A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What's in a (nick)name?

Post 141

Mund

I'd never thought of Molesworth having any sexual side, but your gosh... is making me change my mind.

What's in a (nick)name?

Post 142

MrsCloud

well lets see, my boyfriend has the nickname Cloud in one place online (i think something due to having his head in the clouds) and to give him a scare i logged on as MrsCloud since then it has stuck with me more then some of my others due to representing my organised mature side rather then Saphire (or Saph) which i nowards days consider as my childish nieve name which i used when i first came on the net, i've grown up since then.

to explain saphire it should be sapphire which is my birthstone but it got mangled due to my appaling spell and i didn't realise this until i had been using the name for many months and someone pointed it out to me, then i just kept it and the spelling mistake is so apt.

and no i'm not married

What's in a (nick)name?

Post 143

Mund

Did you know that ruby dung is an anagram of burgundy?

What's in a (nick)name?

Post 144

Jack, A Roo (1*8*6)-(((4*(3!))/4)=42 [Keeper of Macropods, Marsupials, Misplaced Left Parenthesis, & other things Australian]

Mine is fairly straightforward. My offline name is Jack, well......that's a nickname as well since on the birth certificate its John (middle name Bleecker). The reason I became Jack almost from birth is that I am the 4th in succession with the same name in my family and all the names were used up (JB, John, Bleecker). Plus my mum refused to have her "oldest called Little Johnny or some such rubbish". My father has called me Jackson among other things. Growing up meant having all kinds of hurtful names thrown at one, but thats what kids do at that life stage.
Post college, my boss at work a few years ago took to calling me Jackaroo, which in addition to being the Aussie term for a young cowboy also reflects my extreme fondness for the land Down Under, I adopted as my online SN in some form or fashion. smiley - smiley
In coming to h2g2, I modified it to fit with the slightly eccentric sense of humour exhibited here.
BTW, did I mention I love eccentricity.

What's in a (nick)name?

Post 145

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

X-centricity would be a nice name.

What's in a (nick)name?

Post 146

Mund

Nicknames are dangerous. We can choose our own, but do other people use them? Others can call us names, and are we aware of them?

What's in a (nick)name?

Post 147

Emily 'Twa Bui' Ultramarine

Given that as a baby my nickname was the Michelin Baby (rounder than I was tall, you see), it probably won't surprise you to discover that my Chinese family nickname is 'Twa-Bui', which translates directly as 'fat pig'. Meant in the nicest possible way, of course. Unfortunately, I am now rather too thin for my nickname, but never mind - mud sticks. smiley - silly

What's in a (nick)name?

Post 148

Jack, A Roo (1*8*6)-(((4*(3!))/4)=42 [Keeper of Macropods, Marsupials, Misplaced Left Parenthesis, & other things Australian]

~jwf~, I can even picture a logo for X-centric, an X in the middle of two or more concentric circles. I wish I'd had the smarts to come up with X-centric first! Cheers mate!

What's in a (nick)name?

Post 149

But you did! You really did! I just put down what came to mind while reading your article ...and the word eccentricity.
This is cyberspace my friend. The dot.communist whirled of many brains. The fact that the word exploded in your minds'eye when you saw it, confirms the feedback loop. It is yours. I only calls 'em as I sees 'em.
peace
jwf - infinitely loopy

What's in a (nick)name?

Post 150

I'm a sharing kind of person, and only mildly xcentric, really, just mildly (stop sniggering smiley - winkeye), so the nick is freely available. Dot.communist world, I like that turn of phrase. smiley - biggrin

What's in a (nick)name?

Post 151

Tefkat

Aye. ~jwf~ often has funny turns.
(You're a smiley - star ~jwf~)

What's in a (nick)name?

Post 152

Cadi Merchionamercheluned

I chose the name Cadi Merchionamercheluned (Cadi for short) because I am stranded in Birmingham at uni, and feeling very cut off from my roots. So here I am asserting my sense of family and Welshness. The name is based on the Icelandic idea of taking your parent's name as your surname, and translates as : Katy, Janet's daughter, Lyn's daughter. Contrived? Yes. But I don't have to keep typing it, and anyway, I've told people to call me Cadi.

Of course, as a Goon Show fan, I could have chosen Eccles' nickname - Nick. (Ha ha)

What's in a (nick)name?

Post 153

You can call me TC

After I'd joined up and immersed myself in the Hitchhiker books, I wished I'd taken Eccentrica Galactica and I was surprised that no one else has taken it. OTOH - maybe it would sort of brandmark me as less respectworthy and serious - and now I've dashed my chances of logging in anonymously with a second - more brazen - alter ego.

What's in a (nick)name?

Post 154

Saint Patrick Patron Saint of Depression: Here to haunt your dreams and stalk your waking hours

never mind.

Well for the first time in a year I've changed my name. I'm still St Patrick but due to Suz's threatening to leave in an attempt to keep her here and get her to talk to me I've gone and changed my name and main page entry also for the first time in a year in an attempt to woo her back.

What's in a (nick)name?

Post 155

Lenny (Lynette)

Lenny is a name I got when I was 11 and started 'big' school. My real name is Lynette but apparently people found that quite posh and hard to pronounce so they suggested Lenny. Only my family call me Lyn! I thought this was in tribute to Lenny Henry 'coz I was always cracking jokes but they tell me it was more to do with Kylie Minogue's character Charlene in Neighbours. No, I don't look like Kylie Minougue. The cherry sunburst part refers to my favourite finish on a guitar. If I was a guitar, I should want to be finished in cherry sunburst. Any the wiser?!
smiley - bigeyes

What's in a (nick)name?

Post 156

Whoa! There's another great name going begging - "Any the Wiser".
Wish I'd thought of that! Seriously.
smiley - biggrin

What's in a (nick)name?

Post 157

good plan (not a member of the denial club at A638589)

'good plan' is just something i say a lot at the moment.
its true there are an infinite number of names out there for the taking. if i could remember half of the ones i've used and seen used on msn i'd have a start. thats the thing about h2g2 names, once you've got one you're pretty much stuck with it, if you feel like changing you have to stick a (formally __________) label on the end in order to avoid complete confusion. long names are neccessary to didtinguish people who choose to have their real names. in a previous incarnation (yes, i've had a few) i was called simply jenny for a while which caused no end of problems till i elongated it, though not without long consultation with other researchers.

What's in a (nick)name?

Post 158

Ruby Tuesday

Mine is as obvious as it gets, it's a song. "Goodbye, Ruby Tuesday"...for anyone who doesn't understand. A nickname from teenage years, given by a brother whom I lost many years ago. I use the name on line everywhere for nostalgia. Those here, who know me elsewhere, would tell you that it suits me. smiley - winkeye

BTW, ~jwf~, I like your idea. smiley - smiley

What's in a (nick)name?

Post 159

Saint Patrick Patron Saint of Depression: Here to haunt your dreams and stalk your waking hours

I've had a name change again, due to Ruth and Suz, hence the much happier and loss of the stay Suz smiley - smiley Yay.

What's in a (nick)name?

Post 160

Martin Harper

> "Lucinda, please be sure to re-post the link to your fine article every time the page turns here, wouldja huh, please"

Heh, I missed that, the first time round. But if you insist... smiley - smiley

{blatant plug: http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A442333
- "The Meanings of Usernames"}

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more