A Conversation for Club Zork

Sign Up

Post 1

The Artist Formerly Known as Nerd42

You can sign up here. Tell your H2G2 nickname, and your favorite text adventure game.

smiley - towelNerd42


Sign Up

Post 2

Lentilla (Keeper of Non-Sequiturs)

This sounds like fun. You might put a thread on the h2g2 community board, and let more people know about it that way.

Favorite text adventure? Hmm.... I'm not sure that I have a favorite. I like Leather Goddesses, Starcross, all the Zork games, HHGG (of course), and many more. Haven't had the chance to play them all, and some are more straightline than others. I prefer the games with multiple solutions.


Sign Up

Post 3

The Artist Formerly Known as Nerd42

I'm putting posts about this everywhere that even remotely has to do with Zork, or new clubs that I can find!

Was that a "Yes, I want to join" or just a "Make sure you get the word out?" smiley - biggrin

smiley - towelNerd42


Sign Up

Post 4

Lentilla (Keeper of Non-Sequiturs)

Both!


Sign Up

Post 5

Santragenius V

I'm in a maze with little twisted passages all looking alike - so I might as well sign up... smiley - winkeye

Honestly, I'd like to! Done the Zorks and loved them, got stuck - of all things - with the intelligence screening door in HHGG, which I didn't like too much (but could see the amusing angle in)...

GuideML hint: if you do a "LINK BIO", you won't have to copy member's nicks - and they will even stay updated... Check <./>GuideML-LINK</.> for details...

<./>GuideML-Syntax</.> is a good place to go for an update on how to do GuideML - it does tell why and how it's different from HTML.


Sign Up

Post 6

The Artist Formerly Known as Nerd42

Great! I'll put both of you on the list. I'm a bit busy learning Inform right now, but GuideML is next after that on my priority list of languages to learn on my own time. (I'm learning C++ at school too, and Inform is a "new" version of the language that the Zorks were written in.)

Also, to new members of Club Zork: tell me which is your favorite smiley so I can put it next to your name!

smiley - towelNerd42


Sign Up

Post 7

The Corrupt One

Hey there! Of course I'd like to sign up... let's see, favorite games. Hm, that's a toughie. Witness was the first Infocom game I played, and in fact is the only one that I actually *own* a copy of. And of course I loved HHGG. Dunno about a lot of the rest, though, because I can't find the collection anywhere!

Nerd42... how long have you been trying to learn Inform? I have quite a bit of experience with it (though no actual games that I'd put out publicly, I'll admit... but one big one in the works) if you want to discuss it at all. smiley - smiley

smiley - devil Kudos


Sign Up

Post 8

Garius Lupus

You can sign me up, too. I've played quite a few of the Infocom games and am still playing my way through them. As for a favourite, well, that's hard. I really liked zork zero, since it was so big. I also really liked Plundered Hearts - it was easy, but immersive. Planetfall and starcross were other ones that stand out in my memory. My smiley smiley - fullmoon


Sign Up

Post 9

The Artist Formerly Known as Nerd42

OK. I'll add you guys to the list, but about the smileys: Tell me which word within greater-than & less-than symbols will show your smileys just so that I can put them next to your names, because I'm not a walking encyclopedia of smileys, and I don't have time to go and look at the list to figure yours out! WHEW!

About Inform: just started, looks easy. If I could just get a compiler I would be OK because I have the latest reference book on a PDF. I'm learning Inform on my lesure time, not my important-stuff big-time programming time. I have lots of ideas for when I finally get it learned like this one: You are a thief (not THE thief, but A thief) who uses the golden time machine in the Royal Museum to go back and prevent the death of Dimwit Flathead, and comes back to the future to discover the world ruled by an even worse tyrant: Adolf Flathead & and his GUPs. (Great Underground secret Police) smiley - biggrin What do you think?

smiley - towelNerd42


Sign Up

Post 10

The Artist Formerly Known as Nerd42

About the smileys: Never mind what I said just now. Just put your smiley somewhere in your post and I'll get it because I just figured it out. You just put the mouse over the smiley and the correct word appears in the bar at the bottom of the browser. (PCs, Macs, IE, Netscape, don't matter, always shows up, "everything's cool and froody", "don't forget your towel", and whatever you do: Don't Panic!)
smiley - towelNerd42


Sign Up

Post 11

The Artist Formerly Known as Nerd42

From now on, to sign up, follow these extremely confusing directions:

If your name isn't on the list, then sign in your post how you want your name to appear in the list like this:
smiley - chocDimwit Flathead (the Excessive)
smiley - planetFloyd (a robot from Planetfall and Stationfall)
smiley - fullmoonthe Lurking Horror (from, where else?, the Lurking Horror)

This way, the list can look organized as more people sign up, and everybody can have a quote next to their name AND their favorite smiley. When I updated the list, I found out the Santragenius V was the only person who didn't have a quote, so I put in one of the good bits from HHGG. (I hope I got the right planet, sorry if I didn't, and if you don't like it, I'll change it)

smiley - towelNerd42


Sign Up

Post 12

The Artist Formerly Known as Nerd42

Try casting KENDALL on the directions above. You never know, it might work!

smiley - towelNerd42


Sign Up

Post 13

The Corrupt One

*types XYZZY to get away quickly...* smiley - winkeye


Sign Up

Post 14

Lord Dimwit

smiley - empty Lord Dimwit. Good to be here.

Tried all of the Zorks in my youth but was never too successful in them. Kept trying to kill the thief in Zork I and the wizard and the dragon in Zork II (I figured it had to work sometime smiley - steam).

It was only in later grown-up years that I really was able to return to the games and make any progress. This goes with my theory that Zork is not a children's game, not by virtue of content but rather in the sort of reasoning that's used smiley - headhurts.

Seems that 'xyzzy' is a sort of good way of getting yourself insulted in a Zork game...

**Frobozz Node #D3**


Sign Up

Post 15

The Artist Formerly Known as Nerd42

OK great. I'll give you the chocolate smiley because I was going to make "Dimwit Flathead" be a member just as a joke, with the chocolate smiley, because of the truffles. I never thought that anybody would actually chose that name! Kinda funny.

smiley - towelNerd42


Sign Up

Post 16

Fadookie the Froody- Veggie Poetry@A2248733

Oooh, looks like fun!
Fadookie The Froody
U192271
Hrmmm, I'd say Zork or HHGTTG (I've been wanting to try planetfall also- can't seem to get a hold of a copy)

-FTFsmiley - donut


Sign Up

Post 17

Fadookie the Froody- Veggie Poetry@A2248733

Oh, here's my name line:
smiley - donutFadookie the Froody (Still scouring the dungeons for a donut)

I'll be willing to give you some help with GuideML too- waht do you want to do with it?

-FTFsmiley - donut


Sign Up

Post 18

Garius Lupus

You can play any of the infocom games at the site mentioned on the main page:
http://infocom.elsewhere.org/
You can even save games there, too.

And this site, also listed on the main page, has all of the infocom games for download:
http://www.latz.org/infocom/index.shtml


Sign Up

Post 19

Fadookie the Froody- Veggie Poetry@A2248733

Thanks Garius!

-FTFsmiley - donut


Sign Up

Post 20

The Artist Formerly Known as Nerd42

You can play zork online in several various places, but this one a very very cool site: "http://thcnet.net/error/index.php" I'm putting it on the main page, as well as all of your resarcher numbers, after your quotes, so that people can go to your personal spaces. Also, we might want to work out something we could do with the new "Friends" feature. I'm not quite shure what it's for yet, but it looks cool. Also, welcome to the club, frood. Nerd42


Key: Complain about this post