A Conversation for Miscellaneous Chat

Welcome to the Don't Panic Forum!

Post 1

Yoz

This may be the first forum you've seen on h2g2. You may find it strange-looking and confusing. You may want to run off to another bit of the web which is nice and simple, where you don't have to actually talk to real people.

DON'T PANIC.

This forum is for all those who are new to the Guide, who may be having trouble with certain bits of it or have crucial questions they want answered. (All the Don't Panic pages link here, so it's easy to find.)

If you've got a question, don't be afraid to ask it, no matter how silly you think it might be. Also, if you think there's something wrong with the Guide, or have suggestions for improving it, this is a good place to mention it.

It's also quite a good place to discuss frogs.

-- Yoz

Re: Welcome to the Don't Panic Forum!

Post 2

Jory

What kind of frogs?

Post 3

Jim Lynn

Whatever kind you like?

Re: Entries

Post 4

Kawartha

Hmmm... terrific place you've got here, real horror show (in the good sense). I was just wondering, as I stumbled through this thing which, for the sake of what most people seem to call an argument, I shall call life, how exactly does one go about adding a new entry???? I'm very keen on this concept and "Don't Panic!", while useful, was not very clear on this process. Sorry if I was being verbose, being in odd temporal areas does that to me.

Re: Entries

Post 5

Elite

Nice place you have here. I'm quite dizzy with anticipation. Or is it the wind?

Welcome to the Don't Panic Forum!

Post 6

Peta

The SST Starship Titanic and Douglas Adams forums have developed some of the nicest, most interesting forums. I was invited to stick around a while about a year ago, and have been visiting ever since - I'll stick around here too, see what happens!

I fear I must Panic!!

Post 7

Jory

I find that the links to the FAQ and to the full list of "Don't Panic" entries both lead right back
to the frontpage. I am in a spin. I am dizzy. I click ....I click... I click....I end up where I started.
Someone help me. Stop the circle.!
-Jory

I fear I must Panic!!

Post 8

Jory

I find that the links to the FAQ and to the full list of "Don't Panic" entries both lead right back
to the frontpage. I am in a spin. I am dizzy. I click ....I click... I click....I end up where I started.
Someone help me. Stop the circle!
-Jory

Sorry

Post 9

Jory

Somehow got a double post. It must be the vertigo.
-Jory

I fear I must Panic!!

Post 10

Slacker

You are indeed correct - this is being fixed as we speak, and the links should work as expected before the 'official' launch this evening at 7pm BST.

Tim

How to add an entry to h2g2

Post 11

Slacker

Ok, adding an entry...

To do this, you simply add a new user page on your own home page, and then ask us to look at it. This is how you do this...

Use the 'my home' button to get to your home page, then click on the "Add a new user page" link near the bottom. In the page that results from this, type in your entry subject and main text, and then click the 'add page' button.

You should then see your proposed entry listed on your home page (under Most Recent User Pages).

Now you just click the 'edit' link next to your new page, and read the section marked "Consider for rejection" smiley - smiley

When you submit it, it enters a queue that the editors will read and pass judgement on, deciding whether or not to place your page as an official h2g2 entry.

Please don't email us asking us to put your page into h2g2 - the "Consider for rejection" process is the only way that your pages can be approved for inclusion as a real h2g2 entry.

All of this will soon be addressed in detail in the "Don't Panic" pages.

Of course, even if your proposed entry is not accepted as an official entry, everyone can still see it on your home page, do searches for it, and so on.

Tim

Post 12

Dyson4000

Hi,

I cound't get this to work at all with Netscape (4.08) but it seems to work dandy in Internet Exploder 4.

Post 13

Jim Lynn

What was it that didn't work in Netscape? We're keen to fix any bugs.

Post 14

Dyson4000

I'd imagine it has something to do with cookies. Even after registering (using netscape) the "My home" icon on the goo-bar never appeared. I did the same thing with IE, and the "My home" icon was there.

Post 15

Dyson4000

How about horny toads?

Post 16

Jim Lynn

Make sure you go to www.h2g2.com and not h2g2.com. This is important.

Post 17

rbrwr

The email you get on registration gives you a link to h2g2.com, not www.h2g2.com.

Which might not be such a good idea.

Post 18

Marty De Facto

I only get an "edit my page" button, no add a user page.. Can someone explain this?

Post 19

Marty De Facto

HAHA! The fates have been beaten back...With a mighty thrust of my Shift-Reload I suddenly ahve the ability to enter pages!

Post 20

FrEaK_wAvE

I can't see any "Add a new user page" link on my homepage I am beggining to panic!

Key: Complain about this post