A Conversation for South African Jargon Directory - A survival guide for visitors

Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 81

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've therefore moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!

Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 82

the_jon_m - bluesman of the parish

points out they my concerns were not addressed, the article is still listing proper english words as slang and then giving the american word for them - ie : pacifier

and also is loading with cockney and no note is mate of their orgingins.

But hey, somebody ignored that

**sulks off**

A2883152 - SA Jargon Directory - A survival guide to visitors

Post 83

Koshana

Ok, so the review is done.

As to the perspective issue - here I sit, in South Africa - and I have no idea which of the words are also slang in the UK or elsewhere. What I can tell you is that they're SA slang/colloquialisms that I've heard tourist express bafflement over (wether US or UK tourists no matter). As I've said before - this is not directed at any batch of tourists in particular (and quite frankly the Americans can quite happily stay where they are).
The bottom line is that a lot of these words are words that I know a visitor to SA (be they German, Australian or Brittish or . . yes American) might encounter and be baffled by.

Since Microsoft keeps reverting to US English on the spellchecker (after every word!) I cant promise the spelling is all correct, but I gave it my best shot (now will someone tell me how to delete the blerry US English dictionary off my PC!)smiley - smiley

Keep passing open windows
smiley - fairy
Kosh

Post 84

Danny B

Hello smiley - smiley

I'm in the process of sub-editing this excellent Entry - you can find it at A4351402.

I've formatted it in GuideML, and also taken in a couple of the outstanding comments that people raised in this thread - I hope you like what I've done with it smiley - ok

smiley - cheers

Danny B.

Post 85

Milos

Hey, Danny - your spacing seems to be off under the 'Skop' heading, missing tags, perhaps? (I didn't check)

Post 86

Danny B

Funny - didn't show up in Mozilla! Anyway, corrected now - thanks!

Anyone know if Koshana is still around..?

smiley - cheers

Post 87

Danny B

Hello again...

I need to send this Entry back to the Editors, but if you do have any comments you can either let me know here, or post them directly to <./>Feedback-Editorial</.>

smiley - cheers

Danny B.

Post 88

Koshana

Hi Danny,

Sorry I've been off for a bit - think it looks great - but I think you edited the "unreviewed" one - the last version I posted had additional words - some which were suggested by other hoootoooers and some added bits. "Poitjie" for example and "Bunny-Chow".

The links are cool! smiley - biggrin

Thanks for the ML-stuff input - would never have been able to figure that stuff out.

Keep passing open windows!
Kosh

Post 89

Danny B

Ah - if you made changes to your version after it was picked from Peer Review then they wouldn't have been in the copy that was made to be subbed. I'll see about getting the extra words in via Editorial Feedback smiley - ok

Post 90

Koshana

Cool! thanks smiley - biggrin

Post 91

malcstonbru

Hi Koshana
I don't know if it's too late but the word is spelled potjie.
Cheerssmiley - cheers
Malcstonbru

Post 92

Danny B

Nope - not too late smiley - smiley

F47997?thread=696750

Post 93

Koshana

Ok but then we need to put a "pronounced - Poy-Kie" notation in otherwise the brits will start calling it pot-gee smiley - smiley. God only knows what the Americans would do with it smiley - smiley.

KPOW

Post 94

Danny B

No problem smiley - smiley

Post 95

Koshana

This bothered me - I was really sure about the Poitjie spelling - so I looked it up and it IS correct. Its spelt POITJIE not Potjie. Sorry I should't have been so quick to accept that I was wrong - just not the worlds best spell-checker without techno assist so deferred.

So just to clarify - Poitjie is the correct spelling.

KPOW
Kosh

Post 96

Danny B

smiley - doh

Right - leave it with me..!

Post 97

Danny B

All done now smiley - smiley

A4351402

Post 98

Researcher 825122

It's a great entry.

Post 99

Koshana

Thanks Kra! And thanks for all the editing etc guys!

smiley - fairy
Kosh

Key: Complain about this post