Written in Black and Wight: X Marks the Spot

0 Conversations

This week we are going where no cunning linguists have gone before. In the 150 years since study of the Isle of Wight's dialect began, no previous publication has ever dedicated a chapter or section to the letter X. Largely because no recorded Isle of Wight word actually begins with the letter X.

We have not let such a trifling matter deter us, and by a combination of ingenuity and desperately scraping the bottom of the barrel, the Post brings you a World Exclusive.

X

The quiz below combines every single recorded word containing the letter 'X' that has been recorded in either A Glossary of Isle of Wight Words by Major Henry Smith and Charles Roach Smith (1876), A Dictionary of Isle of Wight Dialect by WH Long (1886) or Isle of Wight Dialect by Jack Lavers MBE (1988).

X Marks the Spot

Can You match the correct words from the meanings listed below?

Isle of Wight

WordDefinition
AxWax
ExDung Heap
MexonBox used to sow corn
MixenAsk
Next DayField of oxen
OxlaysAn axle
VluxDung Heap
WexTo be hit with wings
Zide BoxDay after tomorrow

Main Round

Isle of Wight

There are three possible answers listed for each word below, but only one is correct. Can You guess which is right?

Axen

  • Evil Doctor Beeching's reaction to the Isle of Wight's railway network.
  • Publishing the banns of marriage.
  • Asking a question.

Devvul's Snuff-Box

Dungmexen

  • A mezzanine floor.
  • Someone who wants to build a wall across the border with Mexico.
  • A dunghill.

Extry

  • An extraterrestrial and/or someone from the Mainland.
  • Bumping into your ex at an awkward moment, such as at a social event.
  • Extra.

Kex

  • A dry stalk of hemlock or cow-parsley.
  • A number of small barrels.
  • A measurement of kilocycles per second.

Kix or Kixies

  • A kickback or recoil.
  • Fairies said to haunt Bloodstone Copse and the Long Stone.
  • Sloe, the bullace or wild plum.

Nubby Dux

  • A Dandy.
  • A Beano.
  • Waddling ducks.

Onaxd

  • Unasked
  • Uncoupled, no longer attached.
  • A cutting, galeforce onshore wind.

Pixe

  • Swine
  • Boxing match.
  • Implement that, like a shovel, is used to dig dig dig dig dig dig dig in a quarry the whole day through.

Rox

  • Heavy lumps of ground bigger than stones.
  • Pieces next to the Horsies on a chess set.
  • A dry cough.

Roxell

  • Wrestling.
  • A rocking chair.
  • A rodent, such as rat or red squirrel.

Saacebox

  • Small, square portion of ketchup or brown source given away in cafes that, due to the packaging, is impossible to actually open.
  • A saucy boy.
  • Ballot box.

Vox

  • A town cryer.
  • A fox.
  • A vortex or whirlpool in the Solent.

Zix

  • Six.
  • Feeling sick.
  • Trouser zip.

Click on the picture for the answers!

Map of the Isle of Wight in words.
A - B - C - D - E - F - G
H - I - J - K - L -
M
N - O - P - Q - R - S - T
U - V - W - X
A reader of the h2g2 Post
The Bluebottle Archive

Bluebottle

29.01.18 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87903291

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more