A Conversation for Ask h2g2

How tenuous are your connections to the rich and famous?

Post 241

Hoovooloo

OK, let's see how we can do...

Um... my stepsister used to work for Rick Astley's dad.

Cliff from Cheers executive produced and appeared in a bizarre one-off TV play which was shot in the halls of residence I lived in while we were all away for Christmas.

The mother and father of a friend of mine from the other university I went to appeared as extras in the movie "Let Him Have It".

And the most tenuous one I can think of... I appeared as Benvolio in "Romeo and Juliet" on the same stage that Sir Ian "Gandalf" McKellen saw his first ever Shakespeare play on. Several years separated these two events, obviously...

H.

Post 242

Hoovooloo

Ooh, and my uncle's best friend's next door neighbour was John Candy.

H.

Post 243

Emily 'Twa Bui' Ultramarine

My step-grandmother is Pamela May, famous ballerina... and her real name's Doris, you know. smiley - winkeye

Post 244

Dr E Vibenstein (You know it is, it really is.)

Today I processed a credit card application for an '80s pop star. Unfortunately I'm not allowed to say who. smiley - sadface

Post 245

Just Bob aka Robert Thompson, plugging my film blog cinemainferno-blog.blogspot.co.uk

Get this! Ionce saw SIR PATRICK MOORE ... on TV! Isn't that just so special?
Sorry if someone's done that joke already.

Post 246

egon

I nearly knocked Michael Palin over when i bumped into him in Sunderland last week.

I once went to a Beautiful South after show party.

My Dad once played rugby against Bill Beaumont

My cousin once went on a date with the England and Nottinghamshire Cricketer usman Afzaal's brother, Cam

You know that guy who took customs to court because they took his sister's car as well as all his cigarettes? My Dad was his solicitor.

Need I go on?

Post 247

egon

I nearly knocked Michael Palin over when i bumped into him in Sunderland last week.

I once went to a Beautiful South after show party.

My Dad once played rugby against Bill Beaumont

My cousin once went on a date with the England and Nottinghamshire Cricketer usman Afzaal's brother, Cam

You know that guy who took customs to court because they took his sister's car as well as all his cigarettes? My Dad was his solicitor.

Need I go on?

Post 248

Just Bob aka Robert Thompson, plugging my film blog cinemainferno-blog.blogspot.co.uk

I think I _might_ have seen John Thompson in town earlier today.

Post 249

egon

Oh, well, if we're going on might haves, I saw someone who looked vaguely like Niall Quinn the other month....

Post 250

And a bit over a week ago I saw a glance of a face that looked like Gary Neville's. It's kind of hard to scrutinize these things when you're on a bike.

Post 251

egon

Oh, another tenuous link:

My British politics lecturer once appeared on "On The Record"

Post 252

One of my lecturers was taught by a Nobel prize winner.

Post 253

mrs the wife

OK, here goes...

My ex-boyfriend was dumped by another girlie in favour of George Michael (then the saddo sold his story to the News of the World - yuk!)
A chum at uni was taught art by Bryan Ferry
Another chum's uncle was Brian Glover
A different chum was the photographer for the Stranglers
Our local MP lives six doors down the road
My husband used to drink with Lemmy from Motorhead
I fell over Jimmy Sommerville at a Bananarama gig (he's tiny)

Phew!

smiley - artist

Post 254

egon

"I fell over Jimmy Sommerville at a Bananarama gig"
smiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - laugh

Post 255

mrs the wife

As I said... he really is very tiny! or are you dissing the nana's? smiley - winkeye

smiley - artist

Post 256

egon

I've just got his image of Jimmy Somerville standing there, minding his own business, when all of a sudden someone comes along and falls over the poor little Ian hislop lookalike.

smiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - laugh

Post 257

mrs the wife

Well he did seem a little surprised which is in itself surprising as anyone that diminutive must be used to being fallen over upon!

smiley - artist

Post 258

egon

I remember when I was a bout 13 (ooh, it was a whole 8 years ago smiley - smiley), and I was a bout 6ft 2 at the time, i was playing rugby in PE and there was this kid called Albert who was a bout 4ft 3, and he was on the other team, and I was running forward with the ball, getiing near the line and I fell over Albert.

Also, when i saw Michael Palin last week, he was just standing up from the book signing table in Ottakars in Sunderland, and I walked into him. I'm 6 ft8, and he's what, a 60-yeaqr old whose about 5ft10, so i felt a bit tight but then, hey, he;s the millionaire isn't he?

Post 259

Raindawn - Keeper of Bookshelves that Defy the Laws of Physics

My brother went out to a bar with Weird Al Yankovic after a concert. (Weird Al actually dialed my phone number! but my brother answered, so it's still tenuous, since I didn't talk to him).

At an Aerosmith concert, Steven Tyler asked my cousin and his friend who were sitting front row center "What would you guys like to here?" when it was time for the encore, so my cousin said "Dream On" and the band played it for him.

I went to the same high school as American actor, Tony Schalloub (years later), and my dad says he knew Tony's brothers and sisters when he attended highschool there.

My cousin's wife was asked by Jay Leno during a comedy routine how many cats she had.

The same cousin's daughter was invited on stage by the band Cheap Trick. Robin Zander asked her where she was from and gave her a T-Shirt smiley - smiley

A girl I went to high school met the guy who played the piccolo-trumpet solo in "Penny Lane" by the Beatles.

Another girl I went to highschool with met Gary Senise (Lt. Dan in "Forrest Gump") in one of her acting classes in college.

A guy i went to highschool and college with had a jam session with Wynton Marsalis.

The parents of my best friend in 7th grade are good friends with the guy who established Earth Day as a holiday.

I could go on and on.... smiley - winkeye

Cheers! smiley - ok
Raindawn

Post 260

sprout

Talking of eeny weeny people, I once went to a Paul Daniels book signing in Bolton.

My cousin's uncle was once treasurer of a Tory party conference. (they're the dodgy side of the family) smiley - winkeye

The moderator at a conference I spoke at was John Craven smiley - smiley but then he introduced me in quite a derogatory way smiley - sadface (not about me, about what I do) I blame it on him not having Shep anymore...

I've met the ex-President of Malta.

Sprout

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more