A Conversation for Ask h2g2

How tenuous are your connections to the rich and famous?

Post 281

Orcus

Well I do now smiley - ok

Surprised he didn't frighten away the other wrestlers by being very very strange smiley - weird

From the above post, dontcha just love b-class celebrities who get big ego trips above their station smiley - groan

Post 282

Captain_SpankMunki [Keeper & Former ACE] Thanking <Diety of choice> for the joy of Goo.

Did anyone see the Louis Theroux interview with Sir Jimmy? What a strange, strange man. I was half expecting him to open a wardrobe door and reveal the decaying corpse of his mother - รก la Avid Merrion.

Liam.

Post 283

IctoanAWEWawi

Yeah, and do you remember him on HIGNFY? One got the feeling that Paul Merton may well not be his No. 1 fan smiley - winkeye

Post 284

Captain_SpankMunki [Keeper & Former ACE] Thanking <Diety of choice> for the joy of Goo.

I missed that one. He was on Ricky Gervais as well smiley - laugh

Liam.

Post 285

ali1kinobe

Yeah sir Jimmy is a strange man indeed, you'll be glad to hear that my dad was disqualified when fighting him. He punched jimmy (illegal in wrestling), now that is a claim to fame (I just hope it isn't one of my dads tall stories-i'd respect anyone who punced Mr Saville)smiley - biggrin.

Post 286

Teasswill

According to our local paper it was said Jimmy's 76th birthday yesterday. Hows about that then guys n gals? smiley - weird

Post 287

Now then, now then. *waves cigar*

Liam.

Post 288

milo

My friend's nan is close friends with Anthony Hopkins mum.

Post 289

You can call me TC

I have just realised I've got two macabre links.

My cousin who lives in Canada knows the mother of the freighter pilot who crashed over Lake Constance (crashed with a plane load of Russion schoolchildren this summer)

Don't remember it? Well, maybe it wasn't such a big news item in the UK.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/not_in_website/syndication/monitoring/media_reports/2093522.stm

A cousin of my husband told us this story at a family 'do' recently. He gave us a biro which he had in his pocket to look at.

Later on he told us that he had been at a trade fair (in Hamburg, I think) on his firm's stand and two young Arab students had come and talked to him about the equipment he was selling and chatted to him for a while and filled in forms to be sent further information and updates etc. For this, they borrowed his biro.

They used their real names - one of them was Atta. They stopped and spoke at some length, but said that they probably wouldn't be able to come to the fair next year.

This was less than a week before 11 September 2001. The two students were the hijack pilots who flew into the WTC.

He says he was certainly amazed when he heard the names on the news a few days later. He informed the police and has kept that biro with him ever since.

However, it seemed so amazingly far-fetched, that we're not sure we believe him.

Post 290

abbi normal "Putting on the Ritz" with Dr Frankenstein

Jane Pauely. I went to school with her. Very smart, respected ,Good Girl. I first met her at the start of Jr. High School. I had sprouted breast over the summer. I got onto the school bus the first day of 7th grade and was teased by the boys. Aparently the boys were enthusiastically awaiting any new physical maturity of the girls over the summer.I did not know a soul,most were guys or freshmen. Jane said come here, sit by me.Obviously this girl was special/different.Of course I always noticed her after that.

Post 291

I was in (geesh do not even remember who/what airport for sure)an airport in Europe, when the guy whom shot Ruby (Ruby shot Oswald?)was arrested. I was on a school trip abroad.The 60's were a scarey time for a youngsters too! IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER:I DO NOT "KNOW" THESE PEOPLE! ***singinging to self: Paranoia will DEstroy ya.***

Post 292

BobTheFarmer

My Great Grandfather was Lord Mayor of Weymouth.

Channel 4 made a program about my brother once too...

Post 293

Just Bob aka Robert Thompson, plugging my film blog cinemainferno-blog.blogspot.co.uk

Who is/was Marti Caine, then?

Post 294

NAITA (Join ViTAL - A1014625)

I'm descended from the Norwegian Viking kings, and therefore from the Norse Gods. Pity they say any genealogy in Norway beyond the Black Death is 99% certain to be fraud. :D

Post 295

julyflower

Bob - I'm on tenterhooks - what about your brother ??

Post 296

I just shared a lift with Sumner Redston - CEO of Viacom, CBS, Paramount

Liam.

Post 297

Abi

Raymond Burr who played Perry Mason died oweing my Dad money!

Post 298

Orcus

Marti Caine page on imdb... http://us.imdb.com/Name?Caine,+Marti

a suitably thin entry I reckon smiley - laugh

And...er who is Jane Pauley? smiley - erm

Post 299

Orcus

Phew, finally found a picture... http://tv.cream.org/arkh2.htm

she's the one on the left. To summarise her career, she won New Faces (a TV talent show, UK) and became a minor comdienne/TV presenter for a while the late seventies (I think), 80s and (apparently) nineties smiley - smiley

Post 300

Jane is on US TV. She was on the today show for years before the current anchor,Katie Kouric.She does news specials now.She is married to the creator of the Doonesbury (sp?)comic strip,I believe.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more