A Conversation for Talking Point: Fantasy Resignations

Star Trek resignation

Post 1

Shibumi

The big win resignation I've had in mind for a few years but never had the chance to use it is the "Star Trek resignation". The basic idea is as follows:

1. Purchase authentic looking Star Trek uniform to wear to work.

2. Refer to your superiors as Captain, Admiral or other appropriate title. When asked to do something respond with "Aye Captain" or similar.

3. Staff you have a supervisory responsibility for call No 1 or Yeoman depending on their perceived status within the organisation. When these members of staff suggest an idea, use the classic Jean Luc Picard response of "Make it so!"

4. Your organisation should now be referred to as "the Federation". Competitors become Romulans (or Borg in the case of hostile takeovers). Trustworthy but humourless colleagues Vulcans. I'm sure you get the idea...

5. When entering or leaving a room ensure there is an audible "shisht" noise when opening and closing doors.

6. Don't push buttons in the lifts, simply tell the lift where you want to go - it will understand. Avoid using keyboards or mice - shout your command and the computer and ensure your anger at the lack of response is obvious.

7. Phone numbers at random asking for a status report - especially immediately after fire drills...

8. Continue the above and other similar behaviours until the company arranges a psychiatric assessment.

My last boss was a major Trekkie so I'm sure he would have seen the funny side - for the first couple of days. Sadly I was looking for a good reference so couldn't use this form of farewell (plus I've no idea where to buy the uniform).


Star Trek resignation

Post 2

Wennakat


Hi,

I'm sure with some solid web searching you could find a uniform. I've seen them around in various levels of quality. A decent one will be expensive. I suggest you stay away from the uniforms from any of the movies because they are pretty much uniformly smiley - smiley ugly.

In the office/ship environment you would have to make sure to appropriately rank yourself, and the tricky bit would be ensuring other staff (especially those beneath you) also display appropriate insignia.

As weekends approach you could refer to the upcoming shore leave.

When major problems occur you could suggest reversing the polarity.

If things turn really ugly you can use the excellent Holodeck phrase "computer end program" then look honestly concerned and surprised if your environment does not instantly change into a gridded, empty, room.

If someone suggests something you don't like you can try arguing that it would contravene the Prime Directive.

You could ask nubile visitors to the office to teach you first-hand about the Earth activity called "kissing".

Your plan has definite potential, and I will bear it in mind for when my time comes.

Best regards,

Lieutenant WennaKat
Starship Titanic



Star Trek resignation

Post 3

EncyBass-: Not going to be around much next week, cos I've got a new job...

If you go to work as a red-jumpered security guard from the original show, do you get sacked?


Star Trek resignation

Post 4

Wennakat


Fired, maybe, but on prior evidence I think you'd be more likely to get bludgeoned to death on the conference room table, or drained of your body salt, poisoned by strange fruit, destabilised at a molecular level in a freak transporter accident or otherwised brought to a swift demise in some weird and tragic manner.

Do *NOT* wear a red shirt, ever. It's just too dangerous.

Lt WennaKat


Star Trek resignation

Post 5

Wargamer (The Wanderer)

But the red guys were originally engineers, and now they're bridge staff, yet the Red Shirt thing still seems to apply... Someone should warn the Captain!

Anyway, continuing the Star Trek weirdness...

When you're off sick, blame it on theta radiation caused by a tacion phase inversion in the deuterium reactor.

When the boss asks you to do something you don't want to do, accuse him of being under an alien influence.


Star Trek resignation

Post 6

Wennakat

Hmm...


Tachyon phase inversion would be more likely to put you out of step with everyone else in a temporal sense (ie put you into a time shift), rather than give a theta radiation burn, but I can see your heart's in the right place. *grin*

Do you think we have a few trekkers here? smiley - smiley

Trek on!

Lt WennaKat


Star Trek resignation

Post 7

Ralph the Wonder Llama and André the dodo; Excrement Occurs

The red shirts are Ship's services, blue is sciences and gold is command, I think...


Star Trek resignation

Post 8

EncyBass-: Not going to be around much next week, cos I've got a new job...

