 books so far-well worth a read)
HHGTG- a continual read (once i've finished it i start reading again)
the two towers-JRR tolkien
AQA AS biology >
AQA AS chemistry > (i'm supposed to be revising for a test, but these 2 seem to get the least attention)

Post 1015

PaulBateman

Just Finished - 'The Facts of Life' by Graham Joyce

Just Started - 'Abarat' by Clive Barker

Post 1016

DoctorGonzo

Exterminate all the Brutes by Sven Lindqvist - it's a history of racism and colonialism in Europe. Just another light read... smiley - erm

Post 1017

Stealth "Jack" Azathoth

Robert Rankin > The Book Of Ultimate Truths

smiley - loveblush Tis much with the Greatnesssmiley - winkeye

Post 1018

toybox

Just started 'So long, and thanks for all the fish' aigain.

Post 1019

friendlywithteeth

Just finished the Ropemaker by Peter Dickinson,

Now onto Night Watch by T Pratchett smiley - smiley

Post 1020

wazzow

just finished "krondor the betrayl" by raymond e feist.

have started reading pyramids again...so funny.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more