Playing About

Post 4841

Gnomon - time to move on

There was a review of a concert many years ago which said:

"The XXX Orchestra played Brahms last night. Brahms lost."

Playing About

Post 4842

Researcher 188007

Perhaps some of the orchestra were Brahms and Liszt. smiley - groan Sorry.

Ictoan, 'with' used to mean 'against', and this meaning is still preserved in some cases, just to confuse English learners.

Playing About

Post 4843

Gnomon - time to move on

Jack is right. The Old English word "wither", from which we get "with", meant "against".

Playing About

Post 4844

IctoanAWEWawi

wither meant against? Oh. i always thought it meant 'where' as in lost. I.e. "He knows not whither he goes". Just goes to show what I know smiley - smiley

I like the concert review one, very good!

So, these 'ithers' then, what are they all about? Hither, thither, wither. Sounds like there should be some more, yither? I suppose that's me thinking of 'yonder' though.

Playing About

Post 4845

Researcher 188007

to here, to there, to where.

hence, thence, whence.
from here, from there, from where.

Playing About

Post 4846

IctoanAWEWawi

So, thinking about it, would that be wither as in widdershins? I believe the 'widder' bit is the 'against' bit which would link to what you said earlier. so is widder acutally just an older/different spelling of wither or a derivative?

Playing About

Post 4847

Gnomon - time to move on

When I said Old English, I meant Anglo-Saxon, which was pre-Norman Invasion. Our with comes the Old English "wiÞer". But our whither comes from the Old English "hwider".

Playing About

Post 4848

You can call me TC

They are still used in German. You can't just say "where" ("Wo") if movement is involved. You have to discern between going to and coming from.

"Wo kommst du her" means "Where do you come from" (or "where have you been? - i.e. "where are you coming from at this moment?") and "Wo gehst du hin" means "where are you going (to)?"

Has anyone changed their way of speaking in any way as a result of things said on this thread?

I hope this posting will not be moderated because they say they're clamping down on foreign languages. Foreign to England that is. (Not Britain, the word is carefully chosen, as I expect even Welsh will be censored)

I wish I knew what sparked this foreign-language-postings problem off.

Playing About

Post 4849

Researcher 188007

F19585?thread=190857

We were having a little fun with some Franglais, or Frenchlish, as it is probably to be known as in future.

Playing About

Post 4850

IctoanAWEWawi

Yes, I now habitually use Old English in RL following Gnomons instructive posts and guide entry.

Seriously, it has helped more in my written language (although you may not guess that fromt he posts here!). Mainly this is in formal writting for business documents. It just helps to present a more professional approach.

Playing About

Post 4851

Phil

I have had Welsh moderated even though there is a whole BBC Online section devoted to the language (http://www.bbc.co.uk/cymru).

Playing About

Post 4852

You can call me TC

Are we professionals? Wow?!?!?

Playing About

Post 4853

Gnomon - time to move on

Ictoan, I'm glad to hear that someone reads my Entries!smiley - smiley

Playing About

Post 4854

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

Be doubly glad Meester Gnomon. smiley - cheers
Or probably 'very' glad as I'm sure many people saw and felt your anger. Justifiable outrage, terse, succinct and to the point. Your comments regarding the announcement are an inpsiration. I wish I could have said it as well.
~j~

Playing About

Post 4855

Bels - an incurable optimist. A1050986

Posting 4842 reminds me of an American usage:

Bach wrote Mass in A. But Massenet never wrote Bach.

Playing About

Post 4856

Runner

eh?

Playing About

Post 4857

Researcher 188007

smiley - laugh Quite clever that.

Playing About

Post 4858

Gnomon - time to move on

smiley - laugh

Playing About

Post 4859

Bels - an incurable optimist. A1050986

Oh, the other one is the theatre review of a production of 'King Lear', where the reviewer said of the leading actor, 'He played the King as though someone had already played the ace.'

Playing About

Post 4860

Runner

that reminds me of the classic quote (do you know the source?) "There's lots here that's original and good. Unfortunately what's original isn't good and what's good isn't original".

Key: Complain about this post