Another good one would be if, when asked to do anything, shout "I'm a doctor, not a photocopier/tea-maker/computer operator, dammit!"

This probably wouldn't work if you are, in fact, a doctor, though.
"I'm a doctor, not a doctor, dammit!"


Star Trek resignation

Post 9

Wennakat


Hi Ralph (and André),

Your assessment is spot on for original Trek (TOS) with Kirk and Spock, but they changed the colours for The Next Generation (TNG) with Picard et al. In TNG Command is Red, Medical types are blue and Ships services - techs and security -- are gold, which includes engineering and Data (which is good because the gold picks up his eyes beautifully).

Worf (security) was in Gold, until he was promoted to command (red);
Dr Crusher was in Blue, except when she took command (red);
Picard was in Red, except the episode wherein Q made him a sciency Lieutenant;
and I watch far too much Startrek (Im wearing black, white and rose).

In my favour though I haven't even noticed the colours in the new series, "Enterprise". Would someone like to take over? smiley - smiley

Lt WennaKat


Star Trek resignation

Post 10

Ralph the Wonder Llama and André the dodo; Excrement Occurs

Haven't seen ENTERPRISE yet. My assessment is also not quite right for the movies, in wich white is command, olive is sciences, and some other ones wich I've forgotten.


Star Trek resignation

Post 11

Lifson Kofie

Last time I saw Enterprise was a while ago I'll admit, but as I recall,

Red = Command
Gold = Engineering/Security etc.
Kinda purple/blue = medical

HTH


Star Trek resignation

Post 12

ExpatChick

is Enterprise still running? i sadly sadly now live in a country where there is NO star trek, of any description. i thought enterprise never made it past the first season (i saw the first few episodes before emigrating from the world of trek)


Star Trek resignation

Post 13

Ralph the Wonder Llama and André the dodo; Excrement Occurs

I don't know, all they show here is reruns of Voyager and DS9


Star Trek resignation

Post 14

Wennakat


Hi,

I just checked on the Paramount website - just wrapped up Season 2 of Enterprise, so I guess it must be going ok.

It took quite a few episodes to grow on me, took me a while to even get past the theme SONG (with words and everything). Trek? With a theme song?

Anyway, then there was the whole getting over the Quantum Leap guy being captain....but, if you can get past all that, it's not too bad. It never really feels like Trek to me, but it is scifi and that counts for a lot.

It's no Babylon 5 (sadly).

If anyone out there has a chance to watch Babylon 5 from the beginning, do it. Definitely worth while.

All the very best,

WennaKat
(in a country where Entreprise is on sometime between 11 and 12 midnight on a Wednesday when there isn't some dumb sporting event to bump it for.)


Star Trek resignation

Post 15

Ralph the Wonder Llama and André the dodo; Excrement Occurs

At least you get a chance to let it growsmiley - sadface









smiley - cool


Star Trek resignation

Post 16

Wennakat

M,

Awwww.......*cuddle*

W


Star Trek resignation

Post 17

gamortie

Hi Guys.

This is my first time in so I apologise if I get this wrong, ettiquete wise.

As I understand the colour codings in TNG/DS9/VOY, Blue was Sciences, which included Medical. Hence Jadzia Dax, who was DS9's science officer, wore blue.

Keep the Trek stuff coming!


Star Trek resignation

Post 18

Lifson Kofie

Yes - I believe you're right. Science in blue, engineering in gold.

Apparently the "red" is actually cranberry. I read that somewhere.


Star Trek resignation

Post 19

Wennakat

So then I guess the question is, why does Data wear gold? Surely he is pretty much science officer. He isn't security, he isn't engineering (though, as we all know, he is a little bit of everything).

Maybe he just didn't look good in blue or red. smiley - tongueout

WennaKat


Star Trek resignation

Post 20

Ralph the Wonder Llama and André the dodo; Excrement Occurs

Data is the OPS officer, wich is sort of what Chekov does in TOS. Harry Kim wears gold in VGR, as he, to is OPS officer.


Key: Complain about this post